PDA

View Full Version : switching to e85 fuel need help jetting

450rbigcal67
08-03-2011, 06:00 PM
i have a 05 trx 450r with full exhaust and a hot cam stage 1 ive heard good things about e85 and wondering what i would have to do to make it run on e85. Any help is appreciated. thanks

HondaPohl
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Why would you want to run on less octane? What good things have you heard. I've heard it makes everything run like ****.

450rbigcal67
08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
from what ive heard its 105 octane and it runs much cooler than gasoline and has noticable power gains from lower to mid range

brewster426
08-04-2011, 09:28 AM
I know when I raced karts we ran methanol. The air fuel mixture is right at twice for alcohol as it is for gasoline. Say gas is 7.4:1 alcohol would be 14.8:1 you should see a power gain in e85 but don't plan on riding too long without having more fuel. I would consider doing the e85 swap myself but there's nowhere selling it where I love. It is harder on your components though. It makes the carb chalk up pretty quick. We were buying some stuff to run through the carb after the races to keep it from getting nasty. I'm talking like two or three weeks with it sitting there it would look like it was covered in white chalk inside the carb. Also it dries your fuel lines out bad. It's just a few things you have to consider, but all in all I think it would be worth it. And I think the octane level on e85 is higher than 105. I believe the methanol we were running was around 135 or something like that.

450rbigcal67
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks and I live in iowa so finding e85 at the pump isn't a problem here

99_300ex
08-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Sorry to be off topic 450rbigcal67 but where in Iowa are you from I'm from fairfield

jkiserracing
08-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I have no choice but to run it. Its all thats sold where I live now (I think in the entire state) I wish I didn't have to run it. Its bad on the carb. Its killed my mower and weedeater and blower....anything with a carb actually. This year I started finally started using Lucas oil gas additive for e85 gas. Hoping everything I own with a carb will last longer than 3 weeks!!

brewster426
08-08-2011, 08:37 AM
We would run wd40 through the motor after the races before we found out what to buy to cure the problem. It seemed to work okay. We would get the motor running and pull the fuel line off and put it in a 1 gallon jug of wd and keep it running for a min. Or you can get some stuff to run through it. I think palmettos speed shop sells it. You may need to call them. Its just a mix of different things. The stuff we would get would have a tag on it with "animal gas" written on it. Animal being the ohv type motor instead of the conventional flathead motor.

HondaPohl
08-08-2011, 08:01 PM
E85From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about alcohol fuel. For a motorway in Europe, see European route E85. For BMW's platform designation, see BMW Z4.
See also: Common ethanol fuel mixtures

Logo used in the United States for E85 fuelE85 is an abbreviation for an ethanol fuel blend of up to 85% denatured ethanol fuel and gasoline or other hydrocarbon (HC) by volume. E85 is commonly used by flex-fuel vehicles in the US, Canada, and Europe. Some of the benefits of E85 over conventional gasoline powered vehicles include the potential for localized production of fuel in agricultural areas. Another benefit is potentially reduced pollution emissions especially Carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere which is an important element for adaptation to global warming.

Potential benefits of E85 are contested by some experts who point out that deriving gasoline from petroleum is a relatively inexpensive (i.e., more efficient) process, even including the transportation of oil and gasoline long distances. Large-scale production of ethanol may be cost-prohibitive; and may result in a net energy loss when taking into account all the energy required to make alcohol from starchy plants. Another drawback for E85 is that, in a liter-to-liter comparison, E85 has less energy content than conventional gasoline; 30% percent less energy for transportation by volume. On top of it extreme care should be taken before using E85 fuel in portable power generators, chain saws, lawn mower and other gas powered equipment. These tools are not generally designed to be used with a high content of ethanol and can go out of service quickly.

The U.S. became the world's largest fuel ethanol producer in 2006, Brazil remains a close second. U.S. consumers are on track to consume 138 billion gallons of gasoline in 2008 (down from 142 billion gallons in 2007) and approximately 9 billion gallons of U.S.-produced ethanol plus perhaps another 800 million gallons of imported ethanol. Fuel blenders have a strong incentive to use all this ethanol because they receive a 51ยข-per-gallon subsidy (the blenders tax credit) from taxpayers. In addition, since February 2011, the price of ethanol has been less than the price of gasoline. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations allow blended fuel to contain up to 10 percent ethanol. California regulations allow up to 5.7 percent blends. Minnesota law requires all gasoline to have an ethanol content of 10%, separate from the E85 blended fuel which is also available. Ethanol is showing up in all grades of gasoline everywhere as E10 which is 10% ethanol / 90% gasoline, other than e85 of course. The fact that ethanol is already in widescale production seems to discount the economic cost claims against ethanol. Data in the CIA world fact book show a forthcoming end to known oil reserves, at least based on total current proved reserves and consumption rates. Ethanol is providing one window of proved alternative fuel. Since the inception of ethanol blending nationally, cars have been designed to be ethanol proofed. The E85 flexfuel vehicles have been designed to run more efficiently than vehicles running on standard E10 or E20, but many drivers report satisfaction with using E85 in their vehicles which are ethanol proofed and designed for E20 efficiency.

I was wrong. 85 is not the octane but the percentage of ethenol. Still says it will make it run like ****.

jkiserracing
08-08-2011, 08:32 PM
OK. Well after reading that, I stand corrected, our gas has the "up to 10% ethanol" what ever that is. Its still hard on my carb. All though I beleive that the gas additive Im using works really well.

martnmx288
08-09-2011, 06:34 AM
There are a lot of guys running E85 in high compression race cars and big boost turbo cars here with great success. I've considered trying it in my practice bike however you need to jet 80-90% richer. Try finding a 300 main jet lol

brewster426
08-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I would bet money that it is a substantial horsepower gain..being that you can run stupid hight compression on e85 which is a lot more easier to come by than race gas. Or if your looking for something close to that..that's easier on your components. You could always run av fuel. I've heard that running on alcohol or methanol (whatever you want to call it) is a 15% horsepower gain. If e85 was abundant in my area I would do it.