PDA

View Full Version : Best width for mx

KFX-ROD
08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Waht is the best width for the mx
front and rear.

Kovatch
08-02-2011, 08:32 AM
50" front & rear. Most extended a-arm setups will put you in the 49-49.5" range. As the travel changes so does your width; hence why they keep you a little inside of 50".

Same goes for the adjustable axles. You don't want to be too wide (>50") as that may result in a DQ.

chronicsmoke
08-02-2011, 10:49 AM
A little bit wider in the front to reduce the front end push in corners.

front =48-50"
rear= a tad bit less than the front

KFX-ROD
08-02-2011, 07:06 PM
1/4 as wide at the back is good?

BlaineKaiser450
08-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I was always 50 exactly in front and 49.5 in the rear and my quads were some of the best handling at the track

SpasticR450
08-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Wider you are the faster you can take turns. But the wider you are the less traction you will get. And screw the 50" rule ppl need to stop going by that 50 and under inch rule that's only for the nationals.

But never have rear wider than front that will make you clip other peoples tires or trees/rocks.

imo my quads always handle better with the front wider than the rear.

KFX-ROD
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Thank you.:)

trailrider894
08-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
Wider you are the faster you can take turns. But the wider you are the less traction you will get. And screw the 50" rule ppl need to stop going by that 50 and under inch rule that's only for the nationals.

But never have rear wider than front that will make you clip other peoples tires or trees/rocks.

imo my quads always handle better with the front wider than the rear.

Hmmm... pretty weird that they measured all the guys here in Missouri the last time i raced??? Its obvious when a quad is questionable in its width... they will measure you and DQ you if you are too wide. Wider isn't always better, I can tell you that tires make ALL THE DIFFERENCE, I raced against guys with +3's and 3:1 offset wheels, and i have Stock wheels and +2's and i was hanging on right with them with now issues at all. The quad is only as fast and as good at handling as the tires are... Tires are in my opinion the MOST IMPORTANT thing in MX, but everybody is obsessed with Engine mods and suspension stuff...

reconmaster
08-28-2011, 11:54 AM
like people have mentioned max of 50 inches. my quad is 49 inches wide in the front and a tad narrower in the rear and it defintly handles and steers well.. also having proper tire pressure ie 10-12 psi..having proper caster and camber is good (still working on mine but it seems to be fine for now) plus having proper toe-in/toe-out helps...i agree tires defintly make a big difference but you defintly need suspension and traction before you worry about making power