PDA

View Full Version : I am a lucky and happy kid!

trx400exrider14
08-03-2011, 01:01 PM
After all of my recent problems and me not being able to fix them in time for my race, Get It performance is gonna take it in, put aside there other quads and make sure its done by my race next sunday. Needless to say. It made me very happy. But when it gets back and i race the race im gonna sell it and get a yfz. Sorry Honda's. Lol

HondaPohl
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Good luck!

trx400exrider14
08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks!

flyboy1294
08-03-2011, 03:10 PM
With all due respect, if you cannot maintain your 400, how do you expect to maintain a high-performance 450?

In all honesty, I had NO idea what I was getting into when I sold my 400. For every hour I spend riding my 450R, I have to spend 30 minutes afterwards maintaining it. With the 400, I just kept it clean and changed the oil once a month.

The YFZ is even more complex than the UniCam in the R setup. Racing is fun, but for the weekend fairground warrior, I'd stick with the 400.

CJM
08-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Enjoy the insane maintenance that comes with one!

Thumpin440ex
08-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
With all due respect, if you cannot maintain your 400, how do you expect to maintain a high-performance 450?

The YFZ is even more complex than the UniCam in the R setup. Racing is fun, but for the weekend fairground warrior, I'd stick with the 400.

EXACTLY

John

Thumpin440ex
08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Enjoy the insane maintenance that comes with one!

EXACTLY...

John

exrider12
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
The maintenance on the 450's isnt any worse than your 400. All this crap about adjusting valves and top end rebuilds is just that..crap. Change the oil every 2-3 rides, keep the filters clean and youll be fine.

Everyone bashing 450's has either never owned one or got one and doesnt know how to maintain it.

CJM
08-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
The maintenance on the 450's isnt any worse than your 400. All this crap about adjusting valves and top end rebuilds is just that..crap. Change the oil every 2-3 rides, keep the filters clean and youll be fine.

Everyone bashing 450's has either never owned one or got one and doesnt know how to maintain it.

Right.

I mean afterall, shimming valves sucks, nikasil sleeves cant be bored, when the engine gets quite hot and the valves arent in spec you get to push start it, dual timing gears on the YFZ, bore gets worn out much quicker-your revving MUCH higher, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum

They do require more work, PERIOD. I could take brand new stock 450r and a 400ex and the R will need work sooner than the EX with the same amount of hours and basic maintenance.

Of course im not saying they are junk, they arent-they just need more attention to be kept running right. Just change the oil in an EX and it will run for damn near forever, sadly-that cant be said about a 450. Not bad bikes-but just like owning a corvette and a camaro-2 totally different machines, with 2 totally different needs.

Speed37
08-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Well if you think just changing the oil ever couple rides, and adjusting the valves depending on your riding style is bad. Try to maintain a dumb 98 blaster with cable brakes!! You dont know how happy i was when i got my 400ex just beacuse it has hydraulic brakes. Half the times i had little to no brakes on the blaster. And it doesnt have engine braking sooo yeah haa. So aadjusting my brakes every time i wanna ride is a pain in the ***.

flyboy1294
08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by exrider12

He can't deal with the maintenance or basic upkeep on his 400, and had to have a shop take care of it.

It doesn't sound like he needs to be upgrading to a more expensive, complicated atv.

I have a beautiful 450R, and I maintain it rigorously. I love the added power compared to my 440. I have ridden both quads, and I can honestly say, the 400 was a dream to work on. It was awesome being able to pull out 2 plugs from the engine/oil cooler and drain and replace ALL of the fluids and know you were good to go for a half dozen rides.

Unfortunately, it just isn't so with the 450s.

bergoff
08-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Why would you fix your quad to keep it for one race and then sell it? And you better learn to do your own maintenance. It will cost you a ton to keep taking it to the shop. Good luck with the race.

chronicsmoke
08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
There is a bit more maintenance on the 450rs, I have my valves checked and the motor tuned by my engine builder every spring.. Doesn't cost me mega $$ for a basic top end job. (And I could do it myself, but he's a good friend/sponsor so its more of a reason to get together than anything..)

I still have to change my bearings/oil my chain/clean my air filter just as often as I did on my 400ex when i was racing it.

Just drop the motor side oil every 4-5 hrs on the 450 and make sure the air filter is clean.. Pretty much all the maintenance there is too it.

HondaRacing83
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
im thinking about selling the 400 for a raptor 700. just throwin it out there.

evan402
08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
have fun getting the dual carbs dialed in...

PaRedneckRiders
08-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by evan402
have fun getting the dual carbs dialed in...
He wont have to worry about carbs with the 700 he has to worry about FI
I had a 660 with dual carbs it was the biggest POS i ever owned i should have fixed it but just ran in instead and when i sold it, it blew up like 2 weeks later :)

But ive always felt raptors were really top heavy and i will never buy another one

Anyways back on topic, 450s are definitely more maintenance than a 400.
I think about the most i ever did maintenance wise on my 400s was change oil clean air filter and adjust the valves (which is really really simple on a 400).
When i had my crf450 i of course was changing oil air filter ect. but i was doing it more often than i had to do with the 400.

Being able to do your own work is a huge plus if you can do all your own work then the 450 is ok. I loved mine even though it was a bike but i didnt like the upkeep that came with it, but i sure did like the difference in power.

flyboy1294
08-04-2011, 08:06 AM

Imo, getting rid of the 400 is a mistake unless you are hardcore into something (namely MX or dunes).

If I remember right, you are the kid that has been floating around here since he was 11. I seriously doubt you are big enough to feel uncomfortable on your 400, and you are probably just now getting the weight put on to be able to sling it around. Plus, yours is almost stock.

My kid brother has a Raptor 250 with a full HMF system, K&N air filter, EHS airbox lid, and Stage 2 Hotcam. It would outrun my friends 400ex all the way until 4th gear when they were neck and neck.

Case in point: open that EX up and THEN see if you need more power. All of Honda's quads are really corked up from the factory. If you feel bored on it now, do a high comp piston, Hotcam, full exhaust,450R carb, open airbox and enjoy a new lease on life.

I really could care less what you or the OP do. I am just saying, I thought I NEEDED a 450R for my riding style, and now that I have one I realize I wasn't even riding my 400 up to its full potential. My 450R probably thinks I'm a grandpa :o

HondaRacing83
08-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Pa- i had a raptor 660 and hated it. it was an 01, and beat to hell and back. i quickly got rid of it. The dual carbs was a PITA, hopefully the 700 shouldnt be as bad.
Flyboy- Yeah, i was smit back then, thats when my dad bought my stuff. not now, ive had my 400ex since last summer, im 14, 5'11" and 151lbs. I'm not a tiny kid. It is pretty slow for me. I've been riding quads since i was 3. I've read up a lot, i know my stuff dude. Since when was this a thread bashing the OP? He was just telling you guys about his local shop..

finsteratv
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Pa- i had a raptor 660 and hated it. it was an 01, and beat to hell and back. i quickly got rid of it. The dual carbs was a PITA, hopefully the 700 shouldnt be as bad.
Flyboy- Yeah, i was smit back then, thats when my dad bought my stuff. not now, ive had my 400ex since last summer, im 14, 5'11" and 151lbs. I'm not a tiny kid. It is pretty slow for me. I've been riding quads since i was 3. I've read up a lot, i know my stuff dude. Since when was this a thread bashing the OP? He was just telling you guys about his local shop..
haha im also 14 around 150 and 5'11"
my view is this, why put a bunch of money into your quad to be faster when you couldve just bought somthing a step up? i realize i could build and mod my 400 but it will NEVER be a 450..thats why im looking into 450's. i do alot of dunes on my 400 on a 20 mile ride i about drain the thing because im constantly WOT..thats my sign to get somthing more. when you're bored with the power, constantly find yourself at WOT, and are riding it very hard..i mean in whoops sections i was passing a group of 20 somthing year old guys on these crazy raptors. idk if maybe they just suckd but i know they were surprised to see that 400 fly by :D NOW its 450r time

flyboy1294
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM

Again, with all due respect, your 400ex doesn't really have any performance parts based on your sig and what you have said on the board. I agree with you, they aren't all that exciting stock. As a matter of fact, they're turds. Throw a few hundred at that engine and you will be blasting around the trails all day long. But hey, that's just my opinion. It's your life, do what you want.

I am not bashing the OP, nor is anyone else on here from what I read. I, along with a few other members, am speaking about my personal experience with the swap from a 400 to a 450.

Anyway, enjoy your 700. Maybe you can find another member here on the boards to hook you up with a pink powerband again. ;)

HondaRacing83
08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
my 400 heats up pretty fast. its internally stock. i have a pipe and filter. wanting a sparks key. im always on the throttle. even in the trails. im wanting to go faster, im not to big on the 450's. i like the raptor 700's, i go to the track a lot to.

HondaRacing83
08-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Again, with all due respect, your 400ex doesn't really have any performance parts based on your sig and what you have said on the board. I agree with you, they aren't all that exciting stock. As a matter of fact, they're turds. Throw a few hundred at that engine and you will be blasting around the trails all day long. But hey, that's just my opinion. It's your life, do what you want.

I am not bashing the OP, nor is anyone else on here from what I read. I, along with a few other members, am speaking about my personal experience with the swap from a 400 to a 450.

Anyway, enjoy your 700. Maybe you can find another member here on the boards to hook you up with a pink powerband again. ;) hahahaha oh my god i was retarded when i was smit. i was so gullible. i apoligize for anyone who had to read the mockery i typed. you guys still members of PETA?(; btw i liked the polka dot powerbands! they flex!

chronicsmoke
08-04-2011, 12:11 PM
i go to the track a lot to.

You just took the Raptor out of my list of quads for you to buy.

They are TQ BEASTS and are a blast to ride, but NOT on a track.. You'll find it hard to tame a bike that big on a track..

Sell the 400 and get a 450 (they get REALLY hot)

OR.

Throw some Benji's at the 400ex motor (416 bore, 11:1, Sg 2 Cam, P&P)

And find some 450r front shocks..

My 426ex hauls right beside my 450r on a MX track in the tight sections/sequence sections.. but the open sections/straight aways are a totaly different story. The 450r has way more potential to win.. If you're not trying to win, then the 400ex with mods is a good bike. Especially to practice the basics like cornering, body language, control in the air.

HondaRacing83
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
i dont really want to put the money into the 400. if i were to itd be one without reverse.

chronicsmoke
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM
if i were to itd be one without reverse.

Why? stonger gearbox??

PaRedneckRiders
08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
i dont really want to put the money into the 400. if i were to itd be one without reverse.
Hey if you dont want reverse ill sell ya an 02 bottom end.
But no in all seriousness why would it be without reverse. Reverse is nice to have in some cases.

I would have to say stock suspension is holding you back the most though what good does all the power in the world do if you cant get it to the ground and be able to handle it, other than drag racing.

If you ride mostly trails, some 450r shocks up front and a little motor work (cam carb maybe even piston) and you will see a world of improvement. Plus a nice port and polish job to suite your riding style is a major plus for the EX.
So for about $1000 bucks or so you would now have a totally different machine and still have reverse.

Could even be less if you can find used parts to fit what your looking for

CJM
08-04-2011, 06:32 PM
My setup will run with 450rs all damn day long. yes the 450r is faster, but believe me I dont have any issues keeping up.

In stock form an EX-even with a sparks key imho has no power. Hopping on mine from a stocker, to one with a key and stage 2 HC-they feel gutless. Everyone who rides mine loves it, amazing lowend power as well as excellent all around power. A little better gearing (im geared low for trails) and it would be a faster too.

But what makes you fast is the power you have to a degree-but you gotta have the suspension to handle it. Right now Im pretty dialed in. Frontend is a bit stiff but ok, rear is soft since I swapped to a 450r shock (mine busted and all the EX ones on ebay they wanted $$$ for some reason or another 450r shocks were cheaper) and handles ok but bounces around alot unless I fly over whoops. But Im plenty fast enough. If anything the only thing holding me back is putting my 450r carb on it and a good suspension.

What I personally dont like about the 450s is they are more work period. Work is also harder to do-the EX is stupid simple. That and as my buddy found out with his 450r-the valves were just done-but the dang thing got to hot and we had to push start it all damn day. For the track they are very good, but if you ride on trails like me the power hits way to high. I can lug like a tractor all day-my buddy cant.

HondaRacing83
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
i wanna get more into track, im not the biggest on trails. but theyre my backyard

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I believe i can do it all my self. In fact i have a gift card for the shop i wanted to use. So i figured since work needed done i would take it and use the card. Plus, those are professional mechanics who can get it done ALOT quicker than me, get parts quicker than me, fix there mistakes quicker than me. I am on a time base here. Next year i wont be a weekend warrior. I will be stepping up to Gncc in August when i turn 16. I thought this website was for encouragment and helping each other, not bashing each other and putting people down.

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:32 PM
and wtf? I am not 11. I am 15. 5'6, 120 pounds. Ive rode MANY of 450's. Yea it will take some getting used to. I can ride one. You guys DON'T know me. If all you're gonna do is criticize me get of off my thread. I haven't even had my 400 for a year. Guess what, i already don't like it. If i am wasting money on it so be it. Not like im spending any of your money. And why take the chance of messing it up, doing it myself, when i can take it to a professional shop?

01boneless
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
woh dude calm down lol

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Well leave me alone about it! What's it matter to you guys if i get a 450, I can do the work, if im not riding all i do is sit around, I have time for work.

01boneless
08-07-2011, 07:44 PM
i never even said anything except calm down dont try to bash me dude

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I am talking to the people who were bashing me.

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:46 PM
The ones who knows my life, money situations, and my quad.

01boneless
08-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I know what you mean JUST

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Doesn't matter. I am done with this site anyways, selling the 400, getting a MUCH faster 450.

Thumpin440ex
08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by trx400exrider14
Doesn't matter. I am done with this site anyways, selling the 400, getting a MUCH faster 450.

Bye :D

John

01boneless
08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
com on no laugh? lol just kidding cool:blah:

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Well the forum atleast.

trx400exrider14
08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm not mad, not mad at all. I get aggravated with people always naggin at me.

01boneless
08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
cool:D :scary: :huh :devil: :eek2: :p :o :( ;) :rolleyes: :confused: :blah: :macho :chinese: :ermm: :mad: :grr: :eek: :cool: :) :cuss: :bandit: :uhoh: :tired: :devious: :muscle: ;) ;)

greencow
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
This has been a fun little read (HAHA) Clam down bro?

01boneless
08-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by greencow
This has been a fun little read (HAHA) Clam down bro?

see you laughed lol

flyboy1294
08-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Bye :D

John

Made my night :D

Seriously though, to the OP, no one was bashing you. Most, if not all of us, OWN a 450. (There is a fine line between riding something, and actually working and doing the maintenance on it.) The entire purpose of my posts was to make sure you were well informed before you make another major purchase.

But hey, same deal with you as Smit, it's your life. Enjoy your new 450. :macho

... If you ever want to buy a powerband, we can hook you up. ;)

01boneless
08-07-2011, 08:16 PM
... If you ever want to buy a powerband, we can hook you up. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

lmao i even sell red ones haha :D

finsteratv
08-07-2011, 08:17 PM
im with the original poster. if you mention you're a kid all people do is bash and i hate it. BTW not all bike guys are D's i found out today like most of you say. i took my bike out and the carb float was stuck and some guys helped me on my cr125 so i could get back to riding good. idk whats up with the bashing on various threads here..

01boneless
08-07-2011, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by finsteratv
[B]im with the original poster. if you mention you're a kid all people do is bash

i definitly agree there but you just dont get into 450rs on the ex forum i learned that myself people dont like it for some reason? but how did your trip go? pm me

flyboy1294
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally post by finsteratv

im with the original poster. if you mention you're a kid all people do is bash and i hate it.

Seriously though, to the OP, no one was bashing you...

HondaRacing83
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
flyboy i need brown polka dots powerband for my super offroad TT race. if i get a 660, im gonna need 2 powerbands because of the dual carbs. if i get a raptor 700, i dont need to worry about that its fuel injecited with built in flux capaciters. i need new mudlites on my quad for the mx race in a few weeks to, theyre directed forward, makes you go faster than that x pattern. duhh :D

87HONDATRX250X
08-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Ive noticed a lot of guys are debating between keeping there 400s or getting 450s. I race mx and can keep up with the 450s. Its in the straight always and corners if they know how to use all there power where they get me. Ive got a lot into my quad and id like to finish it off but, i know ill never get my money outta it. That is why i am aiming for a 450. Next year would be the last year running the 400 in my class then i gotta move up :S Hate to sell it and will miss the easy maintenance but i dont wanna end up killing it trying to race all the 450s and place decent

Thumpin440ex
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
No body has been bashing, simply stating the obvious that alot of us have been through already.. 450's bottom line are more to maintain then the 400 is.. PERIOD.. And to the guy that said everybody hates on guys that are young or say they are kids.. You need to take into consideration that most 14-18 Y/O's are ignorant, think they know it all.. They will post a ?? up, then when they do not get the answer they want to hear, they start the ''oh stop hating, bashing on me''.. I was young once, know how it is, been there done that..

John

87HONDATRX250X
08-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
No body has been bashing, simply stating the obvious that alot of us have been through already.. 450's bottom line are more to maintain then the 400 is.. PERIOD.. And to the guy that said everybody hates on guys that are young or say they are kids.. You need to take into consideration that most 14-18 Y/O's are ignorant, think they know it all.. They will post a ?? up, then when they do not get the answer they want to hear, they start the ''oh stop hating, bashing on me''.. I was young once, know how it is, been there done that..

John

x2

01boneless
08-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 87HONDATRX250X
x2

^^^x3

Thumpin440ex
08-08-2011, 09:07 PM
And yes I had a R also.. Bought it while I was redoing my 400

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex%20build/get-attachmentaspx-4.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/018-3.jpg

John

trx400exrider14
08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes,i thank you guys for helping me. It's just when people say i can't maintain a quad on my own i shouldn't get another one. I don't get where it is such a big deal to have people do my work. I can do it myself. But i mean,i had a gift card. It needed work so i went with it. I am sorry for having the attitude i did with you guys. I won't talk about 450's on this forum.