PDA

View Full Version : oil level

bigbillg
08-05-2011, 04:42 AM
i change my oil almost every time i'm done riding and the little window on the case has a low and high mark right well every time i put oil in when i'm done the level is past the window so now i'm starting to use less oil every time like i just put a new crank in yesterday when i put my motor in i only put about 3/4 of a quart in that side and it still looks like too much

DnB_racing
08-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by bigbillg
i change my oil almost every time i'm done riding and the little window on the case has a low and high mark right well every time i put oil in when i'm done the level is past the window so now i'm starting to use less oil every time like i just put a new crank in yesterday when i put my motor in i only put about 3/4 of a quart in that side and it still looks like too much make sure that the clutch side isn't seeping oil into the crank side....and make sure the crank breather is clear,and free of kinks or debris

bigbillg
08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
this is when i fill it not after i run it and also i just put new crank bearings and seals

DnB_racing
08-05-2011, 08:32 AM
this is when i fill it not after i run it and also i just put new crank bearings and seals have you started it yet?

like i mentioned previously, make sure the vent is clear.it might be holding a small air pocket, and acting like holding your finger over a filled straw..

but turn it over by hand first then just start for a second and see if it drops

also make sure to pull the valve cover after you run it to make sure the oil is getting to the top

did you replace the oil strainer? and rebuild the pump?

bigbillg
08-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
have you started it yet?

like i mentioned previously, make sure the vent is clear.it might be holding a small air pocket, and acting like holding your finger over a filled straw..

but turn it over by hand first then just start for a second and see if it drops

also make sure to pull the valve cover after you run it to make sure the oil is getting to the top

did you replace the oil strainer? and rebuild the pump? this has been like this since i got it when i change the oil if the whole motor is empty as i dump oil in the crank side only nothing in trasmission when i get about a half of quart of oil in the window is already full and like that every time i figured maybe some oil left in it or something but it did it even after i had the whole motor apart and cleaned am i putting too much oil in?

DnB_racing
08-06-2011, 02:11 AM
this has been like this since i got it when i change the oil if the whole motor is empty as i dump oil in the crank side only nothing in trasmission when i get about a half of quart of oil in the window is already full and like that every time i figured maybe some oil left in it or something but it did it even after i had the whole motor apart and cleaned am i putting too much oil in? no your not putting to much in, it takes about 3/4 after a filter and empty

did you make sure the oil reed valve was good?and that all vent lines are clear?

like i said it could be acting like a plugged straw with water in it if you put your finger on top the water wont flow, that type of vacuum plug?

other then that just make sure your getting oil to the top of the valve train, and getting oil through the filter and the piston oil jet, and if so run it,and see if it drops at all

when I do a oil filter change, it takes about 1/2 a quart to fill then I turn it over and it drops as the pump sends the oil to the passages and top end, and filter, then I fill again and start and check again, it takes ususally just a little over 3/4 a quart when all done

if your doesnt drop after a quick start, you could have a bad pump or clogged strainer, if your crank bearings went you really should have rerplaced and rebuilt the pump and strainer, as all the debree from the bearings can damage them

bigbillg
08-06-2011, 04:14 AM
i cleaned everything including the stainer but i didn't clean the vent tube out my oil pump is working everything is working fine i got to take it out lastnight and did about 25 hard laps on an mx track and my quad was running great i just was asking because i'm doing 3 races this weekend and it also has bonus points we do mx this morning flat track tonight and a 2 hour scramble tomorrow morning i don't know if this old body can handle all that lol

DnB_racing
08-06-2011, 07:23 AM
carbon oil does expand when hot,synthetic does but less then regular oil...as long as your sure that you fill properly, in other words.....

fill to the full line and the turn over, and fill again if needed, and start for a second and fill again if needed,

when hot it will be a little higher then full, but when cold it should be back to the full mark.

but as long as you are absolutely sure the oil is getting to, and draining down from the top of the valves, then you should be fine,
pull the valve cover and there will be small amount ,still there if working properly

bigbillg
08-15-2011, 08:39 PM
got it now thanksjust was using a little to much oil