PDA

View Full Version : Move to Hybrid???

TJ Bradley
08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok. So im finding myself not racing as much anymore and ive got some crazy ideas floating around in my head.

Im Throwing around the idea of selling my 08 trx and buying or building a hybrid. My trx is fully built JB/Fox set up and all that. Pretty sure i wanna stay 4 stroke if i do go with a hybrid. But With todays technology is there any benefits anymore with giving up my Trx to go to a 250R goemetry/ Crf hybrid or something like that.?

PRO's??? CON's???

What are your thoughts fellas.

DnB_racing
08-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by TJ Bradley
Ok. So im finding myself not racing as much anymore and ive got some crazy ideas floating around in my head.

Im Throwing around the idea of selling my 08 trx and buying or building a hybrid. My trx is fully built JB/Fox set up and all that. Pretty sure i wanna stay 4 stroke if i do go with a hybrid. But With todays technology is there any benefits anymore with giving up my Trx to go to a 250R goemetry/ Crf hybrid or something like that.?

PRO's??? CON's???

What are your thoughts fellas. if you talk to the people that build the Walsh hybrids, they swear by the geometry,

I didnt feel the real fit and finish of a factory quad, everyone Ive seen has always needed something, to be a tight feeling quad,

maybe the ones I tried just wasn't done right, but they just seamed a little off in one way or another,

if there was a factory hybrid it would be amazing, but the engineering on the custom home builds, just feel short of being perfect im my opinion...

and on my quads if I have a missing plastic retainer i get sick to my stomach, the hybrids Ive seam just dont have the perfect every nut bolt and part in its place like the way I like it to be

if i was to build one it would cost way too much as I wouldnt feel comfortable untli it was perfect in every way

TJ Bradley
08-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Thats what i dont want is a fast POS. lol. Every one ive seen at the track is always broke and needing tools and parts. But i figured they just didnt take care of their bikes like i do mine.
i kinda messed up and priced my 08 Trx to this guy and he called me yesterday and said hes coming to get it. At first i was like ok its time for a change ill just go to something new for a while, thinking of building a big bore 2 stroke hybrid at first, then wanted to go Crf. All kinda wild ideas runnin around in my head. lol.
But Now im having second thoughts on letting the bike i built just for me brand new from the frame up go to someone else. Its exactly how i want it, and i know its been taken care of. But i dont wanna back out on this guy. Im tore now what to do. I can Always build another bike. New project time maybe.

Kovatch
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Why not build a TRX/CRF hybrid with the LTR front end? That would as hybrid as you can get, no? Best motor & best steering/handling with LTR spindle set-up.

Unless that is what you are referring to as the Walsh hybrid??

TJ Bradley
08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Thats what the plan was. But why dont i just swap a Ltr conversion on on my 08 Trx?

As all situations in the past have turned out... Im justgonna stick with the good ol honda. :macho

Kovatch
08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
You should swap out the front end, just put the CRF 450 motor in there. It would be a few ponies over the TRX motor, but have the right geometry up front.

TJ Bradley
08-04-2011, 02:13 PM
The 06+ trx motors are pretty much a Crf motor. All thats different is the head, flywheel, ignition and the Trx has a quad specific trans that will actually hold up. And on my 08 a already have a 06 Crf head, and ignition. So i think im making the same amount of power as a high comp crf motor, but with a heavier trx flywheel for more torque and a stronger tranny. Those crf's werent meant to pull around a 400+ pound quad.

But the LTR front end.... Is def gonna happen. lol.

mx Eli
08-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I'v been considering the same thing as you. the only problem I have with getting a hybrid is the limited classes you can run.

there's lots of hybrids out there that might cost less then 5000 but a very small amount of them are nice and not a so called "POS". once you get past 5000 you can buy some NICE hybrids, I'm talking crazy nice

Take a look at walsh's new fi crf hybrid with ltr geometry

mx Eli
08-04-2011, 06:50 PM
and yet what you think about the tranny is the oppistie of the facts.

Ask anyone that KNOWs hybrid's like jrspawn or josborn on here and they'll tell you hybrids have very few tranny problems compared to factory quads

ALAMX37
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
So where did you get your trans info? A dirt bike trans was built to be abused. A quad trans was built to pittle in the backyard on. I mean just think about the application they were built for.

quadcrazy02
08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
if you talk to the people that build the Walsh hybrids, they swear by the geometry,

I didnt feel the real fit and finish of a factory quad, everyone Ive seen has always needed something, to be a tight feeling quad,

maybe the ones I tried just wasn't done right, but they just seamed a little off in one way or another,

if there was a factory hybrid it would be amazing, but the engineering on the custom home builds, just feel short of being perfect im my opinion...

and on my quads if I have a missing plastic retainer i get sick to my stomach, the hybrids Ive seam just dont have the perfect every nut bolt and part in its place like the way I like it to be

I have a Walsh crf450 and a trx450, Walsh will out handle the trx anyday. I wud take a Walsh hybrid over any production bike anyday!!!
if i was to build one it would cost way too much as I wouldnt feel comfortable untli it was perfect in every way

89trx250r
08-12-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with some parts and agree with others, being as i ride a laeger250r and my neighbor and i just went and bought him a Walsh yz426 with 250r geo.He was afraid at first but as soon as he rode it he fell in love... in fact hes looking to add a crf to the stable sometime soon.So in my opinion i would suggest you look for a nice laeger narrow crf or maybe a Walsh narrow if you can find one. Or I can provide a link to a guy from the 250r section who is selling a complete walsh crf450 frame,arms,sub,stem,swinger its a narrow cr500 link all youd have to do is build it if you wanna get that in depth the hybrid and 250r sections heres always have parts youd basically use all 250r stuff except motor and exhaust etc...Sorry if im long winded but i strongly believe that the hybrid and 250r will be back to the racing scene eventually and when they do there gonna out-handle everything on the track and youll either be riding one or you wont...

89trx250r
08-12-2011, 07:34 PM
heres a link to a couple nice hybrid crf's not for sale just some of the guys in the hybrid section

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=456215

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458295&perpage=10&highlight=hontrx265r&pagenumber=21