PDA

View Full Version : Home/Garage security?

witech
07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
It looks like my neighborhood is becoming more and more infested with "hoods" . We removed the fence in the back yard so equiptment could get in to remove a tree and within 2 days my wifes bicycle disappeared. A couple of girls moved into the house behind ours and they have an unbelievable number of baby daddies with dozens or their "hood' buddies hanging out on the porch during the weekday so I assume none of them have jobs and get their money from other means. It makes it difficult to drive in the garage when there a wandering eyes getting a full view of my fleet of vehicles(its up to 9 now).
Right now I have driveway alert motion detectors mounted inside the garage so they can wake me up at night if someone breaks in for a cleanout. I also have each machine double chained and padlocked to each other but we know that would just slow them down.
What I really want is a system of security cameras and also some kind of defense system (nonlethal of course ) that can take care of business when Im not home.

Looking on the net there is a dizzing array of devices like motion sensing water hoses and night vision cameras but trying to find something is making my brain hurt. I have a an extra computer that could be dedicated for a recording system . If anyone has real world experience and ideas for what resolution or brands that work . I would like wireless cameras but heard they suck for signal quality .I have no problem going wired . What resolution and night vision specs actually work. It will also have to have a time stamp on the system for any prosecutions.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

HondaRacing83
07-31-2011, 12:41 PM
you must be loaded

DnB_racing
07-31-2011, 12:52 PM
get a big dog, and train him for security

quad59
07-31-2011, 03:58 PM
I agree on the dog idea. I have a boxer mutt and a great dane, both are lovers but bark at the smallest little things and I do not correct this behavior. Slightest noise and they are alert, my wife has left the garage door open before with all my machines in full view, not a car in the driveway and they were still their. A 170lb pound dog that stands 39 inches at the shoulder works wonders. Even the ups man leaves my packages at the neighbors house.

witech
07-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Sorry cannot have animals. I was thinking something along the lines of this.
http://www.defensedevices.com/shotgun-alarm-signal1.html
I have a house garage and a workshop all separate.
Tripwires connected to the machines sounds like a good idea. A smoke bomb would work as well. They wouldnt stick around if the whole place was smoke bound and couldnt see. Is it legal to electrify a door handle with a fencer ?

HondaPohl
07-31-2011, 04:59 PM
Thats a great idea! Shotgun pointed at the balls. ****ers will stay away. But besides all the gimicks with smoke and **** why not just go with a security system from ADT or something. Whens it armed and it trips, cops come.

CJM
07-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Walk outside, exclaim loudly about guns or something relating to them. Proceed to talk out loud how your going to clean a gun (shotguns are always good). Better yet have a friend thier and discuss it with them, have them ask just how big a hole it leaves, etc, etc. It works, they will hear you and not even think about bothering you.

Seriously that would work quite well but its only for entertainment purposes. Get motion sensing lights, set them super sensitive. Lock EVERYTHING down very good. Make sure your doors have good dead bolts and use very long screws to secure the hinges. Put a high fence up so no one can see in your yard.

Best of all call the cops, explain your a concerned anonymous citizen who lives on your street and you think there is drug dealing going on (probably is) in that house. In only a short time the cops will be there and very interested in that house and its residents.

Tommy Warren
07-31-2011, 10:03 PM
install this on your garage door

woodsracer144
08-01-2011, 09:44 PM
agree with tommy! ^^^ but the cops would prolly show then,

you live in Green bay? a ak47 and 30-06 protect me... I also have a dog but shes an attention whore so she wouldnt do anything...

buck440
08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Charles Bronson

Langbolt
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Move to a nicer neighbourhood!

Yeah I know exactly how you feel...I had my MINT 1987 TRX250R stolen from my garage at the cottage....Happened during the week in the winter so not many people around.....my neighbours saw the truck that took it too! They said they even waived to them as they thought I was with them coming to pick it up and bring it to the city!!!!

I had it locked up and it just slowed them down.....they were proberably there for an hour ....but no one was in the area so they could take their time....

The camera idea might be good.....but what good is a video of some guys in hoodies....wearing jeans and running shoes.....that narrows it down to a couple hundred kids in the neighbour hood.

I went with the ADT security system.....If the alarm goes off the cops are there in 20 minutes.....So I gotta make sure it's gonna take them longer than that to cut the Locks & such.

When I had the system installed in my house I told the technician I wanted sensors on the garage doors (so if they're opened the alarm goes off) He said why ??? Then I showed him the quads & motorcycle.....He said they don't usually install sensors there!!!

I couldn't believe it.....Most of us on here could give a rats ***** of the stuff in the house 'cause we could replace it easily.....but our Quads are priceless!!

We all need NOSEY neighbours that watch our houses all the time....then when some sketchy dudes are around they call the cops!!!!

:devil:

slightlybent47
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
The problem with the booby trap alarm is that it’s called a booby trap. That makes it illegal in any state. Also if you point it at a door or window and someone get shot breaking in then YOU are the one that’s going to jail and the crook will take every thing you own legally through a law suite.

A dog only works if the crook is afraid of dogs; besides a can of pepper spray will take out the meanest dog out there.

Letting them here you talk about your guns only tells then to stay away while your home. But it also lets them know you have guns in the house and they can steal them while your not home. They sell very well in the hood.

I would use a camera like you are leaning towards with a computer that not only records but up loads all the data to a remote site. Or hide the hard drive where they can’t find it.
Also I would add a service that calls the cops when an alarm goes off.

Post sine’s in the yard and on the buildings that state there cameras on the premises and that you are being recorded 24-7.

If you don’t or can’t have a counseled hand gun permit then I would hide a gun in a safe place so if I come home and someone is already in your house you can put your hands on it real quick.

It’s a shame we as law abiding citizens have to play by the rules but the crooks don’t.

witech
08-02-2011, 11:21 AM
In front of the house we are kitty corner from the fire /police dept. I was looking up crimes on the family watchdog web site and I do live in high crime neighborhood.
I agree on the quads being priceless. I custom port/build /tune each one taking easily 40 to 50 hours losing 2 ,3 or more of them would be devastating .

We kind of had a watch dog in the old woman who lives across the alley .but recently she had a stroke and just cant bark like she used to .

I have a Detech smoke alarm system . I think it might be possible to hook up motion detectors to the unit. I think having the power to the garage with a switch in the house so i could shut the door opener off would be a big help. Of course disabling the quick release would be required but it would sure keep them from opening the big door.

witech
08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
The shotgun shell tripwire isnt actually a gun . It uses a blank cartridge that gives you a nice kaboom to let everyone know someones breaking in. The motion activated sprinklers Ill bet would be a great deterent . Nothing lethal just a dose of water and maybe a little vineger to add some stick for the police to help ID the perps.

As far as moving seriously there is no such thing as a safe place to live. I know of several people I work with who live out in the country that have been cleaned out while they were away.

fastredrider44
08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
A security system such as Brinks or ADT is about as good as you are going to get. But at least with them, you get lots of protection. Not just theft. A sign in the yard stating what kind of system you have is a nice touch too. I know of some people who don't even have the system that have a sign in their yard.

I know my g/f's alarm means business. You have 15 seconds to unlock the door and disarm it before two phone numbers get dialed and if no answer, police, and a siren that will wake the neighbors.

backwoodsracer
08-02-2011, 07:48 PM
In all seriousness if you just replace the motion sensing lights say in your garge with flashing leds blue or red! it will frieghten them sirens also.(Outside would be even better because what neighbor isnt going to look and see why what looks like to be the cops are at your house. This is legal just and FYI) These lights are easy to get ahold of on any firefighting gear website, the just need to be wired to the motion sensor.While this isnt cheap i promise you it will get a lot of eyes looking to see whats going on and make them flee. Its an extremeley bad idea to mention guns within earshot of thse type folk, this will increase theyre intrest in your house because they more than likley already have a felony and cannot legaly obtain or posses a firearm.

bergoff
08-02-2011, 11:10 PM
If you do go with adt or apex be sure that you get the type that calls on a cell phone not over a phone line. they cost a little more. I'm actually thinking about getting one myself. We also have had several breakins. here. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I will yell at some kids that are being acting suspicious.

We had a breakin down the street and the homeowner caught the kid and held him and gun point and beat him good till the cops got there. It seems like its usually dumb kids up to no good that don't want to work for crap and would rather steal it to think that they are cool.

michael b
08-30-2011, 06:09 PM
It seems like you have a nice sized house or at least garage to store 9 vehicles. What kind of house do the "hoods" live in? If you install cameras, you may also want to consider having a monitoring company such as ADT (http://www.protectyourhome.com/) install a security system on your garage and home. They can put door and window sensors throughout your place. If you layered up with a monitoring company and security cameras, if you do get victimized you will have a good chance at catching or identifying the criminal.

JForestZ34
08-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
get a big dog, and train him for security

A dog is good until it gets loose and bites someone not on your property

James

DnB_racing
08-31-2011, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
A dog is good until it gets loose and bites someone not on your property

James the key word is TRAIN not big, a properly trained security dog wont get loose to bite,

the only problem is if the owner is to lazy to train properly,

its not the dogs fault, but the fault of a bad owner, who doesnt care enough about his pets to take the appropriate measures to secure or train adequately, it the dogs natural instincts, its the owner's responsibility to protect his beloved protector!!

there are no bad dogs just bad owners:macho

if a fat man was swimming with a bunch of seals, in shark infested wateres, and got bit by a shark ...its not the sharks fault that the fat man was to stupid to get out of the water:devil:

Pappy
08-31-2011, 03:33 AM
And get insurance. It is cheap enough for the peace of mind......

Most folks have no clue their home owners policy wont cover their atv until its to late!

JForestZ34
08-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
the key word is TRAIN not big, a properly trained security dog wont get loose to bite,

the only problem is if the owner is to lazy to train properly,

its not the dogs fault, but the fault of a bad owner, who doesnt care enough about his pets to take the appropriate measures to secure or train adequately, it the dogs natural instincts, its the owner's responsibility to protect his beloved protector!!

there are no bad dogs just bad owners:macho

if a fat man was swimming with a bunch of seals, in shark infested wateres, and got bit by a shark ...its not the sharks fault that the fat man was to stupid to get out of the water:devil:

You can still train the dog as best as you can. It's still a wild animal and can go off at any time. How many people do you know or read about in the paper that their dog got loose and bit a child or a person walking by.

I've read many about the owners having the dog for 10+ years and then out of the blue the dog bites one of their kids or a person walking by.

Too much risk if you ask me. Get a good security system with cameras and some good locks

James

DnB_racing
09-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
You can still train the dog as best as you can. It's still a wild animal and can go off at any time. How many people do you know or read about in the paper that their dog got loose and bit a child or a person walking by.

I've read many about the owners having the dog for 10+ years and then out of the blue the dog bites one of their kids or a person walking by.

Too much risk if you ask me. Get a good security system with cameras and some good locks

James yes Ive seen a lot of owners fail to do there job, and allow there untrained poorly restrained dog to get out, but Ive also seen many properly trained properly restrained dogs never have an issue, it really is all the owners fault

its not a risk, its just more work and responsibility,its only a risk if the owner makes it a risk, its just a lot of people are too lazy to do what is necessary

i personally would want both types of protection, as Ive installed enough alarm systems to know they arnt fool proof, and the dog just adds another level of protection. cameras will do nothing to stop a masked intruder, and locks and chains can be breached quietly in seconds

a dog that barks 3 times if someone steps one foot on your property is a great deterrent, and acts as a first stage waring system,

but absolutely nothing will stop the person that knows what he is doing,

if someone wants it bad enough there's nothing you can do to stop them, if its that valuable insure it

Pappy
09-01-2011, 05:12 AM
I dont have any attack trained dogs anymore. My hunting dogs give me a few seconds warning and the crook 1 chance at leaving here with out a hole in him.

I do believe my dogs will bite if you try and harm one of us, infact I know they would. If someone trys something here, a dog bite will be the least of their worries:p

Dogs are a preventative, but a person set on doing something bad can neutralize the dog in seconds. Crooks see dogs and signs and know there is something worth protecting inside.

My **** is insured, I dont even lock my doors nor do I take the keys from my vehicles. Living where I do affords me some security and we are very proactive to any strangers (dead end driveway 700 ft off the main road. That same solitude also opens us up to a more violent attack.

We are 30 minutes from any law enforcment so an alarm doesnt do much, albiet a loud audible alarm would bring neighbors.

RATPACK Z400
09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Had mine stolen aswell ! I took old siren ,battery,toggle switch, and some string and made an alarm ! first connect battery to toggle to siren so toggle controls siren then run string to door ,So when door opens siren is kicked on Thats a cheap way of doing it without ADT/ etc . just tell neighbors when leaving town and if they hear run them off or call police! And use chain/lock that needs to be cut with torch !

OldGuyonaQuad
09-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Yea pappy is spot on as usual. Don't learn the hard way like I did. I insured it but not for theft. I had a heavy duty chain and lock that are still in tack double wrapped around my universal gym. I only ran the chain through the front frame they must taken the front wheel and shock off
I have a boxer and she is a great watch dog but if u r on vacation and she isn't there it doesn't help

I now have a loud siren wired to the doors and windows that will blast for two hours b 4 the battery runs out. I am going to get another machine soon. I will get full insurance this time and I will copy you the camera system my buddy has that I like and am looking to purchase.

My last mistake and suggestion for u is to park a car in front of the garage door and you can't get a quad out of the garage without hot wiring the car unless its a stick. Gl hope u don't wind up in my boat