PDA

View Full Version : Thumb throttle improvement

Nahum
07-30-2011, 03:01 AM
After some race time I always have the problem to push the throttle as easily as I did it during the first round. My thumb simply does not have enough power.

Has someone ever tried to build a completely different thumb throttle from what they are at the moment? Do you have photos?

I don´t mean something like a throttle extension (longer lever).

I´m thinking of different cog wheels or cable pulleys inside the throttle body.

http://www.andreas-haberl.de/misc/thumb.jpg

CJM
07-30-2011, 07:12 AM
You need to strengthen your thumb muscles, more you ride the more you do so.

wilkin250r
07-30-2011, 10:19 AM
You're going to be fighting the throttle spring inside the carb, and it will have a certain tension to it for safety. A stuck throttle truly and honestly puts your LIFE in danger.

You have a spring force, and a lever to compress that spring force. It all boils down to that, and all the fancy cog wheels in the world can't change basic physics. You've only got force and distance, and you can only trade one for the other. If you want less force, you have no choice but to push it for a longer distance. Fancy levers, cogs, and other stuff can only change that maybe 10% at most.

eastside 400
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
cut your spring down in the carb/throttle body. im not sure what kind of bike you have but if its not a honda, put a honda thumb throttle on it, 400ex ones work great. the ratio's and action in the honda assemblies are the best

HondaPohl
07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Get those spring loaded hand squeezer thingies and work those muscles!

slightlybent47
07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Change the angle on the throttle by rotating it down on the bars. I keep mine just tight enough so if I need to move it I can grab it with both hands and move it up or down if I want to without using a tool. The lower I have it the less thumb cramp I get.

beastlywarrior
07-30-2011, 10:08 PM
try a trx90 lever

destey
08-01-2011, 09:04 AM
For the first couple years of riding I had the same problem. Then it went away with time.

They make extensions for the thumb throttle that make it more like a snowmobile thumb throttle. Sorry I don't have a link

Scro
08-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Get a small ice cream scoop with a thumb lever, and use it whenever possible. It will make a difference.

DnB_racing
08-01-2011, 10:01 AM
there's a few factors involved to making your quad easy on the arms and hands,

one is a good throttle ( i use the trx 90) and its leverage is great, if your riding a banshee you have 2 carbs you have double the spring tension, and it will be stiffer

next is good grips that will not move

a good set of riding gloves

then proper bend bars for your height and riding style

levers that fit your reach, and positioned comfortably for your hands

anti vibe and stabilzer help alot

and believe it or not, but a gripper seat helps to keep your body planted and not slide so you dont have to worry as much about sliding off and can lessen your grip,

and even good Sharp foot pegs help to keep you feel planted, also to make your grip relax a little more

im fat and out of shape now, and my arms and hands are the only thing that doesnt get tired

Nahum
08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
small ice cream scoop with a thumb lever

Sorry, I don´t understand you. What do you mean with an ice scream scoop???

http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/Product_59/Ice-Cream-Scoop-w--Release-SZ116959.jpg

Scro
08-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Something like this.

KingpinsEx
08-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I am curious about this too, however I have a fuel injected quad. I have heard of cutting springs, but that is in the carb? I need to do something, out of all my buddies quads, everyone tells me my throttle is stiff. My thumb muscles are plenty strong, but it makes sense to have an easier throttle rather than insane thumb muscles. Any tips on getting an easier push other than lubing the cable for an FI machine?

slightlybent47
08-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Change the angle on the throttle by rotating it down on the bars. I keep mine just tight enough so if I need to move it I can grab it with both hands and move it up or down if I want to without using a tool. The lower I have it the less thumb cramp I get.

So no one is willing to try my method?

DnB_racing
08-01-2011, 08:37 PM
So no one is willing to try my method? lol,,, actulally most everyone I know uses this method... but if its yours Ill make sure we call it the slightlybent method...LOL

the name does fit!!!

slightlybent47
08-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
lol,,, actulally most everyone I know uses this method... but if its yours Ill make sure we call it the slightlybent method...LOL

the name does fit!!!

Lol….Ok that works for me!!!! You did make the most since with all the deferent factors in your other post that contribute to arm pump and thumb cramps.
And hey the slightly bent method does have a nice ring to it!!!!
But lets jazz it up a bit more and call it the slightly bent racing method!!!....lol

Scro
08-02-2011, 05:27 AM
So no one is willing to try my method?

I used that method when I raced. Only I twisted it enough that I could reach around with my index and middle finger, and hold it wide open in the field sections. I don't recommend anywhere else though. It's an all or nothing method.:p

slightlybent47
08-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Seat time did the most for the thumb cramps; in fact seat time works for a lot of things.

buck440
08-02-2011, 08:08 AM
new cables help noticeably. i always also get rid of the spring in the thumb throttle housing, remove another small spring in the carb and bend the BIG spring by heating it.

it can be as stiff as stock or as light that a fart can push it or anywhere in between. it does take some patients because you'll have to take the carb in and out multiple times but it's worth it.

ZBlaster
08-02-2011, 09:25 AM
When I was running GNCC I'd run my throttle turned wayy up. Puts you at a better angle when standing, and allows you to gas with your palm if you thumb starts cramping.

Tommy Warren
08-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I play thumb wars

Wills77
08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
i had the same problem my fix was a motion pro 1/8th turn twist throttle haha

Mxjunkie
08-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Wills77
i had the same problem my fix was a motion pro 1/8th turn twist throttle haha

Yeah buddy I'll ride twist forever because I can't ride a thumb throttle to save my life.. I've ridden twist since 1998 when I started racing minis lol :macho

slightlybent47
08-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I used to ride with a twisty way back in the day and I really liked it. but I haven’t tried it lately.

300ex_#387
08-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I've ran twist throttle on all my race quads since I started racing. I've tried going back to a thumb a couple times and I always put the twist back on.

deathman53
08-03-2011, 04:08 PM
I changed everything to twists, but I had the same problem w/ thumbs. I found that adjustable levers helped alot. James Lucky Atv sells them.

hontrx265r
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
There are mods you can do that don't require cutting the spring (which doesn't work that well) on an FCR carb. Its kind of hard to explain without a pic but you can move the spring on the carb. It tabs into a slot behind the wheel where the cable connects. There is another tab that is about 1/3 the way back, that can be slotted and used. This equals butter smooth throttle. I've done the same thing on my crf throttle body, for my hybrid and it worked flawless as well.

ZBlaster
08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Yeah buddy I'll ride twist forever because I can't ride a thumb throttle to save my life.. I've ridden twist since 1998 when I started racing minis lol :macho

I LOVE a twist on a bike; but twists get me hurt on a quad. Lol