PDA

View Full Version : Running Badly when hot.

Pale Rider 270
07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a 07' Outlaw and is has a good many hours on it. The bike has been well mantained an runs great most of the time. I have noticed that it has recently been running hot. When it does it tends to break up and carry on. It started in Hatfiled McCoy territory and the problem was deemed to be vapor lock. With all of the steep climbs at slow speeds, it seemed plausible. Finding a place to open it up usually solved the problem. I found that the bike HAD to be driven aggressively to stay cool. Wide open throttle was not a problem. I also figured that the higher elevation had something to do with it.

Now I am back in PA and riding at elevations that are still in line with WV and I am having the same issues. I have researched this and think that is may be a jetting issue. I had the dealer re-jet (drill them out) when the bike was new and was suffering from nasty backfires on decel. That solved the problem for a little while but now that the bike has seen some hours the issue is back. So are the nasty backfires. I have no idea of what the current jetting is and am considering starting from scratch. I know that they come stock with a 148 and that is supposed to be waaaaay to lean from what I understand.

I am currently riding at about 1850 ft in elevation. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could solve this issue? I have already tried the usual. Plug is good and the gap is right. The problem really seems to manifest itself when I hit water and the bike is hot. I also recently replaced the coil & SP wire. I am still running the stock exchaust and still have the lid on the air box.

Any suggestions?

OutlawBill
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Put some heat shield on bottom of gas tank (Moose Racing and CV4) add a switch to radiator fan so you can turn it on any time, get the CV4 radiator hose kit with by pass comes with on in line water cooler. If that does not work add Oil cooler, bigger radiator and engine ice coolant

Bombshell525
07-30-2011, 06:39 PM
The problem youre having with the decel popping is caused by a bad seal between the flange and the head pipe.

What I did to eliminate the popping is took 1/8" off the part that goes on the flange. Make sure its still flat when you're done and put high temp RTV around the flange. Mine hasnt done it since this was done.