PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r wont go in 3rd gear

seanmccullough4
08-03-2011, 06:51 PM
okay 06 450r all the gears work except 3rd, someone said shift fork bent but idk can someone tell me how much it would cost to fix and wat it might be

DnB_racing
08-04-2011, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by seanmccullough4
okay 06 450r all the gears work except 3rd, someone said shift fork bent but idk can someone tell me how much it would cost to fix and wat it might be your diagnosis is right, it does sound like a shift fork... to do this job you have to remove motor and split the cases,meaning all new gaskets and seals would be best,
when I open up I always do new bearings and seals water pump, but that's me i figure while im there do it right and not have to touch it again for years,

check all gears and crank, clutch.... depending on the extent of the rebuild and what your looking for in the end, in other words if you want to have a new bullet proof motor again, or just want to get through the year,

if you do it yourself, your looking at any were from 200 for just fork, gaskets, and seals to around 400 for all bearings and and oil pump and water pump rebuild

for the shop your looking at least 350-400 for just the fork and gaskets to 1000 depending on what you want done

in other words you could rebuild your whole lower motor for the price the shop would charge for just the fork, but they will check these items while doing the work, and I doubt you would just get away with just the shift fork with the shop... the motors all ways need more then just what you know is wrong,

the second gear dog almost always is worn, depending on hours the rings should be replaced, also after some time the intake valves wear and start to cup... you get the idea,
it might be a very expensive rebuild.. but if you do everything your self its not bad, but if a shop does it and you need these items, which you probably do, it could be as much as 2000..

but that's your decision on what you are looking for in the end, but I do recomend at least doing everything yourself in the lower end, while its open, its cheaper doing it once then going back at the end of season for bearings and gears, and pumps
you can always do the top yourself later

or you could get a shift fork and some three bond, and spend 100 bucks and Mickey mouse it.. but its your call I hope you do it right!

Kovatch
08-04-2011, 10:26 AM
x2 You really have to split the cases to see what all is happening in the cases. I've seen were just one gear is chipped and rounded off and the shift fork busted. That's all that needed replaced. Another had all the 3 of 5 gears mangled, where the shift fork fragged and shot pieces into the cases and broke them.... Not to scare ya, but stop riding it now!

As stated above, consider how many hours are on your motor. If you have 60hrs or so consider replacing the piston, rings, water/oil pumps, valve springs, check out the clutch and all in there. Or just wait until winter and do the remaining stuff to save on cash.