PDA

View Full Version : Help the newbie: stripped camshaft sprocket bolts

BeefySTi
08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
So my buddy's 2004 400ex was throwing some wicked smoke, so we thought the rings were blown. took it all apart and come to find out the piston ring gaps were all lined up, instead of being 120 degrees apart, allowing oil into the combustion chamber. so we adjusted the rings, ordered new gaskets. Gaskets came in today and we start putting everything back together. everything goes great until we get to the cam sprocket bolts. he set the torque wrench to 15 ft-lbs and goes to town. we both think that it seems WAY tight for that amount of torque and sure enough, strips out one of the bolts and the flange the sprocket sits on. not sure what the deal was, maybe the torque wrench is out of spec. anyway, what options do we have? it is a hot cam, not sure what stage, as it was put in before he bought it about 3 or 4 years ago. all it says is hot cams. do we use helicoils and put in a new bolt? tap it out to the next size up? contact hot cams and see if they can put a new flange on it? any help would be great... otherwise we are screwed. he really doesnt have the money to buy a new cam. he does have the stock cam, should we put that back in?

CJM
08-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Id be wary of trying to fix it really. Not something that can be fixed. might want to contact hotcams and see what they say-but I see using the old cam or buying a cam in your future.

Post what numbers are on the cam-we can tell you what stage it is.

Ive had the EX engine apart at least 20x by now-I NEVER use a torque wrench on those bolts. Instead I blue loctite and snug them up well with a 3/8 ratchet and my hex head sockets. Always works and never had an issue. BTW ITS VERY CRITICAL that when you put the rocker cover on you DO NOT over torque those bolts. Take a 1/4 drive ratchet and snug them up by HAND. Choke up on the ratchet so your only using the very head of it. Those bolts only need 6 foot-pounds!

DnB_racing
08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
first I have to ask what type of torque wrench and what range is the wrench, if it a cheap one i never trust anything below 30 foot pounds, for anything low I always use a wrench rated in inch pounds, and at least a craftsman, but I prefer snap on, or mac

dxcody
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
isnt that flange just pressed on? I would say so because you can buy just that piece for a stock one.. A stock one should fit on a hotcam i would think. I dont know but i know you can replace it on a stock one.

If you find out you can use a stock flange as a replacement let me know and i have a stock cam you can have. Have it pressed off the stock cam and pressed on your hotcam if you can confirm that it works.

BeefySTi
08-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
first I have to ask what type of torque wrench and what range is the wrench, if it a cheap one i never trust anything below 30 foot pounds, for anything low I always use a wrench rated in inch pounds, and at least a craftsman, but I prefer snap on, or mac

First off that is besides the point because it doesn't help us in the situation we are in. But if you really must know, it was a snap-on.

DnB_racing
08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by BeefySTi
First off that is besides the point because it doesn't help us in the situation we are in. But if you really must know, it was a snap-on. ok no problem! if you not interested in my knowledge then I wont respond to any thing that I might feel relevant, just trying to help so it doesnt happen again, but never mind

if you plan on doing the press on im sure you know how to degree a cam and crank.. so you dont need me!!

BeefySTi
08-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
isnt that flange just pressed on? I would say so because you can buy just that piece for a stock one.. A stock one should fit on a hotcam i would think. I dont know but i know you can replace it on a stock one.

If you find out you can use a stock flange as a replacement let me know and i have a stock cam you can have. Have it pressed off the stock cam and pressed on your hotcam if you can confirm that it works.

Yeah, it is just pressed on. Not sure I have access to a press tho. I will maybe have to go buy one, been looking to get one anyway. I appeciate the offer for the cam, but I am pretty sure he has the stocker. I will have to confirm that with him. If so, I could see about getting it pressed on. If he doesn't I will definitely pm you. Thanks.

BeefySTi
08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
ok no problem! if you not interested in my knowledge then I wont respond to any thing that I might feel relevant, just trying to help so it doesnt happen again, but never mind

Dude, chill out, I wasn't trying to be a dick. But in reality it doesn't help me in my current situation. I have been around forums long enough to get a sense of when I am about to be flamed, and I thought that is where you were heading. My bad. I appreciate you looking out for when when give this another go tho.

DnB_racing
08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by BeefySTi
Dude, chill out, I wasn't trying to be a dick. But in reality it doesn't help me in my current situation. I have been around forums long enough to get a sense of when I am about to be flamed, and I thought that is where you were heading. My bad. I appreciate you looking out for when when give this another go tho. I dont flame I do my best to help

BeefySTi
08-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I dont flame I do my best to help

Well, once again, I apologise. That unfortunately has been my experience in a lot of forums. Can't ask anything without getting flamed off the boards. We all gotta learn somehow. But anyway, I do appreciate all constructive input. He just wants to cram it with thread locker and leave it, much to my horror. I want to do it right because I don't want his quad to blow up on the first ride miles into the woods...

DnB_racing
08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
you wont get much flaming from this sub forum, or the 250r sub, the 450r isn't to bad either... but no guarantee in the open forum

but back on topic...

if you plan on pressing the hub on you wont have to many tries before it will not hold properly and move slightly,

and you will have to degree the cam to the crank, and get it almost exact first try, if you have to remove it and reinstall it I would be cautious of possible movement... after looking at the hot cams im not so sure about the fit, if they are the same???

its been a while since i had a 400ex hot cam, but I dont believe they have a grooved flange like the stockers.. maybe some that's changed one recently will be able to tell you better

MisterGraphic
08-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Happened to me last winter, Hotcam won't repair it or send a replacement flange.
They say the tolerances are to tight and they don't want to risk damaging something else.
I went to a machine shop and they said there was not enough "meat" to drill/re-tap to the next size.
With something so touchy I wouldn't risk just using Lock-tite in stripped threads...
A new hot cam is not that expensive and could save a lot of trouble long term.

I'll take a look at the flanges from the stock and hotcam, maybe you could replace it with the stocker.
If you really want to try that, I'd just bring it to a machine shop with proper press and tools. (would be about 40$ to do)

dxcody
08-02-2011, 11:10 AM
yea ^^^ i cant remember on mine if that part is even pressed on on the hotcam or if it is just all one peice.