PDA

View Full Version : NEW wiring harness interest

fourtrax_r
08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
i have finally located everything i need to duplicate an oem harness. just wondering if anyone has any interest before i order the stuff to do them. not 100% on price but that depends on how many people want them

250Renvy
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
I'd probably be in - at a reasonable price.

wilkin250r
08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Complete with stock wiring colors including all stripes?

I'm interested in a wiring harness IF I can also get all the information along with it, like connector manufacturers and part numbers.

JM317
08-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Will you be able to make a race style style harness with all the extra stuff deleted too? If not, would you be interested in selling enough connectors so I can make my own?

stever250r
08-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by JM317
Will you be able to make a race style style harness with all the extra stuff deleted too? If not, would you be interested in selling enough connectors so I can make my own?

X2... I would also be interested in a race style harness....No need for all of the extras on the MX build..

DnB_racing
08-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Ive been gathering the info also... the problem im having is my rep is trying to get me to commit to an order before I can get all the part numbers,

if you have the numbers make sure the pins are the same as oem... i ran into a small issues with pins being slighty different at first

DnB_racing
08-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Will you be able to make a race style style harness with all the extra stuff deleted too? If not, would you be interested in selling enough connectors so I can make my own? to make you own you need the proper pins and the right crimper also...

JM317
08-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
to make you own you need the proper pins and the right crimper also...

I figured he had the pins as well. I've got a few crimpers, what type do you need?

DnB_racing
08-05-2011, 08:00 AM
I figured you had the pins as well. I've got a few crimpers, what type do you need? I dont have the info yet... my rep is holding out on me trying to make a sale....

fourtrax_r has the parts... im sure if he has them all he has the pins also but I just want you to be aware its a littler more then just getting the parts

hopefully hes here soon to answer these questions

JM317
08-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Yeah I meant fourtrax probably had the parts. The pins shouldn't be that difficult if you replace both ends. I know who supplies Honda with most of their wiring components but I never got too serious about checking into small parts.

deathman53
08-05-2011, 10:26 AM
if anything, you would be far better off if you talked to ESR or a retailer of 250r parts about taking interest in this venture also. The likelyhood of getting enough on this site or the other R site, to commit to it and not back down at the last minute will be tough.
I took it on my own to get replica shrouds for short track atc250r tanks, I called and emailed them, I posted a poll on 3ww about it. I sent them new shrouds to copy(very rare also). When they were ready, nobody wanted them at first, they wanted to see how they looked, then the nit-picking started, colors didn't match correct, mold wasn't exactly as the honda shrouds were, didn't fit as good, you name it, they said it. End result, they spent many thousands of dollars to make shrouds that most of the people who said they will buy them didn't. Now, once it runs out, the company probably will never make another run. Then later on down the road, when people run out of cracked, repaired, faded, etc ones and need new ones and aren't really picky, they won't be available. Lots of people tried to revive interest in 3 wheeler parts, companies got their old molds out, produced some and people were too cheap to buy them. They were able to do better buying a used one, that likely had damage and needed repair. The same thing will likely happen to the replica wiring harness, sadly.

sand_blaster
08-05-2011, 02:17 PM
I'll take one if price is decent.

fourtrax_r
08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
yes there are a few different style pins and i have them. i also have a crimper they sent with them when i bought them(free, i couldn't believe it.). the minimum order on alot of the parts is around 500. i haven't done alot of homework on what the end price will be. i am going to make a few for myself no matter what, but thought i'd see if there was interest out there. not looking to really make any money at it but the more i can make the cheaper they are in the end. i finally located all the plastic housings. the only thing they will probably be missing is the black rubber cover for over the stator connections, unless someone on here has any suggestions. i am going to put in the order monday for the final things i think i still need. i am going to pull apart an old harness i have this weekend to get an idea of how much of what color wire i need. anyone has any suggestions on any thing feel free to voice them

wilkin250r
08-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I've had this same idea in the back of my head for years, just never got around to getting it done. But I'll share my thoughts, because my goal was never to get rich, but just to keep the parts available and keep these machines alive.

Wire in various colors is easy, but STRIPES are not. To get the actual OEM color combinations like black wire with a red stripe for the exciter coil, you're likely looking at several hundred foot minimum order for each color, unless you have connections that I don't.

I was thinking several different varieties. Since the OEM style is obviously going to be the most common, a race version would be simple, just leave out all the extra garbage. The OTHER version I was thinking would be really popular is to get a connector for a really common regulator/rectifier, like a 400EX reg/reg, and sell a DC conversion kit for the guys that want HID lighting.

fourtrax_r
08-06-2011, 02:25 PM
i'll look into the connectors to add a cheap,common voltage reg. i have a few suppliers of tracer wire (thats what they are calling it) but i didn't ask what the min amount is, maybe i better do that. i don't want 10,000 feet of one color

wilkin250r
09-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I want to revisit this topic, because I'm still interested in creating a new OEM replacement harness with the proper connectors.

DnB, any luck on finding a connector for the 400EX reg/rect? A DC conversion and HID lighting is my next project. Once I get something real nice made up, I can make it available to everybody.

DnB_racing
09-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

DnB, any luck on finding a connector for the 400EX reg/rect? to be honest once my sales rep tried to get me to commit to a $380 order, i havent thought about it,

ill be pretty busy the next few weeks,but I will make sure to put it on my to do list:)