PDA

View Full Version : tryin MX for the first time

finsteratv
08-05-2011, 10:14 PM
okay guys so i love 4wheelers and hoping to do xc soon but with the purchase of my new bike i have an offer from a family friend to start racing MX on my bike with them. they said they can give me tips,train me,etc etc..im already new to dirtbikes nd relearning them but i pick sports up very fast and tend to be good, im very athletic..im wondering if i should try it? thoughts?

Exrider434
08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
It's harder than it looks, but seat time is key. The more you practice the better you'll do.

slightlybent47
08-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Only one way to find out! Get it there and get after it!
Being athletic is not going to insure your success. There so many other things that determine a good rider. So give it a try and see how you do.

madskrillz2
08-06-2011, 02:12 AM
I mean if they're offering you all that help I don't see why you'd turn it down. Believe me, if you do, you'll regret it later.

finsteratv
08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
i think im gonna go for it. probalem is my dad hurtn his leg logging so he cant take me riding and my moms busy..maybe next week :ermm: i never imagined myself wanting to but after riding that 125, it puts s whole new meaning on riding :D

HondaPohl
08-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Good luck kid!

finsteratv
08-06-2011, 02:40 PM
thanks! going trail riding tommorow with my mom haha so hopefully i can hit the track next weekend :)

Gray33
08-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
how many of these guys have you met? last trip to the dunes i was on a sand access road to the main dunes which is about 3 miles long of whooooops..its about the width of a somewhat wide 2 lane road. so i was doing top of 3rd bottom of 4th and these 20 somthin year old guys on built dune raptors are just put putin along on the side in a line so i decide what anybody would do. i get over to the left and keep my flow through the whoops. once i get to the staging area and wait for the rest of my family who dont exactly ride whoops fast...these raptors guys come out and give me all these death glares, then all 3 decide to sling gravel at me?????? they're all pissed and i have no idea why..all i know is that gravel hit my bike and it may only be a 400 but 14 and i bought it. its my pride and joy. kinda gives me a bad taste like what others have said about craptor riders..i know they all arent but d@mn. sorry just kinda had to vent, i mean we already battle enviromentalists and such, why do some riders have to get all pissy with eachother too? maybe they didnt like a kid on a 400 goin faster then them :chinese: hah..sorry needed to vent..lets hear your experiences?

Starting your mx debut after passing 3 casual riders lol; Man...no wonder you can ride them whoops so fasssssssst....

finsteratv
08-06-2011, 05:57 PM
haha i saw them in the open dunes and they're by no means casual and at camp they had one of those 100000000000000 dollar sand cars :eek2: but yeah maybe its a place where i can pass with no questions asked in the whoops. haha..trail riding tommorow and hopefully mx next week actually :D

trailrider894
08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Just don't go out over confident... I have raced MX for near to 3yrs now, and the key really is a good pace for all the laps. don't go all out first lap. Take is loosly and don't do the death grip.

Also something i found extrememly helpful on some jumps, and is staying planted on the seat of my atv. I just grip with my knees, and fly!!

MX MaNiAc 06
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Just close your eyes and pin it. Thats what the pros do!

Balaz_73*00
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Pin it, do wheelies, and bump people!

TheLane
08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Just don't go out over confident... I have raced MX for near to 3yrs now, and the key really is a good pace for all the laps. don't go all out first lap. Take is loosly and don't do the death grip.

Also something i found extrememly helpful on some jumps, and is staying planted on the seat of my atv. I just grip with my knees, and fly!!

Wait a sec wasn't there just a post saying you were just starting mx and switching from trails??

trailrider894
08-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
Wait a sec wasn't there just a post saying you were just starting mx and switching from trails??

No? Not that i recall... lol I posted in March or so about getting back into the game again after my accident, but not me.

phreak
08-11-2011, 07:56 AM
dude' all over the place with his tales.

seated jumps????

proves he has NO mx experience.

chronicsmoke
08-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Practice cornering.. races are won and lost in the corners. Anybody that's on the track with you will have a similar straight time through the straights.. I practice cornering and whoops ~75% of time spent practicing.

You just need to practice, all of the advise you get on here is useless without the seat time to apply it.

A couple from Denver moved to my home town (both have 2010 YFZs) and they say that I gain 1-2 seconds on every corner over the other riders, so I guess its paying off (gave me a little bounce in my step anyway haha). I dont even notice, I just focus on the task at hand :macho

trailrider894
08-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by phreak
dude' all over the place with his tales.

seated jumps????

proves he has NO mx experience.

Seated jumps are nice when you are just doing a little table or double right before a corner, because you are already seated upon the landing so you don't have to play around with getting setup for the corner. You see the pro's doin it all the time. OBVIOUSLY, you aren't gonna be doing that on a 30ft double.... duh.

TheLane
08-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Seated jumps are nice when you are just doing a little table or double right before a corner, because you are already seated upon the landing so you don't have to play around with getting setup for the corner. You see the pro's doin it all the time. OBVIOUSLY, you aren't gonna be doing that on a 30ft double.... duh.

*has never done a seated jump* (((well other than back in the day when i was a nuub))

chronicsmoke
08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I dont do any seated jumps, but I dont consider myself 'an expert' either. I do race, the only time my arse hits the seat (on jumps obvi.) is if I pull up the rear end with my legs in the air and try and land plush on the landing.. and its more of a tap. Works for me

Sometimes when I'm just putting around the track I sit down, but it always throws me towards the front of the bike (tries to put me over the bars)

phreak
08-12-2011, 11:42 AM
You see the pro's doin it all the time.
no... no you don't.

TheLane
08-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by phreak
no... no you don't.

lol cmon bro! dont you see chad weinen sitting down over every jump, duh....that way he can already be set for the next turn....
everyone knows that being seated and already leaning for your next turn in the air totally sets up your landing to be as smooth as possible.

http://www.atvriders.com/atvracing/neatvmx/2009/06-richard-pelchat-can-am-ds450-atv-wreck.jpg

finsteratv
08-14-2011, 06:20 PM
hahaha^
and thanks for all the advice guys! btw its on a bike not atv hah.

chronicsmoke
08-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
hahaha^
and thanks for all the advice guys! btw its on a bike not atv hah.

My next toy is a 125 2 stroke bike. Ive got no recent experience on a bike, but they look fun as hell

blaster99
08-14-2011, 06:33 PM
It would make more sense to hit a small jump sitting down right out of a turn... not going into one. Sitting down off of a jump will give you the slightest bit more distance, so assuming your coming out of a corner wide open and hitting a jump that is very difficult, you may need to sit down to make it all the way. I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you have A LOT of experience though.

finsteratv
08-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
My next toy is a 125 2 stroke bike. Ive got no recent experience on a bike, but they look fun as hell
i took mine out trail riding even though they're supposed to suck on trails and it was amazing, super fun. i definately go faster on a bike then a quad. you get beat up wayyyy less and picking lines is a breeze just a little 8 inch path on hill climbs. just a little clutch work and keeping her wound to heaven :D

TheLane
08-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by blaster99
It would make more sense to hit a small jump sitting down right out of a turn... not going into one. Sitting down off of a jump will give you the slightest bit more distance, so assuming your coming out of a corner wide open and hitting a jump that is very difficult, you may need to sit down to make it all the way. I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you have A LOT of experience though.

I think your talking about seat bounce, hes talking about staying seated all the way the way through the air.

trailrider894
08-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I've only found one MX track that is works at... In order to understand, you would have to see a video or picture to see the point. It has to be the most awkward jump, whoop, corner section i have ever riden.

blaster99
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
I think your talking about seat bounce, hes talking about staying seated all the way the way through the air.

ahh gotchya. Yeah I wouldn't recommend sitting down for a landing unless your 1st gear, or you have an invincible spine haha