PDA

View Full Version : agian,another spark problem! please help

farmer250r
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
i have a 87 trx250r.i havent riddn it in months due to it having problems.i thought it was the coil,but just for sh#ts and giggles i put the old one back on and i got spark like once every 5 or 6 kicks.but i noticed when i have the spark plug out and pluged in and i kick the crap out of it,like kick it over realy fast i get spark every kick.this is bothering me,and im not that great with wiring anyways,i no my way around but if someone could help me with my problem it would awsome.summers almost over and i wanna rip around and show the 4-pokes whatts up at the local pit.

dhsmustang
08-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Is it properly grounded?

Also, try a new spark plug

RyanWsly
08-04-2011, 09:01 PM
If it's a stock CDI it has a RPM requirement to spark, it's analog. I can't remember how fast off the top of my head, but that is why it's sparking when you kick it fast.

farmer250r
08-04-2011, 10:06 PM
its a new spark plug,and yes its a stock cdi,complete stock wiring harness except no headlight and a teather kill switch.but im having trouble finding the ground.where exscaly is it??
for alittle more info that might help,when it was runing,it would scream on the top end,but if i kept it in low to mid rpm range it would bog,also when i would try to start it,it didnt seem to be getting spark but then it would start and bog down and die,i had to either push start it or pull start it with another quad.

dhsmustang
08-05-2011, 04:28 AM
An easy way to check your ground is with a battery charger and a test light. Hook the positive lead from the battery charger to the frame and the negative lead to the ground for the test light. Then check for power at the ground for the coil (I believe it is the left side) If you test light illuminates, the harness is grounded.