PDA

View Full Version : Tusk, Rock & Alba Nerf Bars

chronicsmoke
08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I've heard alot of people recommend these; Here is my review after a year of ownership;

All three of these companies have the same exact unit with different named etched on..

I picked up mine for my 450r about a year ago for 160$ from Alba on clearence.

They mounted fine, the pegs are solid, but the nerfs have WAYY to much play in them for my liking. They wiggle a little bit up and down, and even that little bit is more than I like, but they were 160$.

I have had issues with them bottoming out, even though the frame doesnt hit, there is enough flex in the nerfs, that if you land with your feet on the outside of the pegs, the nerfs scrape the ground. (HARD)

It happened on a pretty big double when I was riding the other day and this happened: (see pic) Must have caught something, but it bent them pretty good..

looks like im in the market for a new set of Pro Armour or Raths :ermm: doubt i'll pick those up new for 160$ though..

from the pics:

#1 where they mount to the engine mounts (i really dont like this design) you can see where they pulled right out when they bent

#2 the green line is where they should be, not only did the actual peg inserts bend, but the peg bent even more beyond where the peg insert goes.

#3 The tab on the heel guard chipped my PC off of my subframe where it was hitting.

chronicsmoke
08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
should probably mention that my application is for MX

With the extra ride height of XC tires/suspension, you would probably never have to worry about bottoming your nerfs..

Conclusion:

Good for the average trail rider/xc racer

I wouldnt run them again for MX

I'm going to see if they will fit the 400ex, and put them on there

CJM
08-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Got a set of the tusk ones on the EX, they mount slightly differently.

They mount with the same peg and similar back brace-but the front doesnt have the tube-instead it mounts with a welded on tab to the engine mounts. Mine dont flex at all really, but Im not riding MX with 18's-I got 20's.

I think your right, for everything but mx they should hold up on. Sad they didnt hold up-wonder if they would make good on them>?

Kovatch
08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I have never seen these on a bike before, but with the front engine mount area issue, instead of using what looks to be a clamping mechanism, I would drill a hole through nerf bar and the mount. Put a bolt through it & that would help prevent it from pulling out. I've done this on a few sets of nerfs that have a tube to slide over.

Thanks for the review.

chronicsmoke
08-05-2011, 09:12 AM
@ CJM

Im hoping I can make them fit on the 400 without too much McGivering.. They look pretty close.. probably just make a new tab for the insert (front mount) and weld it together.

I'll probably try and bend them back to finish off the year, but if it happens again Ill be forced to buy some sooner.. (I'm trying to hold off replacing my G-Force axle I bent too, lasted me >6months lol, but it's not bad and I dont want to deal with RMATV and waiting for them to warrenty it.)

@ Kovatech

Damn.. should have thought about that in the first place.. I bet you they wouldnt have bent so bad if the front would have stayed mounted tight.. Live and learn, but thanks for the tip. :cool:

Scro
08-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Welding a piece of rebar or threaded rod into the hollow pegs will prevent them from bending back. I had to do this on all my propegs.

chronicsmoke
08-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Found this when I was taking them apart.. yikes :eek:

It's cracked 270 degrees around.. I am really surprised it didnt break

HondaRacing83
08-28-2011, 02:48 PM
i think tusk/rock/alba products are a complete joke. i thought about getting rock beadlocks, im like well there wheels, look like douglas ones, couldnt be that bad. then i thought about it, wait a minute, am i really gonna buy rock beadlocks and have them bend or collapse as soon as i sky out a double or land flat smack a rut in the woods? nahh. douglas is the way to go. deal on craigslist for 2 rear 9inch beadlocks for 50bucks. then one time i thought about buying tusk or turner bars, im like waitttt a minute. as hard as i am on my quad do i really want these? they dont even have a low bend? hell no, protaper se's cr high bend. could i have spent less money with this stuff? yes, but technically no, its gonna break and your gonna have to replace it. they are expansive screw ups. i will never have ANY rock/alba/tusk on my quad. shame they put albas name on there stuff, alba used to be an amazing company. till they kinda went under i think