PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing new wheels

86Rrider
08-01-2011, 11:18 AM
OK, I believe this subject has been covered on this forum somewhere, but searching netted a wide variety of things, but none the answer I am looking for....

I am hung-up on the look of my '86 R with the gold wheels. However, my riding trips are starting to include a lot more rocks and deep ruts that are starting to remove my rear tires from their bead. So, bead locks are in order. But, I want the bead locks to be gold like the original wheels!

With the vast knowledge of the diverse group on this site, can anyone point me at this information or tell me the answer:

If I purchase a new set of polished bead-locks (I don't know yet- ITP's or Douglas) and I have access to be able to get them anodized, what is the proper method for this? Will the anodize "take" to the polished aliminum wheel? Does the wheel need to be scuffed first?

I know that I need to know what aluminum alloy the wheels are and if they have been heat-treated or hardened in any way, but before I purchase, I'm wanting to know if this is even possible or not.

Thanks in advance for any answers that can be offered!

racerx573
08-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I am pretty sure Douglas/DWT sell anodized gold, or you could always get them powdercoated.

J.B.
08-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Troybilt found a gold powder i thought that replicates the look of gold anodizing. Hit him up.

pmg8134
08-03-2011, 08:18 AM
look around in the 250r section those guys have the factory gold dialed in for paint and powder.

troybilt
08-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I actually found a powder that was called Gold Annodized Powder, unfortunate we tried everything to make that work to know avail... We even tried coating it over chrome powder and it still turned out like crap-olla. I'd hit Pappy up and see what his thoughts were. The powders I've seen that were gold, seem to be dark of a gold, compared to OEM... I'd love to find a bright gold powder, cuz I've got a slew of parts that I'd run that color...

86Rrider
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, but what I am after is info on how to go about annodizing a set of new wheels. I have access to the annodizing process (nephew works at a metal finish shop) I am just looking for info on the "prep" of the wheels or is it even possible to annodize a new set of wheels "off-the-shelf"?

I've seen on here that pappy is a very well known powder coater. Does he have annodizing experience as well?

troybilt
08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Anything aluminum can be annodized. I'd ask your nephew for prep proceedures...

250Renvy
08-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Google search:
preparing aluminum for anodizing, yields lots of info.

86Rrider
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Gee why did I not think of that! Google! Thanks 250Renvy!

Troybilt- the reson I'm asking is because the nephew is just the guy that sticks the parts on the racks and pushes the start button. He said that if I can provide him the needed info, he would get the wheels done for me.

I'll google search more and see what I come up with.

hawaiiysr
08-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Have you checked out OMF?

86Rrider
08-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Yes I did look at OMF, but their prices scared me off. However, after looking a most all of the beadlock options out there, I went ahead and e-mailed OMF asking about the gold anodizing and cost. I know OMF has been around a long time and I think they were one of the first companys to make beadlock rings for ATV's years back.

dtowndiesel
08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 86Rrider
Yes I did look at OMF, but their prices scared me off. However, after looking a most all of the beadlock options out there, I went ahead and e-mailed OMF asking about the gold anodizing and cost. I know OMF has been around a long time and I think they were one of the first companys to make beadlock rings for ATV's years back.

I just bought a full set of OMF's super lite beadlocks and they are everything I expected and more, you get what you pay for and I would highly reccomend them. However they do not offer anodizing, only powdercoating. I plan on having my beadlock rings and hub mounting plates anodized locally.