PDA

View Full Version : new tundras?

Jigsaw
08-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Getting a new truck soon and am very interested in a new tundra with the rock grabber package. Just trying to see if anyone has one or knows of anyone that has one and if they like it? I'm a ford guy and would love to get a ecoboost but the prices the tundras are going for got me looking real hard at them. Plus as great as a ecoboost is I kinda want a v8 still.

Thanks

Quad18star
08-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I have an 07 and let me tell you, its hard on gas. A guy I work with has an ecoboost and he's getting 32 mpg. At best after installing duals I'm getting 17.

chucked
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
An ecoboost in an f150? It does not get 32 mpg, ask him to let you see the thing on the dash and take a pic of it and let me see, because that is not right.

CJM
08-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Im a toyota fan, they just aint worth it. Id rather buy a super duty or F150. Much better value for the money.

The right gears are needed in a truck, 3.55 and higher with a V8. I personally like 3.73 or 4.10. MPG suffers a bit but it will tow like no tomorrow

Jigsaw
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I have an 07 and let me tell you, its hard on gas. A guy I work with has an ecoboost and he's getting 32 mpg. At best after installing duals I'm getting 17.

How do you like it? I'm coming from a 09 f250 with the 5.4 and am getting 8-12mpg.

Id like to get a ecoboost but they are probably going for 5+grand more than I can get a tundra for.

chucked
08-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I have a '11 f150 with the 3.7 v6, I average 17 in the summer, over the winter dash was displaying 20.? That's mostly highway driving with the cruise on 60-65 on relatively flat ground. Plenty of power for towing my 14' enclosed trailer, but I am a bottom line sort of person, I think my truck has 3 options, stx package, towing package and the shift buttons on the shift lever. A friend has a '11 f150 with the 5.0, I looked at his dash the other day and I think it was 13.? but I know he drives with a heavy foot, its also a crew cab and 4x4. I love mine, and out of the 4 new trucks I've bought over the past few years this is the first time where if I thought if I could go back I would buy the same one again. I've had all chevy's before, the Ford was the best value imo. I test drove a toyota, nissan and dodge the last time around. I love that 3.7 v6, such a little motor and such good power.

250r rider 88
08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
if you can hold off a couple years you have about an 85% chance (if toyota goes through with it) of having a diesel tundra getting high 20s highway, that is all i can honestly say about it because frankly thats all i know, and the diesel is made in indiana

also nissan is getting it in the titan around the same time frame if not sooner

250x_kyle
08-01-2011, 09:33 PM
my cousin just picked one up switched from a ford f250. hes getting roughly 15 to 16 mpg. drove it for about two hours today. work truck broke down so we used his personal truck. ride like a dream and seem to have good power. never really was a toyota fan but after driving it today if im in the market for a gas powerd truck by the end of the year it will be an option.

slightlybent47
08-02-2011, 02:01 AM
For me it would come down to what I intended on using it for. I had an 05 Tundra 4x4 and it ran real strong and was great in the mud. But it is a little light for towing trailers. Though it had plenty of power the truck didn’t weight enough to stop a heavy trailer very well. There was not one single grease fitting on the whole truck and you can’t add transmission fluid to it because it all sealed. And the other thing I didn’t like about it is the spring’s bottom out even under medium load. But for a general truck it was pretty good but it didn’t get any better millage then my Chevy.

Even though I don’t care for Dodge and I haven’t tried one I here they are great for towing and hard pulling but are not very good on millage.

I haven’t tried a ford in a long time so I cant say about them.

Jigsaw
08-02-2011, 10:25 AM
If I go with a diesel it'll be either a chevy or ford. I really don't have a use for a diesel anyways and don't wanna spend the extra money on one. ill be using it for hauling my quad, home depot trips, and some offroading. I kinda want to try something different so I've been looking at the tundras. I want an ecoboost bad but like I said I know ford is strict with the warranty on the ecoboost and I want to throw a lift on it who knows if it will void it or not? I'm gonna test drive the tundra, ecoboost, and raptor if they have one and see what happens. How about tfhe new 5.0s? How do they stack up power rise against the other trucks?

slightlybent47
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
One thing you should consider about the diesel is the availability of fuel. I use diesel in my tractor and I drove a Mack for 20+ years and the one most annoying thing was finding fuel. In some places most gas stations only carry the three gas types and no diesel.
I have literally ran out of fuel looking for fuel. And in most cases it is more expensive as well. But with a extra fuel tank in the bed you can go a long way.

johnnyquad17
08-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I have a 07 Tundra and love it. Tows very well rides great and is ok on gas but what do you expect for a large truck and a 5.7 v8.

Jigsaw
08-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by johnnyquad17
I have a 07 Tundra and love it. Tows very well rides great and is ok on gas but what do you expect for a large truck and a 5.7 v8.

Any major issues with it? I seen bed wobble is horrible on it but I can live with that.

johnnyquad17
08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
No issues with over 62K on it. I did lift it and add some 33 MT on it. Great truck!

Quad18star
08-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I like the space I have in the truck since I have the crewmax but the ride is a little stiff (I have a leveling kit which didn't help) but other trucks on the market are a smoother ride. I like the power and the towing capacity , but I lost a bit of torque after adding my mbrp duals.

As far as issues , mine has had a few. Under warranty the front differential was replaced and the waterpump gasket leaked. I had the recalls on the pedals like everyone else. Parts are expensive .... Brakes and rotors are 800 all the way around.

Recently I had to replace the air induction pump which cost 1500 dollars which was not covered. ... I got lucky since there are more . Most peope have to replace all of them which cost about 4500.

Other than that itks an alright truck.

tt racer
08-02-2011, 11:03 PM
I have an 05 4x4 limited crew and luv it. Its my 2nd Tundra and it rides like a caddy! I like the 07 and up ones also but this truck is pimpin im tellin ya! I had 168,00 on my 02 with no probs at all thats why i got another one...highly recommened the Tundra! By the way i raced a Dodge ram an 02 and waxed it bad im serious dont let the 4.7 fool ya it can haul *****!:devil: