View Full Version : Failure to signal?

Rootar
08-05-2011, 03:45 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH i got a ticket so right off the ticket

it was 2pm, on a rural road, two- lane hwy, and it is a No signal - 27-51-403.

I called and found out the ticket was $165 :eek2:

Only problem im having is finding that statute on the internet because i did have my left blinker on (in a left turn only lane if that matters) when i arrived at the stop sign.

The setting is a two lane road that ends at a 2 lane higway. The stop sign is just barely out of the trees where you turn onto the highway (has left and right only lanes at the sign) I stop at the sign blinker on, cars on right about 150yards out, on coming traffic (the cop) solid 100 yards away. So i pull out and go on my way when the cop whips a u turn and hits his lights on the cars behind me i thought they were speeding or something. Well they move over and he comes to get me. Said he pulled me over for no signal and im thinking :confused: i said "Officer im certin i used my blinker, its one of my biggest pet peeves when driving" he said he did not see it and took my lisence and registration. Well he takes FOREVER to come back to my truck almost 10mins (was watching the clock becasue i had somewhere to be) and he hands me a ticket. I was speechless.

Honestly Ive gotten two speeding tickets over the last 4-5 years and i paid them and went on my business because i was speeding and i didnt deny it. This time though it really pissed me off that this jackwagon gives me a ticket over something i harp on everyone for. 1st he is atleast 100 yards away looking at a freshly washed and polished white and chrome front end, I dunno how he could even see my signal considering it was in direct sunlight. I was completely honest and respectful (best way to be with them). Yet he still gives me a ticket? for a no signal when he is too far away to even see if i had my window rolled down or up basically.

Can any help me find the actaul law every time i search i keep getting these dmv scam sites that are privately owned with crap for info. Its not really the cost of the ticket but more the principle that he gave me a ticket when he was not in position to make a good judgement. I also believe that the signal is only required for the last 100 before beignning the turn. So when i arrived at the stop sign my signal usually goes off as soon as i turn the wheels (97 model doesnt stay on). I just keep all the facts before i go to court. If anyone else has fought a no signal ticket please chime in.

Rootar
08-05-2011, 04:02 PM
found it finally! as reads

27-51-403. Signals for turning, stopping, changing lanes, or decreasing speed required.

(a) No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course upon a highway unless and until the movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after giving a clearly audible signal by sounding the horn if any pedestrian may be affected by the movement or after giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in subsection (b) of this section in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

(b) A signal of intention to change lanes or to turn right or left shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet (100') traveled by the vehicle before changing lanes or turning.

(c) No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this subchapter to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give such signal.

quad2xtreme
08-05-2011, 04:16 PM
NC wouldn't have a budget problem if they gave out tickets for not using blinkers.

Here, a blinker is a warning to the driver behind you that you intend to take his space. A blinker merely results in erratic behavior from the drivers behind you to close the gap you can't change lanes.

I grew up using blinkers so it ticks me off when people purposely change their speed to close the gap.

HondaPohl
08-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Fight it brotha!

slightlybent47
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by HondaPohl
Fight it brotha!

x2

Yeah I’d fight that all the way. Ask for a jury trial so you get regular folks to determine your guilt and not leave it up to a judge. A judge will side for the cop every time.

Kickstarts-suck
08-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Just thought id share its also pisses me off when people dont use blinkers.. :scary:

Hope you get it taken care of.

Rootar
08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
The reason im a hardcore signal stictler is that about 4 years ago i had a wreck one time because i was on a 4 lane road at sunset, i t was raining lightly, i moved into the left lane because a car was turning in front of me and im crusiing along about 5 under, no real hurry. All of a sudden there is a car jsut sitting in the road (waiting to turn left, no turn lane) well there was a car beside me of i stoodd on the brakes but it was too late. I went under the other car, wasnt wearing my seat belt so i went through the windshield and
my arm went through the dash.

If have had anything beatin into my thick head its how important proper signaling is. Inconsiderit drivers bothered me before but after that it im 10x worse.

at worse ill still get the ticket but what could they tack on as far as court cost BS.

CJM
08-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Fight it, might win, might not. Its your word vs the cop. Proving he is wrong is not easy.

I got the same ticket in NJ and its only 85 bucks. I know I signaled but arguing with a jerk of a cop doesnt work.

Rootar
08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
i juist dont want it on my record, insurance is high enough at 22 with a truck and a car.

CJM
08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
i juist dont want it on my record, insurance is high enough at 22 with a truck and a car.

Then pay for a lawyer, but your gonna either pay upfront or later on-no real way out of it. Pay the lawyer the money now or pay the insurance later kinda deal. I know it sucks.

trailrider894
08-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, coming from a guy going through police academy, i would say that he was out of line with it. Take it to court and fight it. Whatever you do!!! Never argue to a point or fight when you are on the side of the road still on the traffic stop. Save it for court!!! Either way, we all make silly mistakes and maybe you did forget to do it and swear you did. It happens to me at work all the time....

OldGuyonaQuad
08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
x2

Yeah I’d fight that all the way. Ask for a jury trial so you get regular folks to determine your guilt and not leave it up to a judge. A judge will side for the cop every time.

A jury trial for traffic court? Really? Guess they do things different down thar :D

CJM and trailrider gave you great advice. In most traffic courts you can ask to see the prosecutor to plea margain. Usually they will let you plead guilty to a charge that doesn't have points attached. They just want to get paid. Recently they changed the law in NJ where it's a $250 charge just to plea plus all fines you have pending.

If you go to court with the intention of fighting this your best bet is with a lawyer. Judges were what before they were judges? Right lawyers. It's the ole boy network. Get a lawyer who is local to the area where you have to go to court.

If you decide to go to court and fight this on your own you will in all likelihood lose and have to pay the fine plus court costs.

One last thing. "Yes sir, your honor" " No sir your honor" & dress nicely.

trailrider894
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
A jury trial for traffic court? Really? Guess they do things different down thar :D

CJM and trailrider gave you great advice. In most traffic courts you can ask to see the prosecutor to plea margain. Usually they will let you plead guilty to a charge that doesn't have points attached. They just want to get paid. Recently they changed the law in NJ where it's a $250 charge just to plea plus all fines you have pending.

If you go to court with the intention of fighting this your best bet is with a lawyer. Judges were what before they were judges? Right lawyers. It's the ole boy network. Get a lawyer who is local to the area where you have to go to court.

If you decide to go to court and fight this on your own you will in all likelihood lose and have to pay the fine plus court costs.

One last thing. "Yes sir, your honor" " No sir your honor" & dress nicely.

X2 ha ha if you are nice enough, you might even make some friends!!

JForestZ34
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad

I don't think they do trials for this kind of offense..

Recently they changed the law in NJ where it's a $250 charge just to plea plus all fines you have pending.

Yup I know this law.. Got nailed with it once.. They call it unsafe driving... You can plead down to this and would cost you $250 plus court cost.. Only bad thing about this law is if you plead to this twice in 3 years they take your license for 6 months :eek2:

Also don't waste your money on a lawyer. You can do this all yourself and honestly he will just take more of your money...

The sucky thing about this is beside pleading down to anything is you most likely will lose your fight unless you plea..

The other thing you might have going for you is when in court ask to see the cam video to see if your turn signal can be seen on the video camera mounted in the patrol car..

Good Luck,

James

CJM
08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Yep, I got fooled into it once too. I plead to it once before but it wasnt nearly as bad. I shoulda taken the careless driving charge which was cheaper but carried points and just paid it and shut up.

KAWIRYDER
08-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Hope this might help. A guy I know got a ticket for speeding in a friends vehicle. So he went to court and they asked him how he pleaded and he said not guilty and that he wanted a jury trial. The judged asked why and he said first it wasn't his truck and the officer wasn't in the right position to get a correct speed as he was coming into a corner and blah blah blah. He says that he feels that a jury would give him a fair chance. He then said or I will pay the fine as long as the ticket does not go on his record. I also heard don't know if it is true though, that if you over pay on the ticket with check they will send you a check back and if you don't cash that return check then they won't submit the ticket because the case hasn't been settled completely! I don't know if that works or not just heard it. Good luck!!!:D

CJM
08-15-2011, 08:56 AM
The check thing is overpaying by like a cent and they gotta mail you back a refund and you dont cash it and such. It doesnt work.

As for getting away in traffic court with anything-the officer will more than likely win 9x out of 10x. The town is in it for the money, not much else so more tickets=more money they want/need. If your lucky enough to get a jury trial it might work out in your favor, or sometimes a lawyer will help.

Its not traffic court, but Ill explain how a lawyer can really help when your in deep. Someone I know was driving a car with a busted headlight (they hit a deer and messed up the car). The car was already beat up and driving around they would get pulled over all the time too cause they looked very young (think 20 but looked 15). Anyways they had weed in the car, locked in the trunk as well as paraphernalia. Officer pulled them over for headlight and when friend that was with them got thier license out a baggie fell out of thier pocket containing pills. The officer decided this gave reason to a search, didnt ask to do it either. Cuffed them both and searched and found the stuff in the trunk. Kids got booked and released and driven back to thier car (odd imho but they did). Come time for court, they hire a lawyer, long story short-lawyer got them out of EVERYTHING but the headlight ticket b/c didnt have probable cause to search the car and didnt follow procedure. Now, imagine they hadnt hired a lawyer. Cost them a grand but saved them form probation and having it on thier record. Now thats an extreme situation but you get the idea.

JForestZ34
08-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't think you can just go into a court room and tell the judge you want a jury trial for a minor traffic offense. Maybe if you ran a red light and hurt someone but for a simple failure to use a turn signal the court/judge will NOT waste township money for a jury trial on a ticket as simple as this.

And for the other statement about overpaying on your ticket. I've seen people get their license suspended because the court would send the check back with a letter saying you over paid the fine and in the letter it has the correct amount. And in this letter it said they had 7 business day to pay the ticket or license and reg will be suspended.

Don't try and play games with them. They know all the tricks by now. Either pay the ticket or talk with the DA and plea it down. 98% chance your going to loose if you try to fight it the way it is.

James

slightlybent47
08-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes here you can request a jury trial for a traffic ticket. The reason being is this gives you an option that doesn’t involve the court, the judge or the officer that wrote the ticket.
If it’s only left up to a judge then the court could be bias and never side for the public. Here they have to give you the option.

Fighting the ticket is a good option. I got a ticket in a town that was notorious for righting tickets for everything you could image. I’ve seen people get tickets for 1 mph over the posted speed in that town. When I was in school a friend got a ticket for speeding on his bicycle on his way to school from the same department.

The ticket I got was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sine. I went to court and pleaded not guilty and requested a jury trial.
All I had was my word, and I won the case. One of the reasons I won was because all the jurors were from that same town and most of them had been in court fighting there own tickets. Given there reputation all the jurors had no problem finding me not guilty.
This may not work as well in a big city as the jury pool is much bigger.

I have been a truck driver for many years and have received many tickets and all the ones that I fought, I won, and with no lawyer.

Never be afraid to stand up for yourself, they can’t penalize you for exercising your writes.

JForestZ34
08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Yes here you can request a jury trial for a traffic ticket. The reason being is this gives you an option that doesn’t involve the court, the judge or the officer that wrote the ticket.
If it’s only left up to a judge then the court could be bias and never side for the public. Here they have to give you the option.

Fighting the ticket is a good option. I got a ticket in a town that was notorious for righting tickets for everything you could image. I’ve seen people get tickets for 1 mph over the posted speed in that town. When I was in school a friend got a ticket for speeding on his bicycle on his way to school from the same department.

The ticket I got was for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sine. I went to court and pleaded not guilty and requested a jury trial.
All I had was my word, and I won the case. One of the reasons I won was because all the jurors were from that same town and most of them had been in court fighting there own tickets. Given there reputation all the jurors had no problem finding me not guilty.
This may not work as well in a big city as the jury pool is much bigger.

I have been a truck driver for many years and have received many tickets and all the ones that I fought, I won, and with no lawyer.

Never be afraid to stand up for yourself, they can’t penalize you for exercising your writes.

I don't know how your laws are in texas but if they are the way you just described, I'M NOT MOVING THERE..

ONLY indictable offense's are brought before a jury.. SIMPLE traffic court ticket don't warrant the courts time..

In your first paragraph, I see many mistakes..

First the cop CAN and most likely WILL be able to state his case during your so called trial...

It's not just you telling your side and then the judge deciding what to do..

Both parties tell their side, submit evidence to the judge and then he makes his decision.. This is your jury.. THE JUDGE

Like I said before, courts will not do a jury trial when no jail time will be involved for a simple traffic ticket.. It would waste tax payers money and time to do this..

Like said before if it was some other case that involved wreckless driving that involved personal injury and your being sued, then yes a jury trial is the way to go..

But even if your state allows for this kind of trial the judge can either yes or no to that.. He has the ultimate say in his court and goes by the law..

Ohhh and about the kid getting a speeding ticket on his bike.. Whoever that cop was should be fired because a bike is not a motorized vehicle..

OHHH and one more thing with the jury being people that had tickets from the cops themselves, I HIGHLY doubt the DA would have let them sit on the jury if this was the case...

James

slightlybent47
08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
You need to have some concept as to how a jury trial works.
The judge will call your name and ask you how you want t plead. If you plead Not guilty he will then ask you if you would like a jury trial or have the judge here your case.
If you say you would like the judge to here the case he will then proceed and ask if the officer that issued the ticket is present. If not he or she will most likely dismiss the case in your favor.
If they are then they will proceed with the case rite then and there so be prepared.
If you request a jury trial then he or she will set a new date for you to come back and present your case.

When your trial begins they will again ask you how you want to plead. You still have the option at that point to change your plea or proceed with the trial.
If you do proceed with the jury trial they will ask you to plead your case. After you get done with all your evidence and you have made your case then the prosecuting attorney will have the chance to rebut your statements. But this is where it gets tricky, because you can’t rebut the prosecuting attorney’s statements. I know: this is stupid but that’s the way it is. Make sure you cover everything in detail and don’t leave the prosecuting attorney something to work with. (see 1 below)
Then the jury is asked to render verdict. If you are found not guilty then the case is dismissed and you are free to go.
But if found guilty then you are required to pay the fine and court cost, and nothing else.
Also if found guilty you can’t request a plea deal or take defensive driving to reduce or remove the verdict.

It can be intimidating to go through all this for a ticket but it’s your write as a US citizen.

I’ve done this many times and I always won.

1 - (My dad requested a jury trial for a ticket he got for riding up the right side of an intersection to make a right turn at a red light.
He pleaded his case and the prosecuting attorney then got up and made the statement that my dad went flying down the side of the road at a high rate of speed and endangered other motorist. But my dad was not allowed to respond to his actuations and was found guilty. This is what I meant about making sure you don’t leave the prosecuting attorney something to work with. My dad should have included the statement that he eased up the side and did not do it in a recluse manner.)

Chose your words well and cover every possible outcome.

And again yes you can and are entitled to a jury trial, it’s the law down here.

slightlybent47
08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
I don't know how your laws are in texas but if they are the way you just described, I'M NOT MOVING THERE..

ONLY indictable offense's are brought before a jury.. SIMPLE traffic court ticket don't warrant the courts time..

In your first paragraph, I see many mistakes..

First the cop CAN and most likely WILL be able to state his case during your so called trial...

It's not just you telling your side and then the judge deciding what to do..

Both parties tell their side, submit evidence to the judge and then he makes his decision.. This is your jury.. THE JUDGE

Like I said before, courts will not do a jury trial when no jail time will be involved for a simple traffic ticket.. It would waste tax payers money and time to do this..

Like said before if it was some other case that involved wreckless driving that involved personal injury and your being sued, then yes a jury trial is the way to go..

But even if your state allows for this kind of trial the judge can either yes or no to that.. He has the ultimate say in his court and goes by the law..

Ohhh and about the kid getting a speeding ticket on his bike.. Whoever that cop was should be fired because a bike is not a motorized vehicle..

OHHH and one more thing with the jury being people that had tickets from the cops themselves, I HIGHLY doubt the DA would have let them sit on the jury if this was the case...

James

Of course the cop is alowed to make a statement.
In a small town the jury pool is small and they have to have at least 6 jurors in your case. so the odds of getting someone that has recieved a unlawfull ticket is high.

JForestZ34
08-15-2011, 04:57 PM
You need to have some concept as to how a jury trial works.
The judge will call your name and ask you how you want t plead. If you plead Not guilty he will then ask you if you would like a jury trial or have the judge here your case.
If you say you would like the judge to here the case he will then proceed and ask if the officer that issued the ticket is present. If not he or she will most likely dismiss the case in your favor.
If they are then they will proceed with the case rite then and there so be prepared.
If you request a jury trial then he or she will set a new date for you to come back and present your case.

When your trial begins they will again ask you how you want to plead. You still have the option at that point to change your plea or proceed with the trial.
If you do proceed with the jury trial they will ask you to plead your case. After you get done with all your evidence and you have made your case then the prosecuting attorney will have the chance to rebut your statements. But this is where it gets tricky, because you can’t rebut the prosecuting attorney’s statements. I know: this is stupid but that’s the way it is. Make sure you cover everything in detail and don’t leave the prosecuting attorney something to work with. (see 1 below)
Then the jury is asked to render verdict. If you are found not guilty then the case is dismissed and you are free to go.
But if found guilty then you are required to pay the fine and court cost, and nothing else.
Also if found guilty you can’t request a plea deal or take defensive driving to reduce or remove the verdict.

It can be intimidating to go through all this for a ticket but it’s your write as a US citizen.

I’ve done this many times and I always won.

1 - (My dad requested a jury trial for a ticket he got for riding up the right side of an intersection to make a right turn at a red light.
He pleaded his case and the prosecuting attorney then got up and made the statement that my dad went flying down the side of the road at a high rate of speed and endangered other motorist. But my dad was not allowed to respond to his actuations and was found guilty. This is what I meant about making sure you don’t leave the prosecuting attorney something to work with. My dad should have included the statement that he eased up the side and did not do it in a recluse manner.)

Chose your words well and cover every possible outcome.

And again yes you can and are entitled to a jury trial, it’s the law down here.

I don know how the system works. I've had MANY tickets so far in my life and NOT 1 traffic ticket have I seen go to a jury trial in NJ.... NOT 1....

If you plea not guilty and wish to fight it I have not seen the judge EVER take it on right there.. If so everyone else behind you waiting for their turn would NEVER be seen.. If you plea not guilty the judge tells you another date to come back to court.. I have never seen in any kind of traffic court, criminal court, or any other kind of court that when you plea not guilty, it goes to trial that very day.. NEVER happen.. They have to make sure the cop has all his paperwork, has the time to be in court for the whole day and not have any other court dealings he needs to do.

Like I said you state might be very different but for a jury trial over a failure to use a turn signal, is a waste of time.. Because if I was on the jury I would be PISSED as all hell to have to sit there and listen to it..

James

slightlybent47
08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
I don know how the system works. I've had MANY tickets so far in my life and NOT 1 traffic ticket have I seen go to a jury trial in NJ.... NOT 1....

If you plea not guilty and wish to fight it I have not seen the judge EVER take it on right there.. If so everyone else behind you waiting for their turn would NEVER be seen.. If you plea not guilty the judge tells you another date to come back to court.. I have never seen in any kind of traffic court, criminal court, or any other kind of court that when you plea not guilty, it goes to trial that very day.. NEVER happen.. They have to make sure the cop has all his paperwork, has the time to be in court for the whole day and not have any other court dealings he needs to do.

Like I said you state might be very different but for a jury trial over a failure to use a turn signal, is a waste of time.. Because if I was on the jury I would be PISSED as all hell to have to sit there and listen to it..

James

So you’re saying that in your state you don’t have the rite to a jury trial?
How can that be? So in your state the judge and the officer have all control of weather or not you get a fair verdict? That sucks!!
I find that hard to believe.
The judge could simply side with the officer every time and no one could get a fair verdict. That’s not the way we do things down here.

There is a judge here in one of our local court system that will give a 2 hour speech before each court that lays out what you can and can’t do. In his statement he seas that under no circumstances you have no excuse for not showing up for court. Even if your in emergency surgery for a heart attack that’s no excuse and if you fail to show up a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

But the cops on the other hand can show up unprepared or not show up at all and suffer no consequences. This just shows how the judge will give leeway to a cop but not the citizens of his community.

As I sit waiting for my case I watch the cases in front of me and I can tell you in every case where the judge had the final say, the citizen is always found guilty. Even as I watch and here the testimony and wonder how the judge can come up with that verdict, they still do. Never let a judge hear your case without some outside input to a verdict.

slightlybent47
08-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh! And yes they will hear the case on the spot, they don’t care how long you have to sit in court and wait for your turn. They don’t care if you lose your job or a days pay because you were tied up in court.

CJM
08-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Oh in NJ bent it sucks!

Trust me your not getting a trial right then and there, they will tell you they will schedule one when its convenient for them. Ive been to court countless times, NO one gets a trial on the spot.

Plenty of crooked judges and ones who dont care too. The speech thing they do everytime and trust me they would issue you a warrant for anything unless you phone in or send a letter why.

Hell, I just recently went in for a failure to stop/yield. I know I was in the right so I decided Id talk to the Prosecutor. Usually they give you some leeway and drop or lessen the charge. She took one look at my abstract and told me flat out "no" b/c I had a "unsafe"driving violation. In NJ (and I had no idea they changed it) if you get one of these you can kiss any and all bargaining away for 3 years. Funny about the officer who wrote meup-got like 5 other ppl all in the line for the prosecutor-all for bs trumped up charges.

NJ is corrupt, maybe Texas isnt but here you basically live in a police state where they can do what they want, how they want and when they want. I need to move somewhere else..

Its horrible here-I go for an accident due to a ticket where my appearance is req'd. I got the shaft-but little old granny who hit a house ffs and totaled out a street pole b/c she dropped the pudding she was bring to a friend off the seat when she made a turn and tried to retrieve it-get this...gets off. The only way to win in NJ is to have a lawyer and damn good one too!

slightlybent47
08-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Here it depends on the court. In and around Houston there are many small independent police departments in areas that have been swallowed up by the big city. Small communitys and towns with there own police. So you never know witch court you may have to go to.
Some courts will here it on the spot and some will make you wait till they here all the other cases and then get back to your at the end of the day. So if you fight it you have to wait all day still others will set a new court date. It just depends on where and what court your in.

We have our share of crooked cops and judges here too, that’s why I always get a jury trial. It takes the judge out of the equation “somewhat” anyways.

JForestZ34
08-15-2011, 06:40 PM
So you’re saying that in your state you don’t have the rite to a jury trial?
How can that be? So in your state the judge and the officer have all control of weather or not you get a fair verdict? That sucks!!
I find that hard to believe.
The judge could simply side with the officer every time and no one could get a fair verdict. That’s not the way we do things down here.

There is a judge here in one of our local court system that will give a 2 hour speech before each court that lays out what you can and can’t do. In his statement he seas that under no circumstances you have no excuse for not showing up for court. Even if your in emergency surgery for a heart attack that’s no excuse and if you fail to show up a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

But the cops on the other hand can show up unprepared or not show up at all and suffer no consequences. This just shows how the judge will give leeway to a cop but not the citizens of his community.

As I sit waiting for my case I watch the cases in front of me and I can tell you in every case where the judge had the final say, the citizen is always found guilty. Even as I watch and here the testimony and wonder how the judge can come up with that verdict, they still do. Never let a judge hear your case without some outside input to a verdict.

We do have a right to a jury trial.. Just not on moving violations... In our state traffic court does not do jury trials.. You walk before the man.. The judge is the one that decides what he will do with you.. Everytime I have been before a judge or seen people in front of one, 100% of the time the judge asks how you plea. You plead not guilty, he sets a date for trial, NOT JURY TRIAL, but a trial.. That's when you come back and argue in front of him why your right and the cop is wrong...

I have NEVER EVER seen a judge ask for your plea and then just say fine we are doing this as a trial right here right now... NO ONE would ever get there chance to get their tickets taken care of... At least in NJ anyway..

If you plea not guilty they have to give you time to seek counsel and confer with him over the charges and discuss with him what will happen.. Motions need to be filed and some other paperwork.. That is why I HIGHLY doubt they do trial on the spot anywhere....

I'm not calling you a liar or anything of the sort but the judges needs to prepare for this too.. They would have to have your abstract pulled, your criminal history etc.. They have way to much paperwork and stuff to do and frankly don't have the time to do trial on the spot..

James

JForestZ34
08-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Oh! And yes they will hear the case on the spot, they don’t care how long you have to sit in court and wait for your turn. They don’t care if you lose your job or a days pay because you were tied up in court.

And courts do care if you lose your job or not.. If you lose your job you can't pay the fines or court costs..

James

slightlybent47
08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
In judge Yeoman’s court he plainly states in his 2 hour speech before each court room that he doesn’t care if you have to wait. I’ve had the pleasure of sitting through several of his speeches. He also said there is no excuse for not appearing ”period”. No excuse what so ever. Trust me he makes that speech every time he holds court. He goes on and on about how fair he is but he’s just a hypocrite because he rules for the cop every time.

The one time I let a judge rule in my case was on the first appearance I had in court and pleaded not guilty to a charge. He asked me how I pled and I pled not guilty and he asked if I was ready to do it rite then and not wanting to come back I agreed. I lost big time.
The judge herd the cops story and he asked me one question and made his ruling.

I always vote against him every time his name apears on a ballet! lol