PDA

View Full Version : Using a Regular Piston w/ HotRods Stroker

fauxamish
07-30-2011, 01:37 PM
I found a good deal on a HotRods stroker crank and I've been wanting to stroke my bike. I know with the HR setup, you are supposed to run a special piston, but what would it take to run a non-stroker piston?

I'm asking cause I've already got a new 88mm piston and with the stroker I would be right at 450cc. I didn't want to go over 450cc. I know Powroll makes a crank that uses any piston, but the HR crank is a better deal right now if this is possible.

The HR crank moves the piston pin up 2mm and their piston has a 2mm higher pin to compensate. I'm currently using an xr400 head gasket and no base gasket. If I put in a thicker base gasket (or just use a base gasket in the first place since I'm not running one...) would it be possible to avoid hitting the head?

2mm = .0787". OEM base gasket is ~.020", using a 400ex head gasket instead of XR400 head gasket gives me another .010". The .048" remaining should take care of most of the deck height issues discussed in the Mickey Dunlap articles on here right? I know this will probably result in higher compression, but I'll be running a hotcam stage 3 so the longer duration will lower compression a little, correct? I'm contemplating running race gas or AV fuel anyways lol.

Next question: is there enough slack in the cam chain? I've been running the CRF one for 2 years now, so I'm guessing its stretched a little lol.

If I'm way off on any of this, someone please let me know lol. I'd tear my bike apart and check deck height and everything, but its in OH and I'm in TX for the next 2 months. Thanks for any advice.

DragonGunner
07-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Your right...its a problem issue for sure!!! I use to know this stuff, but its been awhile but you are on the right track, but by the time you buy all that you need you might as well get the right piston. Your right on the Powroll design...if I stroked it would be this....they use to have on there web page all the answers to your questions here...I would check them out an see if they still have the info.

fauxamish
07-30-2011, 02:12 PM
The Powroll crank seems like the better way to go, and I had made up my mind that I was going to get that set up when I finally decided to pull the trigger on building a stroker lol. However, the HR crank would be a killer deal if I can make it work without it getting too crazy.

I know one guy on here did it and he machined the valve reliefs on the piston and was getting 15:1 compression, so I know its possible, just don't want quite that much compression lol.

DragonGunner
07-30-2011, 04:04 PM
I think when I was toying with the stroker ideal myself I found among other things you would need base plate to raise things, like you siad...problem is I couldn't find any to buy, some had made them at one time but not anymore. Also make sure if you go that route to check an make sure piston isn't hitting the bottom, may have take some off the bottom of the piston.

fauxamish
07-30-2011, 04:43 PM
The piston skirt shouldn't be a problem cause the HR crank uses a stock length rod. The crank pin is just moved out 2mm. Powroll moves theirs out 2mm and then shortens the rod to correct the length.

I know some guys that run machine shops, maybe they can fab a spacer for me. I still think a thicker base gasket would work and if I do it right, my compression might end up around 12:1.

A dealer near my house can cut any gasket on a machine, maybe they can load a thicker paper in and I can get the thicker gasket that way...