PDA

View Full Version : cobra brakes

edwardsp&b
08-01-2011, 10:18 AM
What in the heck are you guys using as far as brake systems go? Ive got this magura/cobra front brake system and I cant get the **** to stay working. Ive been fighting this issue for some time and now im ready to switch to another front system. whats the easiest to cross over? trx450? 400ex? what are others using?
Thanks bryan

chunky0071
08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
What size of banjo bolt s on the calipers? Could you just change the lines and master cylinder?

fastrnrik
08-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Do you have the Magura mountain bike setup? The plastic master cylinder & lever deal with the quarter sized brake pads LOL? I think the calipers are called Magura "julie". I have that style on our '06 Cobra 50. They are more for looks than anything cuz they don't stop shi.t LOL. Heath told me there was an upgrade kit to the newer style brakes and if I recall it was like 700 for the kit, which seems "slightly" pricey to me (gotta love Cobra parts). I asked about switching frontends to something like a JB setup that use the Honda spindles/brakes to have better brakes AND eliminate the spherical bearings that everyone says are so bad. I was told on the smaller bikes (50's) with smaller riders the frontend change made the bikes front heavy and not fly right. I dunno how true that is. We don't ride our Cobra much, it just sits mostly so I haven't really looked too much further into it.
I did google that Magura "BIG" model master cylinder because I need one too, and found it for like 60 bucks on a mountain bike website which was like half of getting it from Cobra. I also upgraded to the bada.ss extreme duty brake pads and it didn't help much, if any. Let me know if you find a reasonable upgrade. Heck anything would be an improvement.

Ryko racing
08-04-2011, 06:56 AM
If you have the upgraded Magura brakes with the braided lines you can install bleeder valves at the caliper and bleed them with a turkey baster backwards from the calipers to the master cylinder then take a die grinder and cut the tip off the bleeder valves for clearance.

good luck.

edwardsp&b
08-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry for the delayed response...... It is the crappy magura mountain bike setup. It has the small banjo bolt, and plastic lines. It does have a bleeder and I can get them to work, it just wont last overnight. The next day it has lost its prime. This is a sorry excuse for a brake system..... Ive tried everything, and Im to the point now that I want to change it out. My question is what system should I rob? Honda trx450, 400ex? Yfz? Newer cobra system? Im sure that others have run into this before. Thanks for the help

Also I am using the Jb front end that doesnt have the spherical bearings, it is a traditional ball joint front end.
Bryan

nastynotchback1
08-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Bryan,

If it will help you i have a set of spindles and the full front brake system off of a Polaris 500.I have not tried it but it appears that it will work on these mini's.I also have the spindles and hubs with rotors from a 400ex.Probably got the 400ex master cyl also.Give me a call if your interested in any of it.