PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Cam options.

flyboy1294
07-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I mostly do trail riding and some playing in strip mines nowadays. With that said, I have always had a small fascination with video, and I think some of you guys would really enjoy some footage of the areas we ride in (beautiful scenery and wildlife, etc). And of course, it'd be awesome to be able to reflect back on it during the winter months.

With that said, I am interested in getting a helmet cam for riding trips this fall.

I know the GoPro cams are popular. Is the HD Hero the way to go? $300.00 is a bit more than I was wanting to spend really. Does anyone have the Hero 960? How does it compare?

Also, are there any alternatives to GoPro that are worth the money?

I think this would make riding enjoyable on a whole different level, so I'm anxious to get started. :macho

Thanks for the input!

BlaineKaiser450
07-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Try to pick up a used Hero. My friend got a mint one with mounts for $110

mxpimp2000
07-30-2011, 02:48 PM
i bought a mint go pro hero 5mp non hd for $80

lasher45
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
GoPro is hands down the way to go. The only other option out there is the Contour HD, which doesnt have nearly as many mounting options (You can mount the GoPro literally anywhere), it's not waterproof and not as tough. I've dropped my GoPro, had skiiers slam into it with their skis and it still works 100% fine.

The 960 is still a good camera, however it doesnt have all the filming modes the full 1080P does. Most importantly it doesnt have the 720P @60FPS which is what I always use and most other people do as well.

It was probably the best $300 I spent.

If you're looking to just film yourself and not do any editing to the video or things like that then the 960 is perfect. However if you're looking for a camera where you can have lots of room to play around with the video speed and clipping and make some sort of edit then go with the full 1080p version and leave it on mode r3 (720p @60FPS)