PDA

View Full Version : SS oil filter

440ex. ehhh!!
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
whats the best way to clean a stainless steel oil filter!???
it doesn't seem like spraying brake cleaner on it does much at all :confused:
any tricks??

Josh

ThumPIN_450R
08-03-2011, 01:40 AM
I have found the best way is too throw it in the trash and use oem. I prefer brand new on my oil filters. It costs too much money to risk not getting a oil filter clean to try and save a couple bucks.

eastside 400
08-03-2011, 05:13 AM
just buy the tusk filters from rockymountain, they are pretty cheap and good quality in my opinion. I've been using them for 2-3 years in my quad and bike and no problems and they do stop small debris, i cut mine apart everytime i change the oil.

Ruf Racing
08-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
just buy the tusk filters from rockymountain, they are pretty cheap and good quality in my opinion.

^^ Agreed ^^ :macho

desratt
08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I use contact cleaner and when real bad compressed air. Almost a full can of contact cleaner thou. It definitely would actually be cheaper to use OEM but I have had a few in the last decade or so had the paper rip

DnB_racing
08-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by desratt
I use contact cleaner and when real bad compressed air. Almost a full can of contact cleaner thou. It definitely would actually be cheaper to use OEM but I have had a few in the last decade or so had the paper rip what type ripped?

the only time Ive ever seen them rip is with WAY too many hours

if you change them every oil change, after every tank of gas, or every ride, Ive never seen even a dirty filter never mind any damage

when i cut mine open its very hard to even cut through them,

on poorly maintained customers quads I can always tell the real old used out filterers by how soft the paper gets from sitting in old contaminated oil for months.... if left in too long they do get soggy and start to degrade

desratt
08-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Don,t recall the brand I always just bought what they had but always stay on top of maintainance. Bot I had some internal failures and possible a sharp chunk pushed through it.