PDA

View Full Version : OEM cranks discontinued

D Bergstrom
08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Ordered a OEM crank (13300-HB9-770) from Service Honda the other day and was notified this morning that they are no longer available, Honda has no more and they have been discontinued. So unless a dealer/parts supplier somewhere has them on the shelf, looks like the only options are rebuild, Hot Rods, or Wiseco. Might try and call around and see if I can still find an OEM one on the shelf somewhere. Don't need one, but wanted to get a new one to install with my future build.

Just figured I would pass along the info since I have not seen anyone mention this. I know the short rod cranks have been discontinued for a long time, looks like the long rod cranks have know joined them.

Doug

dcbur2
08-04-2011, 11:59 AM
No one on my deal locator using lightspeed has one

Burns310r
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
That sucks.

I have 3 toast cranks that im saving to have rebuild by someone reputable.

Damn you HONDA!!!!

Burns310r
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
TBH its pretty amazing that you could still buy cranks for it from honda up till this point.

atvmxr
08-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I dont get it. Suzuki is still cranking out ALL the parts for the LT250R, and quadzillas. about the only thing you cant get is a zilla frame.

and yet honda starts shutting down parts production - what 5-7 years ago? :rolleyes:

Burns310r
08-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Suzuiki also made those quads several more years than the R.

etccb
08-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Suzuki may not be making much for them that doesn't fit something else. It may just be stock that they still have.

D Bergstrom
08-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I did have a feeling that I would not be able to get one when I ordered it. Service Honda is usually pretty good about updating their site and showing parts as discontinued. The crank still showed a price, so I am guessing Honda must have just run out of cranks recently.

I think it would be interesting to see just how many 250R parts Honda does sell nowadays. I bet it is not as many as we all think. I know this is the first time I have ordered OEM 250R parts in about four years. I am guessing Suzuki still has parts left over for their LT's, just haven't sold out of them yet. You have to figure that for how many years the 250R was still heavily raced? Racers go through parts like crazy. I bet there has been WAY more 250R parts sold over the years then any LT250 or LT500 parts combined.

I currently have a OEM crank in my motor that I bought brand new in 2006, doesn't have alot of time on it. I just wanted a new one while they were still available. My plan now is to just find a good place to rebuild it. Want to start with a fresh rebuild.

Doug

mxduner
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
This is no good man. i need 1 and had the money for 1 but didn't have time for my rebuild. Thats what i get for putting off yet another project.

250Renvy
08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Figures, I knew that would happen, I wanted one for a while, but just couldn't pull the trigger on $350 for a new crank to sit on the shelf. Now that they are gone, someone who has a stash will end up selling them for $600+ each.

I guess that's what I get for waiting. At least with ESR and possibly BDT selling crankcases, we can take a chance on Hot rods and if it grenades and damages cases, they can at a least be replaced.

250rPRIDE
08-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Figures, I knew that would happen, I wanted one for a while, but just couldn't pull the trigger on $350 for a new crank to sit on the shelf. Now that they are gone, someone who has a stash will end up selling them for $600+ each.

I guess that's what I get for waiting. At least with ESR and possibly BDT selling crankcases, we can take a chance on Hot rods and if it grenades and damages cases, they can at a least be replaced.

i got 2 new ones 10 months ago and my dealer told me that they were some of the last one available, and 350 wouldnt have touch them i think retail was like 480? and they gave them to me for like 425 plus tax since i got 2, they also found my a wiring harness that was new for a 88 and they guaranteed me it was the last one period, it took them 2 days to locate it at a dealer 5 states away... what honda is doing is not cool, but with no 250r's left it will boost the 450 sales i guess????

Honda 250r 001
08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
It truely is sad, but screw honda, we dont need them. ESR can now get all the parts brand new needed to build a complete new aftermarket motor. Honda can piss off.

dtek01
08-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Wow..Just bought one last month for my engine rebuild from Service Honda.

Had no problem getting it either. It did come from "another" wherehouse they said and delayed shipment for 2 days but shipped no prob.

Maybe I got the last one :(

D Bergstrom
08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
ESR can now get all the parts brand new needed to build a complete new aftermarket motor.

What about transmission parts? That is something I still haven't seen from anyone.

Originally posted by dtek01
Maybe I got the last one :(

Damn you!!! haha I was actually going to order one about two months ago but kept putting it off, now I wish I didn't.

Doug

etccb
08-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
What about transmission parts? That is something I still haven't seen from anyone.

ESR won't let it happen. Just give them the time and they will do whatever it takes to make sure that these can keep on trucking.

dtek01
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom

Damn you!!! haha I was actually going to order one about two months ago but kept putting it off, now I wish I didn't.
[/B]

LOL...well one this is for sure. ESR will be selling alot of center cases now.

Honda needs to man up on the 250r. When its out of stock make another batch..whats the big deal?? The tooling is paid.

I am not too keen on having to get a 4-stroke in the future due to parts issues. If I did have to it definitely would not be the Honda as it is today.

coreyflipp
08-05-2011, 01:40 PM
So what's wrong with a wiseco or hotrods crank?

250rPRIDE
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by coreyflipp

i would trust a wiseco crank for nothing research it, hotrods are so so, but nothing comes close to a oem honda crank...

mxduner
08-12-2011, 06:29 PM
any changes? i have not called my dealer, but it sounds like i might be wasting my time.

400exrip
08-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Let me ask yall this why did they stop selling 2 strokes in the first place. If you walk into your local honda shop and look at the showroom it aint no 2 strokes in their, all 4 strokes.

Like 450r's, 250ex, 300ex, 400ex and so on

I know KTM may still market some 2 stroke dirtbikes still, but nobody else does.

Fear250r
08-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by coreyflipp

My wiseco...

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Fear250r/IMG_1389.jpg

mxduner
08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Fear250r
My wiseco...

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh300/Fear250r/IMG_1389.jpg x2

coreyflipp
08-15-2011, 06:45 AM
Damn, you would think since wiseco is a reputable brand they would make a part that actually works. I wonder if they even know about this issue.

trxredrider
08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by 400exrip
Let me ask yall this why did they stop selling 2 strokes in the first place. If you walk into your local honda shop and look at the showroom it aint no 2 strokes in their, all 4 strokes.

Like 450r's, 250ex, 300ex, 400ex and so on

I know KTM may still market some 2 stroke dirtbikes still, but nobody else does.

Just a couple of guesses:
1) Our wonderful EPA!
2) Easy to sell many expensive rebuild parts in the name of "being green..."

Yeah, and those two stroke KTMs are some of the best pure off-road bikes you can buy.

deathman53
08-16-2011, 08:13 AM
no, the epa didn't have much to do w/ it. It was the corporations and US. Honda had a statement in 96 or 97 that they wanted to eliminate 2 strokes for cleaner burning 4 strokes and were researching how they could make it not weight to ton and perform good. Well, Yamaha beat them to this. Second, the new 4 strokes were pushed by dealers and factories only wanted to race them. WE bought into them, not knowing how much they will cost us in the end. By the time that WE realized this, demand for the 2 strokes dropped so much that few were made. In ~05 another nail was put in, 250r or 250r based machines were banned in most pro classes(more bs from corporations and ama). Yes, you could race the banshee and blaster if you wanted to as they were currently produced machines, but who does? I think stock framed 250r were allowed, but who raced them? Later on, the 250r motor was banned in most pro classes, further driving the nails. It didn't help that honda wasn't making more of heavily used 250r parts, cases, brakes and tranny for the most part. Fast forward 6 years and now the cranks are gone and remaining stock of tranny, cases, shifting parts, brakes are mostly gone, never to be made again. WE can blame ourselves for this partly, the other part is all politics and corporations.

Ktm, GasGas, husaberg and husky sell tons of 2 strokes, because they kept making them and improving them. You can walk into any one of those dealers and find ~1/2 the bikes being 2 strokes. They sell them also, yamaha still makes the yz250 and yz125, how many know this???? Kawi makes the kx250 and maybe 125, they even make the kx500 until 05 or 06. Suzuki makes the rm250 and maybe 125. The dealers don't get them, because nobody asks for them, they think what is in the floor is all that is made.

The european market is vastly different, you can get yz, kx, cr and rm 2 strokes w/ enduro trim and lighting coils. 2 strokes are still big over there, anybody go into a dealer and try to get one of those models imported here? If we did show demand for them, maybe they would market them for the USA.

250R
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Honda has been discontinuing parts for years related to 250Rs. Thta is why I sold an 88 model I had since 1989 2 years ago. Rode it every weekend, stuff wears out, and as picky as I am I would order replacement parts from Honda. It started with the little yellow helmet decal for the hood (blew it off with a pressure washer) and looks like it has now progressed to cranks.

Just about gotten to the point you can not maintain them anymore through Honda.

destey
08-17-2011, 06:01 AM
EPA.

There was no law or rules that came out forcing them to conform. The mfgs saw it on the horizon that they would be forced and they knew they were going to 4 stroke eventually anyways, so they decided to be preemptive.