PDA

View Full Version : 400 ex wont even crank over

cflora19
07-30-2011, 03:04 PM
I bought a 400 ex off a gentleman that use to use it for ice racing. It has some after market parts on it. I am not new two quads but new to the racing side of them. When i press my electric start on the 400 ex it wont even crank over the battery is 90% full. Could this be the starting solinoid?

I appreciate anyone who can help me get it runing again

HondaPohl
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I would start with your starter relay. Check all connections. Check for broken wires. Find yourself a good schematic. If your browse the threads you might find one posted already. Just start narrowing everything down.

thebig450es
07-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Check to make sure the ground is good, check the coil and cdi, and solinoid.

400exrip
08-12-2011, 06:17 AM
check your fuse 400ex's are bad for blowing fuses if you have the motor modded.

If any wires are tapped up with electrical tape take off the tape to makes sure the wires are connected good then tape them back real tight.

Do a wiggle test on all the wires. just wiggle all of the wires at each point they hook up, make sure they are tight and have a good connection if the bike has a kill switch make sure all of the connections are tight.

One time on my 400 it would not start cause my start button wire was pinched inside the control box, where you can turn the lights on at, take that box apart and check all wires to make sure there are no pinched wires anywere, check arond the start button carefully.

And like stated above check the solinoid 400's are known for blowing solinoid's also.

If none of that works take the stator cover off and make sure you have good connections to your stator and no wires are loose, If it does not have a good connection, the starter relay can't turn the motor over.

But before doing all of that check the basics, fuse, battery wires, spark plug wires, cdi box,coil,