PDA

View Full Version : Just bought LTR.. Need some advice! This thing is slow..

SHIFTx450
08-04-2011, 08:34 PM
..compared to my Honda's I just sold.

I think the gearing is off.. Has Holeshot GNCC's and I don't believe the gearing was changed when they were added. That could really be hurting power.

But the thing just feels slow.. Is there hidden power in these things? It's got wicked throttle response, runs excellent, just feels like a dog.

It has full Motoworks Carbon exhaust, airbox lid off, and a cherry bomb. What kinda stuff can I do to wake this thing up? We free ride up here in PA. Pit ride, trails, and play on MX. Is there timing mods with the DOHC? I'm not really looking to go nuts with cams, piston, and porting just yet. Wife needs to get used to it first. But when I ride it, it at least needs to be like my Honda's power output..

I look forward to you guys's input!

bigbad400
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
should have some hefty top speed thow.....:D lol i would drop a tooth on the front sproket and or get back to 18" tires.... its a factory mx quad with trail tires and stock gearing. with a pipe and chip open airbox already all you can do is motor mods or gearing. how built was the honda? are you comparing oranges to apples? lol how was ur honda setup? mx? trails?

SHIFTx450
08-04-2011, 10:07 PM
You would think that, but something don't feel right. Doesn't wanna rev out it feels like at top speed. But again I'm a Honda guy, maybe it's just different..

My 06er was stock w/ stg. 2 hotcam, built carb, minor ignition mod. Thing ripped.

My hybrid was a Hammer Racing built 06 crf450r motor. Thing was sick, could barely keep front end down when rippin.

Not going back to 18's, need the 6 ply tires and ground clearance up here in PA. All my bikes are always setup wide w/ XC tires and Sparks Exhaust everytime..

We freeride. Pit ride. Hill climbs. jump. Practice MX. Run Harescrambles. Dragrace. Little bit of everything. There's a real happy medium with a wide mx stance and XC tires..

bigbad400
08-04-2011, 10:20 PM
it may be running rich or lean with a chip and may need a programmer, also i run xc tires too, northern michigan is rough country need the clearance, i had to regear it to make it feel right, but sounds like it might be running off a little. i have a feeling its leaning out and falling on its face. alot of people say the cherry bomb wasnt enough remap for the better pipes and they run lean...

SHIFTx450
08-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Hm. I'm gonna talk to my motor guy, he's knows these things inside and out. Makes sense though, I noticed the cherry bomb is the cheaper route.. But there's so many different ignitions. I know I've never been wrong with a Dyna, worth looking into anyway.

Wondering if it'd even run better without the cherry bomb?

SHIFTx450
08-04-2011, 11:35 PM
What is stock gearing on an 06 LTR anyway?

09RappySe
08-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Stock gearing is 14/36

bigbad400
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
if its leaning out put your airbox lid on and it should help richen it up, if its to rich (highly unlikely) it should be sputtering and backfire maybe some black smoke if its real rich. i think the power comanders are a good fuel controller but to each there own. know alot of people with them althow i dont have one they all seem to work perfect for everyone i know, from kfx yfz and ltrs i havent seen any issues. let us know what you figure out im very curious.

SHIFTx450
08-05-2011, 10:50 AM
P.s. You gonna call me about trading that sparks or what?

bigbad400
08-05-2011, 02:03 PM
no thanks guy, no offence to you but i have bean ripped off on this website and im happy enough with my pipe. good luck to you thow. these sparks pipes are the sh*t. if you were in michigan id drive to you and trade man to man. i want the pipe but im just not comfortable with it. thanks anyhow.

SHIFTx450
08-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Well, I'll have to admit I am kinda offended.. That's the second time you referenced me ripping you off. I'm deeply sorry you've been beat on this site before, but you can't go around thinking someone is out to beat you all the time. You'd make people not want to deal with you at all.

On another note, them Sparks exhaust systems are the sh*t. I've always had a sparks pipe on every machine I've owned starting with the 400ex when it first became available. I just bought this LTR, it has a Motoworks Carbon full system on it, and it just don't feel right riding with it. I need my Sparks pipe for this thing to become part of the family. Thought I could strike a deal with someone on a trade rather than selling this and having to buy another. That will create a lengthy period of time where I will have no exhaust and won't be able to ride, hence the shorter route via a trade.

SHIFTx450
08-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Finally got to digging into her yesterday. Wanted to pull the body off and get a little more familiar with it, give it a good cleaning too. Looks like they haven't been on for awhile. I hate that, people think a quad is clean - totally different story once you pull the fenders off..

Anyway first thing I noticed was a wire rubbed raw hanging on by a thread, I soldered it and tightened it back up. Next the damn intake was not hooked up to the throttle body!! Looks like it's been off awhile too, there's all slimy grit in the intake tube, and the throttle body and butterfly is coated in thick black residue. Doesn't look like I wanna take the whole thing off to clean it properly, but not sure. I need to get a friggin book for this thing.

Any input fellas? What kinda filters do I need to change out or clean with this setup? I've read of getting rid of that swirl filter for a simple in line filter with larger I.D. fuel line. Just not sure if it's the right thing to do.

I'm gonna try and attach pics, but I think they're gonna be too big.

SHIFTx450
08-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Throttle Body

SHIFTx450
08-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Intake

SHIFTx450
08-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Anyone wanna trade me exhaust? I need a sparks for this LTR to become part of the family.. Absolutely nothing wrong with this Motoworks Carbon, it's just not a Sparks. I'd prefer a big core.

I didn't clean it yet. Pic is how it came directly off of bike.

hrc450er
08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Shipping from pa to mi would take like 3 days so ship yours and once he gets it he'll ship the sparks only bdown 1 weekend tops