PDA

View Full Version : 2007 450er won't start when hot?

Foxhound013
08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
The valves are good we checked them and once we broke in the cam checked them again. The bike will start when its cold and it'll idle for a little while but in a few minutes it just dies. Then it wont start back up, if we let it sit for a minute or two it starts right back up. It gets spark and runs good, but for some reason it just wont start when its hot. Any ideas?

DnB_racing
08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
sounds like possibly a bent or sticking valve

are you 100% sure of the timing?

Foxhound013
08-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm sure the timing is good, the reason the bike got torn apart because my buddy ran it out of oil, he says he was sure it had oil but it wasn't there. He was lucky and only fried the cam. I didn't think about the bent or sticking valve, i guess once everything heated up and expands it could be what causing the problem. Wouldn't it have trouble when you ride it too though? I don't think its got a problem when you actually ride it, I'm asking for a buddy of mine so i'm not 100% sure of everything but I do know most of it for sure.

airmobile101
08-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Few things to check..........

Take off the gas cap and let it run. You might have a bad vent valve.

If your pilot jet is too big OR your throttle cable is incorrectly adjusted, IT WILL DIE ON YOU with a incorrect adjusted pilot circuit.

Just a few things to check.

DnB_racing
08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
when you tore it apart did you pull the piston out and check the the crank and small end of rod.. and rings to be sure they are not siezed?

what is the starting compression at?

im surprised the cam burnt, that would take the least amount of the heat from no oil

if you ran it out of oil,
I really think there is more damage that you havent found

Foxhound013
08-04-2011, 08:46 PM
There was enough oil down in the bottom to keep everything down there lubed up but it didn't have enough to get sucked to the top leaving the cam without oil. Rings did get replaced. It starts great when its cold so I don't see how something could be seized, I could be wrong though lol. I'm not sure of starting compression.

What is the stock pilot jet?

When it runs it runs really well. I'm not to sure if it will stay running when it gets rode around but I'm pretty sure it will. Its only when its idling.
The carbs been cleaned really well twice now.
It starts right up when its cold but once it warms up it just stops and wont start back up.
We wait a minute or so and it starts up again.