PDA

View Full Version : my day of riding and why i wont get a dirtbike

HondaRacing83
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
one of my buddies and his little brother came over riding today at my place, ive got a 400ex (obvious) he has a yz250f, and his brother has a klx140. we were going trail riding, so we take off and were riding for hours. then we go back to one of my big fields, were sitting there chillen for a minute, then me and my buddy traded off. i dont have much experience on my bike but thought hey whats the worst that could happen? i started ripping around. it was pretty fast. i couldnt seem to get used to the twist throttle though. im just getting used to it runnin around the field. we decide to hit the trails again, not even half way down the trail i wipe out. i was leading, luckly they werent that close. i gave it a little gas and the front end came right up. bike went flying, hit a tree. i tried to hold on as much as i could, but couldnt. im not entirely sure what happened. kind of a split second thing. ive learned to tie my helmet.. as soon as i hit the ground my helmet caught and slid off. it took the impact though. ive got road rash all up my back, did something to my left knee, not sure what but hurts like a *****. my right knee is like bare skin to. im pretty sore. my buddy and his brother get up and run over and is all worried about me, im like wtf! whats the bike look like! im fine! then they start laughing, i only bent the clutch lever and cracked the back number. my buddy is a pretty nice dude, like my brother actually, he said hes got it covered he was gonna sell it soon anyways. then we sat there for a bit, came up with a story incase our parents questioned anything. they did, luckly they bought the stories. if i ever get a dirtbike ill be doing a thumb throttle conversion. the twist throttle was like hell. that bike was pretty damn fast for me to. i didnt expect that out of a 250. of coarse im kinda a rookie to dirt bikes. fun day overall ;D

Ruby Soho
08-02-2011, 10:17 PM
put some seat time on a bike with twist. you will get used to it.

hell these days i get on my brothers quad and the thumb feels stupid after twisting for so long:devil:

finsteratv
08-02-2011, 10:51 PM
i know what you mean haha. my 125 feels a bit foreign at times with the twister. kinda fun to just whaaap on sometimes though haha

slightlybent47
08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
I ride both bikes and quads and I never feel like I can’t control ether one.
I think us old schoolers grew up with a twist have a better time making the switch.
I’ve had bikes with thumbs and didn’t like it and quads with a twisty and I liked that.
I guess I’ve ridden both so long it doesn’t make any deference anymore.
Ruby Soho has it rite, seat time will help.

muddy400EX
08-03-2011, 01:48 AM
ya, just gotta get used to it

theres a reason quads come with thumb, and bikes come with twist,lol

and you dont strap your helmet? lulz. you must not ride tracks, cuz people on tracks will pull up and tell you to strap it

quadman21
08-03-2011, 07:05 AM
I've tried the twist years ago on a 300ex. hours later I went back to a thumb. Years later I gave it another shot on my 400EX. Same deal, changed it back. It was like learning to ride all over. The quads just didn't feel the same and i was worried I would crash way before the learning curve was reached to feel comfortable on them. Recently I've had my eyes on bikes. I've been wondering for those of us who are married to a thumb, what the experience would be of a thumb on a bike? Hmmmmn?

bergoff
08-03-2011, 07:39 AM
I started out on a bike and I love them. The only reason I got a 400ex because it was hard to ride my crf450 with my son on his crf50. I will eventually get another bike someday it just takes time and the best thing to do is hop back on it if he will let you.

HondaRacing83
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
ya, he'd let me back on it. he loves riding my 400. and i mainly ride private tracks and trails.. ill prob pick up some learning experience when i get this cr80 rebuilt.

buck440
08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
first day i rode my bike i flipped it lol. it's a right of passage for future dirtbike riders:)

HondaRacing83
08-03-2011, 10:37 AM
haha i was so confused when i got up. i didnt have much of a clue of what happened.

HondaRacing83
08-03-2011, 11:10 AM
i think its funny how i had riding pants, riding boots, and just a tshirt on. my arms dont have a mark on them. i slid awhile to hahahah. and it wore through my riding pants and messed up my knees.

ProspectorJim
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
i think its funny how i had riding pants, riding boots, and just a tshirt on. my arms dont have a mark on them. i slid awhile to hahahah. and it wore through my riding pants and messed up my knees.

your pants don't have padding in the knees?

HondaRacing83
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
they do. i guess not enough. i wear no fear pants.

BlaineKaiser450
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Problem Solved

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/BlaineKaiser450/thumbthrottle001.jpg

finsteratv
08-03-2011, 01:49 PM
hey blaine could you PM me, i'd kind of like to put a thumb on my CR

PaRedneckRiders
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Ive ridden bikes for a while and wish i still had my crf450r but well i dont haha owell.

But i was considering a thumb throttle at one point in time just to try it but i didn't i just dont think it would feel natural.

I have ridden a few quads with twist throttle and i just absolutely hate it but on i bike i love the twist.
I have slowed down alot now that i have my dr650 because the thing is way to heavy and seems underpowered compared to my race bikes ive had. You just cant throw it around like a nice aluminum framed bike.

Im really thinking about buying another crf450r was checking out a 2010 leftover at the local dealer yesterday but dont think i can take a 7k plunge on a new bike may just have to keep my eye open for a newer used FI bike.

HondaRacing83
08-03-2011, 05:47 PM
arent you like 15? they wont let you

CJM
08-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Tried bikes before, was pretty good till I almost shattered my hand riding thru 2 trees to close to the bars. I like bikes ok, but like quads much better.

PaRedneckRiders
08-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
arent you like 15? they wont let you
Ya, but i didnt plan on financing a bike.
And it wouldn't be in my name, id just be paying for it.

I wouldnt mind buying one but seems like im always buying and selling things, so wouldnt be all that practical to buy a new bike because if i ended up selling it i would take a big loss.

Around here there are a few bikes for sale that want to trade for vehicles and i may be buying my buddies 96 caviler really cheap so i could prob turn that around and get another OK bike for now but not a newer FI bike.

BlasterEaten250
08-03-2011, 06:01 PM
You are likely to fall a few times before you get used to a bike...atleast I did :o That's what makes them fun though!

destey
08-04-2011, 05:47 AM
I pull back pretty hard on the handlebars most of the time. Can't imagine using a twist.

HondaRacing83
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by destey
I pull back pretty hard on the handlebars most of the time. Can't imagine using a twist. twist sucks.
ya i know falling is part of it.

250x_kyle
08-04-2011, 01:38 PM
twisties for bikes and thumbs for quad. you get used to it after some seat time. switched off with my buddy once. love the yz450f on the track but hate it on trails. not a good idea to rip on anything your not used to.

slightlybent47
08-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Riding bikes and quads are two deferent things. You ride them differently. On a bike you almost never turn the bars to full lock. Much less hole it there all the way around a corner. And you never get down real low and hang off the side of a bike like you do on a quad. Also you don’t need to pull on the bars of a bike like you do a quad.

bergoff
08-04-2011, 06:16 PM
I have crashed on dirtbikes alot they are what I started on. My 400ex is my first quad and when I crashed it last year it was the worst crash I ever had. The bad thing about them compared to bikes is it will find you on the way down. Lol. I haves twist on my 400ex and I love it. It all depends on what you like and feel comfortable with. With a thumb throttle on my hand cramps so bad but I broke my had when I was 16 so if I want to ride all day I have to use a twist.

woodsman250r
08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I crashed a LOT when I first started on bikes and hated a twist throttle with a passion. But, you will slowly get used to it and it will become second nature just like a thumb throttle. To be honest, I hate thumb throttles now when I'm on the utility. One benefit is that I can ride a lot longer and harder and not get arm pump with a twist throttle. Just give it time, practice on easy terrain and get used to throttle control with a twist. I promise it is a lot easier the more seat time you get on a bike!