PDA

View Full Version : honda accord cv boot ripped :(

backwoodsracer
08-01-2011, 02:36 PM
okay my front right cv boot ripped. and ive been driving it :0 i need to know how much it should cost to have this replaced or is it safe to do it my self, im no mechanic but im pretty good with a wrench.

CJM
08-01-2011, 02:55 PM
If you never replaced one yourself and dont have the proper tools dont do it.

Approx 300-400 bucks to fix, depends on the year and the shop tho. The axle itself is about 100-200 bucks.

HondaPohl
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Pump some grease in it and wrap it with duct tape till you can have it done.

backwoodsracer
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If you never replaced one yourself and dont have the proper tools dont do it.

Approx 300-400 bucks to fix, depends on the year and the shop tho. The axle itself is about 100-200 bucks. i just need the boot replaced nothing else is damaged yet :/

CJM
08-01-2011, 04:07 PM
If you can find someone to just boot a boot on, 300 bucks. Most dont put boots on, you get a whole reman or new axle.

To put the boots on takes even longer than changing an entire axle. Remove axle, remove old-put on new bootsl ,load with grease, takes 2-3 hours a side approx on most cars.

VS maybe 2 hours for an entire new/reman cv axle.

backwoodsracer
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by CJM
If you can find someone to just boot a boot on, 100 bucks. Most dont put boots on, you get a whole reman axle. :( oh boy

CJM
08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Exactly. I edited the other post to explain why.

I mean maybe, 100 bucks and someones nice. But I doubt it. This isnt exactly a simple job, most cars its a good bit of work.

If the boots not to bad pump it full of grease, then clean it off REALLY good with some brake cleen. Apply some black RTV silicone to it-hope it holds.

backwoodsracer
08-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Exactly. I edited the other post to explain why.

I mean maybe, 100 bucks and someones nice. But I doubt it. This isnt exactly a simple job, most cars its a good bit of work.

If the boots not to bad pump it full of grease, then clean it off REALLY good with some brake cleen. Apply some black RTV silicone to it-hope it holds. its pretty bad half of the boot. i really appreciate all the help sounds like ill be going to the junk yard.

CJM
08-01-2011, 04:52 PM
If you can get the mechanic to put one in from the junkyard it might be worth it. Doing it yourself isnt to bad, but you gotta have some kinda manual if you havent done it before and you might need to get some tools.

Look online too, www.rockauto.com is where I get alot of parts from, they are super reasonable in pricing!

chucked
08-01-2011, 06:46 PM
You can buy universal split boots for $20 or so that doesnt require taking the axle off. Just cut the old one off

CJM
08-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by chucked
You can buy universal split boots for $20 or so that doesnt require taking the axle off. Just cut the old one off

Those and some hose clamps will do the job, but its the cheap way out. I believe in fixing things the right way once if I can.

chucked
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I had one on my old neon for a few years, drove it 60 miles a day for 2 years or so. But, your right, I wouldn't do it again. Mainly because I know how to do it now, and I don't think it will take as long as everyone is saying, I'd bet 45 minutes MAX if you have all the tools. Probably 20 minutes or less if I did it, but I did stuff like that every day for 7 years.

CJM
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
^ Thats the key, you gotta know how to do the job and PRAY something doesnt go wrong.

Cant tell you how many times an hour job turned into 4 b/c of complications.

chucked
08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Yea, glad I was hourly, whenever I do side work I always have a best and worse case scenario price. I've done pretty good with cv axles, joints, boots and such,

backwoodsracer
08-01-2011, 08:49 PM
just had a buddy tell me about the universal spilt boot, i reckon im gonna get it a buddy of mine knows how to do it and hes got the tools. no more offroading in the accord any more:/ haha i nearly totaled it a few months back and ive been abusing it latley :( haha i put Z71 stickers on it as a joke. but im taking them off shes not going to see mud anymore! thanks for all the help yall!

backwoodsracer
08-01-2011, 08:49 PM
just had a buddy tell me about the universal spilt boot, i reckon im gonna get it a buddy of mine knows how to do it and hes got the tools. no more offroading in the accord any more:/ haha i nearly totaled it a few months back and ive been abusing it latley :( haha i put Z71 stickers on it as a joke. but im taking them off shes not going to see mud anymore! thanks for all the help yall!

Kickstarts-suck
08-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Save the money and do it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbVQ1dk6is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-ofMoWsr0

destey
08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Split boot will work for a little while. Odds are if its cracked you probably didn't find it right away. So it squirted out the grease, and wore itself enough to warrant changing.

I've only done them in my subaru, but it involves removing the brake caliper, stay and rotor. Then you use a punch to remove where they staked in the axle nut. Then (what I do) is use a 3/4" impact gun to remove the large axle nut. Then a sledge hammer on the knuckle to break the axle loose. Then punch the pin out on the transmission end of the axle, and the axle comes right out.