PDA

View Full Version : hiper wheels for 400ex reviews

theduke300
08-03-2011, 08:46 AM
ive never ran anything besides stock wheels and i lov the look of the hipers. im wantin to see what some of you that have hipers on your 400ex think about em. also what is the mudplug,carbon fiber wheel thing etc. i just like the looks of em but dont no if the worth the money. any helps appreciated thanks

PaRedneckRiders
08-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I ran them for a while and i liked them. (dont have a quad now)

But if i get another quad i will for sure run beadlocks but prob a different brand.

Dont get me wrong the hipers were nice but i have always liked dwt beadlocks more.
Unless you plan on racing or something there not really gonna serve any purpose. Because they are designed so you can run lower tire pressure for more traction and not have the bead break off a non beadlock rim. Essentially the bead of the tire is clamped to the rim then aired up.

Big thing with hipers though is MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the rings because i have seen more than a few sets crack if they were overtightened then ridden on.

Tommy Warren
08-03-2011, 10:35 AM
i;ve used them on my old trx they where fine for me....

evan402
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
i love my hipers. Love the look, lightweight, and stylish. They are the only beadlocks ive ever had so i cant tell they are better or worse than another brand. They do what they should. Hold the bead of the tire on the rim..

evan402
08-03-2011, 02:07 PM
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo236/trullitaken5/iphonepics9-14-10195.jpg
i dont have any mud plugs tho.

CJM
08-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I ran some older douglass beadlocks, I liked them alot. MUCH cheaper the the hipers-sure the hipers are lighter but for the price they want-I wouldnt bother.

Scro
08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I ran some older douglass beadlocks, I liked them alot. MUCH cheaper the the hipers-sure the hipers are lighter but for the price they want-I wouldnt bother.

Actually, Hiper beadlocks aren't any lighter than other aluminum beadlocks. Not sure about the non-beadlock. But, if I had to guess, I'd say they aren't any lighter either.

CJM
08-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Actually, Hiper beadlocks aren't any lighter than other aluminum beadlocks. Not sure about the non-beadlock. But, if I had to guess, I'd say they aren't any lighter either.

I stand corrected Dustin.

Stickman400
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
I had a friend say the same thing that Scro said. They aren't any lighter than the stock or aftermarket aluminum wheels. He had them on his 450R and he changed to DWT beadlocks and likes them more.

400man
08-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Ive got just some old douglas beadlocks on mine. it took me a little while to find the fronts, I got lucky and found a set on ebay that were 4:1 offset and I decided not to pass em up.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400exbeadlocks002.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400exbeadlocks010.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400exbeadlocks009.jpg

chronicsmoke
08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
i heard the same thing about the weight assosiated with the Hipers, but you can buy the individual parts and replace just the part that broke (if they ever break)

Plus the different colour rings are pretty cool, but you can't find a decent set of use hipers for the price of used regular beadlocks. That's what swayed my decision and I got ITP's

evan402
08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
when i decided i wanted beadlocks i honestly had no idea if one was better than the other and i still dont think one actually would be better. I just searched for about 2 months for the best deal on any beadlock. I ended up finding a great deal from a member of this forum for Hipers and couldnt have been happier with the price and quality of what i bought.

400eXz
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
im more than likely gonna buy a set of hipers off a buddy of mine for 400 bucks not a bad deal for tech 3s which all new is about $800

MtnEX
08-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I think they are the best looking wheel made, and the most practical option for colored wheels. But they are pricey.

I like them but I'm scared to death of them. Our race team has had a mixed bag of luck with them. Myself I have been too poor this season, so I have watched how the rest have done.

The first to run them already had the old CF1 wheels. Great results. Even ran half a season on cracked rings. Just got new rings a while back.

Second to run them got those colored CF1's and has had issues with them leaking... not mating up correctly between the wheel halves.

Third to run them bough the Tech 3's. First national race demolished an inner ring on one of the rears. Couple races later he decided to try a different front tire and the wheels started crumbling around the inserts. Not a torque issue. Warranty covered it, but he sold them.

All in all, that is what I see across the board... mixed results now. I think they make an excellent wheel, that is tough enough to be the best.... but I think they have a problem with QUALITY CONTROL.

Not really acceptable for the price level.

Myself, If I were going to buy some, I think I would be more comfortable buying a used set with no new parts than a new set. I also believe if I bought new, I would get single beadlocks. Almost every rear failure I have seen has been a Tech 3 dual beadlock and occured on the inside.

MtnEX
12-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Gosh, glad I finally found this thread because I have wanted to update for a while.

Here is what ended up happening to me.... At first, I hated black wheels and loved aluminum. But then here I had a Polaris with white wheels and struggled to round up the hubs and wheels to get it over to raw aluminum. So I shot what I had black and it looked so much better. Then I got a KFX450R with black wheels and hated them. But they were powder coat so I did not attempt stripping them.

Over time I grew to really like the black wheels somehow. But I got where I was hating maintaining them. Trying to keep my racer looking fresh was trying. So I got some aluminum for it and gah... it looked so joe dirt to me as they were stock KFX wheels with the holes, etc. I shot those black and there again started to hate the upkeep.

Finally it came down to aluminum beadlocks or Hipers. I wanted both and rid of the stock wheels but did not have the money. So I decided to spring for Hiper CF1's because I could have the black and when they scratch they are still black.

When I went to actually purchase though I got talked past my fears and into the Tech 3 wheels. I went with the fronts and the single beadlock rears to avoid my fears of breaking the inside of the dual beadlocks like I had seen.

They were all excellent on holding air but rather tight on the lug fit sliding on. I think this lead to some shavings getting under the lugs which had to be used without washers because the billet centers are so thick. For the first time in my life I had a wheel come off and so the left rear had worked loose in a race while mounted on the KFX. I was real lucky the way it happened.

Anyways, here is what I can tell you about them rather it matters or not to you.

Tech 3 warranty is no questions. So I will get a free center when I send mine back.

Tech 3's look better with black rings and colored or not hubs. CF1's look better if you are going to run colored rings. I have green rings and with the billet centers of the Tech 3 there is not a lot of black to them.

These wheels are very heavy... really disappointing heavy. I forget exactly what they weigh but it is a lot more than aluminum. My Hipers with the lighter GNCC's weigh the same as HD's on aluminum. I think 24.6 lbs in the rear?

So don't buy for weight savings. It's a gain, so that part is a myth.

hondaREX
12-17-2012, 02:44 AM
I have tech 3s i got used for a good price after i went thru a few stockers when i was riding my 250r. I love them. I never seize the ring bolts everytime i remove a tire. I use pool noodles in them as well. Never broke anything and never pulled an insert. I ride some of the rockiest trails out there and the hipers take it all. Very happy with them. Always looking for another set to have around.

hondaREX
12-17-2012, 07:10 AM
WOW, old thread!! Didnt see that until i checked it on a computer. Stupid phone is so small!

theduke300
12-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Hondarex haha its okay. I still wanna hear as many reviwews on the hipers as i can

Mtnex my cousin bought the same wheels for his kfx and is still having very good luck and we love them despite the weight difference.

Use to be, hipers were the only beadlock i liked the look of, but at a harescramble a few weeks ago, i saw a bill ballance yfz with blue dwt's and man, the thing looked sick!!!!

jman7290
12-18-2012, 09:06 PM
I love mine and the best part is that I can easily change my tires!

jman7290
12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
The other side!

Pittsburgh400ex
12-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I think if your willing to spend what hiper wants for just the beadlock CF1's, go get a set of OMF beadlocks, they are the same price, more options, also modular, finish holds up better for longer and imo, looks much nicer. You run the carbon fibers hard in some loose gravel or similar they get real ugly, real fast, i've seen them "used" OMF's are a better choice. My .02

MtnEX
12-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Can you point me to where you are getting OMF beadlocks reasonable???

I would be alright with a set of those powder coated on the inside with raw dull aluminum rings.

It's impossible to keep the bead area of my wheels looking decent. I race and when stuff takes out a bit of aluminum of course it's taking out the powder coat too.

Pittsburgh400ex
12-24-2012, 11:34 AM
MtnEx:

8" OMF beadlock for 137.00 a piece on Immortalatv.com. 7$ more than than the hipers. Go look son.

Pittsburgh400ex
12-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Actually...a HIper cf1 rear is 129.oo with NO BEADLOCK. Add the ring and it jumps up to 170.00. Look at those OMF's fellas, they are known for the 450.00$ adjutable offset...no one realizes they offer MANY options!!!

Furthermore, if you research a little you will find that OMF uses the Douglas .190 wheels as a base, so it's quality from the get-go.

Stickman400
12-24-2012, 04:36 PM
I got my front set of Hipers for my 450R that are 4+1 offset and single beadlock for $150 a piece from my local dealer. I think they go for around $170-$180 retail. I got cut a good deal since I go there alot. I haven't had a single issue with them. The old Tech 3s I had leaked air like crazy and when I went to fix them I spun an insert and had to break the nut out of the carbon fiber to get the ring off. So I just bought new rims instead of fixing them, mostly because I like the look of having a full carbon fiber rim, plus I can add a red ring and it'll look sick against all the black.