PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Bearings?

MtnEX
07-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Well I am not the pilot of my 400EX much anymore, but I was today....

You know how you stand on the pegs and rock it with the gas cap off to try to see the gas level? Well that is what I was doing... felt and heard the slop.

So what is the advice on this?

Bearings? A whole carrier? What brand, etc?

I bet I'll be lucky to afford the parts so I am going to have to do the work myself. So any advice on that part would be appreciated too.

honda400ex2003
07-30-2011, 09:08 PM
if you know for sure it is the carrier, just a pivot works or all balls kit will do it for you. a good check is to jack it up and verify since it can move at the axle or the swinger.

if the swinger is moving the best thing to do is get the oem stuff for it.

i prefer the pivot works stuff but both are decent.

as long as you caught it early enough your carrier should be fine, no need to upgrade unless you feel it is necessary for your application.

steve

honda400ex2003
07-30-2011, 09:13 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350

how to get the carrier out, then pound the bearings out from the inside. the right one hit from the left through the carrier and vice versa. they will not go through the middle since there is a stop edge inside there.

another longer version;
f you can get the parts it only takes about an hour to do. you just take the right hub off, take the lock nut off, take the brake caliper off, slide the disk off, and pull the axle out. this will get you to the carrier. then you can take out the c-clip inside the carrier, take the outside brake mount off and slide it out. Pound out the old ones with a chisel or something and push the new ones in. Put them in the freezer so they go in easier and get a socket that is pretty big to help hit them in. dont hit just the middle it can mess up the balls inside and warp the bearings. Then do the opposite steps to get back together. not bad. maybe 2 hours if you really go slow and the bearings dont come out easy for you. I have done mine before, and a buddies with a foreman as we speak. in the process of doing his since he did not get all of them. you just need one kit for the 400ex as long as you have the stock carrier. If you have any questions let us know some of us do them quite a bit cause of the conditions we ride. i would change for sure if you are going to ride in the sand for the whole weekend. i think I got everything in the directions as a broad idea of what you have to do.

steve

MtnEX
07-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Nice man... thanks...

Oh it is certainly the carrier, while all else is tight. The axle has enough play that the rotor has touched the skids a few times.

It is not making noise, but I can't say that I know the carrier is not damaged.

Cheap would be good at this point though...

honda400ex2003
07-30-2011, 10:09 PM
a bearing kit is only 40 bucks or so and will have all of the stuff needed. if you have a decent auto parts place you could get the bearings from there in a bind but you might not be able to get all of the seals. it is hard to say but worth a check, it would be cheaper to get them at an auto parts store.

take the bearings with you and try not to damage the races too bad, the numbers are on one side of them but i am not sure which off hand. i havent had mine apart for a couple of years.

steve

dxcody
07-30-2011, 10:13 PM
if you can afford it, get a lonestar bearing carrier and bearing.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Like i say the price aint cheap but i put them on my 400ex and they were awesome. Never got sloppy on me.

Just MO but if not then all balls is great too.

I have all pivot works for every bearing on my honda foreman and they are great too!

The cool things about all balls is then they usually give you some pretty cool stickers.

Mine said "Get some balls!" when i put new wheel bearings (i think it was wheel bearings) on my 416.

dxcody
07-30-2011, 10:16 PM
oh and if you need me too i can pull mine apart and see if i can read the numbers off the races for you if you cant read them.

I need to check them anyways.

And i also have a manuel. not sure if it says what size in it or not though. If you need me to i can look though just let me know.

MtnEX
07-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Last Saturday I just gave my brother-in-law the same advice on the Lonestar dual row for his TRX450R. That was the dual row I could happen to name off the top of my head that day... that one and I told him I thought Houser made one too... as well as others. His carrier was eat up bad.

He got the Lonestart and he is pretty happy with me right now. But at the same time not because I jinxed him on the swing arm bolt. He wanted to do it all and I warned that it might have the same swinger bolt setup as the other TRX's and if it did, it would be siezed up in there from rust or bending... and sure enough the 450 has the same issues the others do. His is siezed.

I think I will see if I have the tools to remove the axle, and if so, I think I will pull it apart and look to see if I can tell anything about the condition of the carrier... if all is good I will certainly do the bearings and seals instead of doing the nice dual row and all... too broke man... too broke....

dxcody
07-30-2011, 11:37 PM
haha those pesky swingarm pivot bolts!
Always a pain!

~Cody~ <<< what do you guys think about the new Sig Everyone seems to do it lol