PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Guard or skidplate?

05DodgeDakota
08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Now down here it FL we don't have any rocks so skidplates aren't a necessity, in fact I have found that the stock plastic one on the swingarm tends to cause more hangups than if it weren't there. I just removed it for the time being. I would prefer just a sprocket guard and maybe a rotor guard. Who makes one for the 400ex? Otherwise I was thinking about going with a minimum coverage (and more afforadable) one like what GT Thunder makes. I guess the question there is who's swingarm skidplate has the best clearance while still giving good protection...

quad2xtreme
08-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Lonestar makes a stainless steel sprocket guard. It is just on the outside. I've been running one for years in rocky terrain of WV and Kentucky without much issue.

Quite frankly, the only issue I have had (twice) is hitting a rock right where Lonestar cuts out their symbol. It mashes that area in. Wish they'd stop doing that and just leave it solid.

05DodgeDakota
08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
LSR only lists them for use with the 450, not the 400

quad2xtreme
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
They are the same. The only thing you can't get is the rotor guard from them. The mounts on the 400ex and 450r swingarm are different. You would have to modify some other rotor guard.

I swithced to a 2005 450r swingarm to get around this issue. I wanted to use the LSR rotor guard and the brake system from a 450r. The rear caliper is superior on a 450r, the brake pads are thicker, the rotor is smaller thus allowing the skidplate to be up a bit higher. Best to use a 450r carrier too but you don't have too.

You could get a 2006 swingarm too. It will add about 3/4" in length and your chain will need to be longer.

dxcody
08-01-2011, 01:42 PM
if you get the sprocket guard i would just get the one sided one tho because there has been a lot of people saying sticks get caught up and derail the chain.

05DodgeDakota
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
that makes sence

thecoon
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
blingstar makes both for the 400 search it on ebay :p

05DodgeDakota
09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Well while riding monday my chain was alittle loose and without the skidplate on there a small branch was able to derail my chain. I'm still looking at skidplates. I like the Pro Armor one, anybody got a pic of one installed?

Stickman400
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I'll snap a couple pics of mine and post it if someone else doesn't do it before me.

CJM
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
No pics of my proarmor swingarm skid, but I can tell you its built VERY good. I went to PA and rode in ROCKS and it beat the skid a little and dented it slightly but it didnt deform overall and besides the gashes from the rocks it did its job quite well.

Thumpin440ex
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I am running a pro armor skid as well.. VERY hefty, nice piece... Also a full frame skid

John

Stickman400
09-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Well here ya go. Sorry about the slight darkness of it, I didn't remember until it was getting dark. Mine is bent up on the corners by the sprocket and brake because of rocks and hard hits, I just spaced it out with some washers and it is all good. BTW it's the .250 model (1/4").

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0223.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0226.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0227.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0228.jpg

quad2xtreme
09-07-2011, 08:34 PM
my new favorite is the rotor guard from Blingstar. I was skeptical about it but it worked out great in some really rocky trails at Black Mountain in Kentucky. We hit rocks at full speed that have bent every aluminum skidplate up...I've had them all. The stainless steel Lonestar held up to the abuse but so did the Blingstar unit. I really thought it would bust of possible break the carrier. No issues though.

powerbomb400
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Did you have any problems with rocks hitting the linkage? I use the Pro Armor skid and have been toally pleased.

quad2xtreme
09-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
Did you have any problems with rocks hitting the linkage? I use the Pro Armor skid and have been toally pleased.

I've been pounding on a Lonestar linkage for 4+ years and haven't worn it out yet. I don't run any lower a-arm protection either and have never had an issue with that either. I can't say I am careful at all...once I start going up a rocky climb, I often can't control the line I take so hitting whatever is in the way is just part of the game of keeping the momentum up.

400man
09-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
my new favorite is the rotor guard from Blingstar. I was skeptical about it but it worked out great in some really rocky trails at Black Mountain in Kentucky. We hit rocks at full speed that have bent every aluminum skidplate up...I've had them all. The stainless steel Lonestar held up to the abuse but so did the Blingstar unit. I really thought it would bust of possible break the carrier. No issues though.

can you post some pics of your setup? id be interested to see the rotor guard.

05DodgeDakota
09-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the pic. And I didn't know they made both a 1/4 thick one and a thinner one. I'll have to be careful to order the right one. Does anyone every feel like they would not have gotten high centered on a rut if they had not had skidplate and a just a sprocket guard instead?

quad2xtreme
09-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
Thanks for the pic. And I didn't know they made both a 1/4 thick one and a thinner one. I'll have to be careful to order the right one. Does anyone every feel like they would not have gotten high centered on a rut if they had not had skidplate and a just a sprocket guard instead?

You definitely have more clearance with just the sprocket guard.

I will be pulling my quads out from the trailer and promise to post pics tomorrow.

Stickman400
09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll deff. be getting sprocket and rotor guards in the future when I get my rear shock re-worked and a GT Thunder linkage. I'm wonderin if I hit something hard enough would it snap those little tabs off of the swingarm that stick out for the skid plate. Or do you just chop them off.

quad2xtreme
09-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I'll deff. be getting sprocket and rotor guards in the future when I get my rear shock re-worked and a GT Thunder linkage. I'm wonderin if I hit something hard enough would it snap those little tabs off of the swingarm that stick out for the skid plate. Or do you just chop them off.

I just seat a bolt into them. The bolt head gets boogered but that is it.

quad2xtreme
09-11-2011, 03:58 PM
pic of a 450r swinger on a 400ex...the reason I made the switch was to use this setup along with the 450r brakes which are much better. The 450r brake rotor is smaller too so you get more clearance. That is UHMW squeezed under the stainless steel rotor guard. You heat it in the oven to 400 degrees for about 20 minutes making it turn completely clear. Then you put it on the quad and hurry up and bolt down the rotor guard to squeeze it down. It really provides added support to alleviate bending even the stainless steel rotor guard.

quad2xtreme
09-11-2011, 04:18 PM
This is the Blingstar one mounted up. Note this swinger has no option for mounting the Lonestar stainless steel rotor guard. This is a full long travel mx swinger that is similar to Walsh and JB...but with reduced weight for XC. The Blingstar is the only available option right now for rotor guard protection. I have to admit I am not as impressed as I posted earlier. It suffered a little more wear than I originally thought. It has 6 hours of riding on it at this point. This unit is available for both the 450r and the 400ex. If the Blingstar doesn't hold up over time, I will have the rotor guard mounts added to this swinger...it was an option at the time.

quad2xtreme
09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
the linkage took almost no abuse from the same 6 hours of riding.

quad2xtreme
09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
side view of the Blingstar. Although the Blingstar rests lower than the rotor, it does not sit directly under it...it is off to the left side of the rotor a bit.

quad2xtreme
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
A side view of the Lonestar mounted on the 450r swinger. I really wish they made this for the 400ex swinger too.

400man
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the great pics. Now as for the blingstar rotor guard, would you recommend it over a skid plate style of rotor guard, or is it better? ive heard a few people say that if you hit something hard enough that it will bust the axle carrier where its mounted on at. ive got the 450r rear brake setup on mine right now with a lonestar sprocket guard and a "custom" gt thunder 450r skidplate/rotor guard. its been tough as nails for me for a a good while now, but I really like the looks of the blingstar rotor guard. heres a pic of the bottom side of my setup, i'll try and get some better pics here soon.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400exbeadlocks007.jpg

quad2xtreme
09-12-2011, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by 400man
Thanks for the great pics. Now as for the blingstar rotor guard, would you recommend it over a skid plate style of rotor guard, or is it better? ive heard a few people say that if you hit something hard enough that it will bust the axle carrier where its mounted on at.

I too have wondered about cracking the carrier with this setup. I am hoping that due to the tight fit between between the carrier and this piece and the fact it is round that it will be strong enough. More time will tell...and some winter months.

I am more concerned with the Blingstar wearing down from going over rock after rock (acting like course sandpaper on it). If it just had a nice piece of steel running along the bottom of it.

At this point, my recommendation would be the Lonestar stainless steel rotor guard (and you must have have a 450r swinger to mount it.).