PDA

View Full Version : stator or what?

tmatthews4
08-02-2011, 02:44 PM
the bike will start and idle fine but when you get to about 3/4 throttle it starts cutting out,poping,backfireing and just runs like crap, I have replaced the plug,coil,cleaned the carb and checked the reeds and all seems fine, when i removed the stator cover though it had water and mud in it and the flywheel looked like crap. I dont have a puller at the moment but when i cleaned everything up and put it back together it ran fine for a little while and then did it again,since i changed and cleaned all this at the same time im not sure where the problem is,i dont have a tester to check the stator,hope any of this makes since,im new to the R so any help would be appreciated.

HondaPohl
08-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I would pull the wheels and check for rust or corroison. If it had mud and water in, it could be screwin up contact.

89trx250r
08-02-2011, 08:42 PM
what about jetting when i hear it starts cutting out popping and backfiring it sounds leand especially cause everything is fine untill 3/4 throttle i could be way wrong.... but have you tried changing jets or maybe the air fuel screw or the clip on the needle?

tmatthews4
08-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
what about jetting when i hear it starts cutting out popping and backfiring it sounds leand especially cause everything is fine untill 3/4 throttle i could be way wrong.... but have you tried changing jets or maybe the air fuel screw or the clip on the needle? would it just go bad all at once if it was the jets?it ran like a raped ape until the other day but i did mess with the air screw and what do you mean by the clip on the needle?sorry but im an idiot with carbs,we run fuel injected ltr's and just picked up this 250 about six months ago,im not sure what carb is on this thing but it is not stock according to the manual.it has a black plastic spring loaded screw towards the top right that the manual does not refer too,also turning the choke knob does not adjust the idle like the manual says.the more i try to explain this the more stupid i sound(lol) this is a very nice piece that has alot of mods and what is getting me is i dont know what half of them are but it has ran flawless until now,thanks guys

DnB_racing
08-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by tmatthews4
would it just go bad all at once if it was the jets?it ran like a raped ape until the other day but i did mess with the air screw and what do you mean by the clip on the needle?sorry but im an idiot with carbs,we run fuel injected ltr's and just picked up this 250 about six months ago,im not sure what carb is on this thing but it is not stock according to the manual.it has a black plastic spring loaded screw towards the top right that the manual does not refer too,also turning the choke knob does not adjust the idle like the manual says.the more i try to explain this the more stupid i sound(lol) this is a very nice piece that has alot of mods and what is getting me is i dont know what half of them are but it has ran flawless until now,thanks guys did it run fine until you messed with air screw? or what that done after?

how many vent lines does the carb have?and are there any numbers on the body, it might be on the exhaust side of the carb, with the black idle adjustment screw, i would say you have a pwk carb, but without numbers cant tell the size

also one thing to check is compression to be sure your running enough octane

tmatthews4
08-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
did it run fine until you messed with air screw? or what that done after?

how many vent lines does the carb have?and are there any numbers on the body, it might be on the exhaust side of the carb, with the black idle adjustment screw, i would say you have a pwk carb, but without numbers cant tell the size

also one thing to check is compression to be sure your running enough octane it messed up before i touched the carb,there is only one vent hose coming off the side, it is a pwk with a 72 ra4 nig stamped on the side,we run 110 sunoco like the previous owner ran,like i said before it ran perfect with no issues at all and just like you fliped a switch it runs like crap,thanks for the help

265 sleeper
08-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Make sure the pick up on the out side of the flywheel is clean take some sand paper and lightly sand it make sure nothing is on the pulse generator pickup . If that don't help just break down and get the flywheel puller 15 bucks is not alot .

tmatthews4
08-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
Make sure the pick up on the out side of the flywheel is clean take some sand paper and lightly sand it make sure nothing is on the pulse generator pickup . If that don't help just break down and get the flywheel puller 15 bucks is not alot . cleaned those areas allready and i have a puller on order,we got another race tomorrow night but the puller won't be here by then.

265 sleeper
08-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Did you put gas in then it started to run bad ? I've heard of people saying the previous owner run ? Gas and they buy that gas and then bike ran bad after.

tmatthews4
08-04-2011, 02:16 PM
been runing the same brand of gas ever since we bought it and no i dident just put gas in before it messed up,really dont think it is the gas but who knows.