PDA

View Full Version : Tires & upgrades

GAZ-V-21
07-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a 2007 400 ex all stock I would like to start doing trail races next summer so I was wondering what tires you guys recomend and where should I start on upgrades such as shocks a arms and stuff like that. I was looking at holeshots for tires.

honda400ex2003
07-30-2011, 09:16 PM
holeshots or razrs will be your best bet. i like the razrs since they wear quite a bit better than the holeshots. the holeshots are quite a soft compound.

450r front shocks and +2 arms would be the best cheap version otherwise some nice shocks and arms would be a great improvement to make you faster.

a stage 1 hotcam, filter, and slipon would get you some ok gains to get some more power out on a budget but a 416 would be great depending.

just my thoughts,
steve

Honda.rider5871
07-30-2011, 09:26 PM
The most common setup is maxxis razr rears with razr 2 fronts , or look into gbc , itp gnccs, kenda kutters , they make a ton of different atv tires . Just make sure you get 6 ply .

Next your gonna need good full skids , swinger being most important (you dont have to run a -arm skids , its personal preffrence really)

Now for the most importand - SUSPENSION is definally the most importand for a good xc setup . The cheapest and most common way is to buy a used set of 450r front shocks , get them revalved and re sprung for your wieght , riding style, application , etc. the stock rear shock works well re sprung and re valved with a aftermarket linkage , there are many different companies that do this suckh as GT thunder , Race tech , JET suspension , etc. You will also want to buy a puk style stablizer , ccp being the most common and effective ive found .

Motor wise is up to your prefrence , but personally i only run a pipe , high comp piston , hotcams, port and polished exhaust ports , with a couple little things in there . the key is your runing a couple hour race , dont make the motor generate soo much heat that it drops looses power .

hope this helped

dxcody
07-31-2011, 12:25 AM
if you are going to run the razr rear razr 2 front combo, (if you dont mind the mix match)

Get razr rears. 6 PLY!!!! and get GBC xrex fronts. (xrex are the exact same as razr 2's but half the cost.)

And yess ^^^^^^ 450r shox are amazing, then you can get them rebuilt eventually and they are as good as fox and all the other brands.

For Harescrambles (trail racing)
Shox are far more important than power. You get that suspension setup that steve was talking about above and you will be able to beat guys on stock 450's or at least keep up with them.

Bill Ballance said and i quote " These guys go building thier motors up trying to get faster, when they arent getting full potential out of their stock motor power on stock suspension."

DragonGunner
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM
I go with the Razr's....but check out the race trails you are going to run on. If really rocky an rough that can be hard on tires go with the 6 ply. But I can tell you I have bothe 4 an 6 ply, the razr 2, in 6 ply are great but are freaking heavy an rob horsepower. If you have softer trails I stick with the 4 ply myself. An yes, suspension is everything also.

GAZ-V-21
07-31-2011, 04:04 PM
The trails I ride are mostly dirt mud and tree branches I went out there today had a great time in the mud and flying through the trees. I plan on ordering the razrz tomorrow hope they will get me a little more traction than the stock tires back in the woods

GAZ-V-21
08-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Ok I am ordering the razrs tomorrow what size front and back do I need for the stock rims?

finsteratv
08-02-2011, 05:32 PM
10in front 9in rear, correct me if im wrong.

CJM
08-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
10in front 9in rear, correct me if im wrong.

Yep that would be stock. You want 22x10 for the front and 20x9 for the rear (22 rears are ok too but a bit tall imho).

HondaRacing83
08-02-2011, 09:17 PM
22 rears are terrible

finsteratv
08-03-2011, 11:43 AM
22 rears on my brothers 250ex....2 wheelin it on trails all the time when i ride it and him too..put on my spare 20's..he's getting down the whole sliding thing. haha. i run 4ply 20in but i think i might grab a set of 6ply tires next..gettin razr's for sure :macho

GAZ-V-21
08-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Tires are on the way I cant wait

jake"08"400
08-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Itp gncc are the best tires I've used. I've had the holeshots and they are nothing compared to this I have now. Also the 450r shocks help a lot.

chronicsmoke
08-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by dxcody

And yess ^^^^^^ 450r shox are amazing, then you can get them rebuilt eventually and they are as good as fox and all the other brands.

I wouldnt say "as good" that implies that they are at par with one another.. I have had my stock revalves and a GTT Link since late fall last year, and I'm ready for an aftermarket LT setup already.

It was a great fix at the time for both my skill level and wallet size, but I find myself going bigger, faster, landing harder.. I need some LT's for next year me thinks :ermm:

400eXz
08-04-2011, 09:39 PM
for xc racing get a slip on or full system air filter, tires ( get a nice compound not to close together or to soft) and deff get some handguards, nerfs and teether kill should be required, imo i would run stock a arms because its easier to fit through tight trees. and if you have some extra cash get some anti vibe bars and a after market bumper.

GAZ-V-21
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Got the razr tires on and oil changed cant wait to hit the trails this weekend and see the difference between the stock tires and new razrs