PDA

View Full Version : Linkage Question

Stickman400
07-31-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm looking at getting a GT Thunder rear linkage. There is an XC version and an MX version. What would the difference be? Ride height and shock travel?

CJM
07-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Yes ride height and shock travel according to GTT. The mx link is designed for 18" rear tires and will of course lower the quad to a degree. The XC lowers it a bit too but is designed for 20-22" tires.

Both require either the GTT skidplate they sell or you cut your skid up to accommodate the linkage travel.

Its something I have wanted to do for awhile-cause once done it removes the stupid bucking you get going over woops. Course an extended swingarm would work the same, but its $$$$ Least 500.

Stickman400
07-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Okay. Well looking at their skid it looks like I just need to chop the section off under the linkakge, but I really don't feel like chopping up my $130 Pro Armor skid. I'll probably just grab their skid, it's only $60. Thanks!

dxcody
07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
dont you need a rebuilt or afermarket shock for that linkage to work?

Idk im just wonderin. I know if you get a rebuilt shock you HAVE to get the GT Thunder xc linkage because my buddy looked into it.

Stickman400
07-31-2011, 09:21 PM
I thought you could use it either way, but you could be right, I never thought of that. I'm screwed if that's the case.:(

CJM
07-31-2011, 10:03 PM
They can rebuild your shock to work if I recall. If oyu dont use a reworked shock Im pretty sure it doesnt work right.

tri5ron
07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
I know if you get a rebuilt shock you HAVE to get the GT Thunder xc linkage
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Emoticons%20and%20funny%20pics/smileyvault-wtf.gif The above statement, is absolutely incorrect.

It is amazing, and sad, at just how much misinformation is being tossed around of the forum lately.

thebig450es
07-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Emoticons%20and%20funny%20pics/smileyvault-wtf.gif The above statement, is absolutely incorrect.

It is amazing, and sad, at just how much misinformation is being tossed around of the forum lately.

Can we get a like button lol very true tri5ron

dustin_j
08-01-2011, 07:49 AM
I think dxcody was trying to say GT Thunder won't revalve a stock shock for a stock link, some other companies will, but their price is similar to GTT's with the link. However, I agree with GT Thunder that the stock Honda linkages are way too progressive (and thus a disadvantage), so I prefer to run their/aftermarket linkages over stock, and respring and revalve to match.

The MX and XC links both deliver about 10.5" of wheel travel with a stock rear shock (lengths unchanged). The difference is for which tire size you are going to use. Both linkages are designed to have the frame 12" off the ground when the shocks are extended, and 1.5" off the ground when they are completely bottomed out. Therefore, the xc link puts the swingarm travel higher in the subframe, if that makes sense? The linkages both correct the progression of the rear suspension. I am trying to sell a new mx link and re-worked stock shock in the for sale section; shoot me a pm if you're interested. How much do you weigh?

dxcody
08-01-2011, 01:32 PM
thats what gt thunder told him ron

thebig450es
08-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I have a stock rear with the xc link and it works great, but i think a gt thunder rebulid of the shock will make it better

dxcody
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Gt thunder told him if they rebuild the shock, he has to choose either a XC link or MX link and they said he has to get one of their links.

No need get everyone all worked up over what i said, but i am telling you if you call GT thunder and ask them for a XC link they will ask if you have the rebuilt shock shock to go with it.

tri5ron
08-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
Gt thunder told him if they rebuild the shock, he has to choose either a XC link or MX link and they said he has to get one of their links.

No need get everyone all worked up over what i said, but i am telling you if you call GT thunder and ask them for a XC link they will ask if you have the rebuilt shock shock to go with it. No one is getting worked up,
just seeing a repetitive need, to clarify your less than accurate statements, for some newer or less experienced members, who might not know any better.

Stickman400
08-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
I am trying to sell a new mx link and re-worked stock shock in the for sale section; shoot me a pm if you're interested. How much do you weigh? I got 20" tires, so I'm gunna need an XC link. Sorry.

dxcody
08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Ok so what i said and what i meant are two different things. I understand that what i said was misleading.

What i meant was if you get a rebuilt shock (from GTT) they make you get the XC or MX link. And they build it to that link.

I didnt mean for it to come out like i was saying that any rebuilt shock needs a link, i was just saying that GT thunder wont build a shock to fit your stock link as far as i know because like i said my buddy looked into it.

chronicsmoke
08-02-2011, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I got 20" tires, so I'm gunna need an XC link. Sorry.

If you plan on running 18" tires, even occaisionally, you'll benefit more from the MX link. You can still run 20"-22" tires with it, it just raises you ride height a bit.

If you choose to run 18" tires with the XC link (even just once and a while, or down the road) your frame will bottom out.

If you never plan on running 18's, get the XC link.. just something to think about..

Stickman400
08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Yea, I NEVER plan on buying 18's. If anything I'm gonna go back to 22's because I like the extra bit of ground clearance for really rutted trails.