PDA

View Full Version : Blowing fuses

MidnightBlade
07-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I went through some hardcore mud on Sunday, the bike ran great the whole ride. Got back to my buddy's and hosed it off, and were going to go back out to a trail with some good jumps. I got on the quad and started it, it idled fine but would die as soon as I gave it any throttle, I could start it at about 1/4 throttle and keep it running about 3000 rpm. After I started it at 1/4 it would idle and run fine, wouldn't shutoff when I gagged on it either.

Fast foreward to unloading that night. Quad starts fine on the back of the truck, take it for one lap around the yard (about 9:30, so the headlights are on) and I noticed the headlights got dim then would flicker on and off on Lowbeams, then they shutoff altogether but the highbeams still came on but now they flickered between bright and dim. Pull it up into nuetral to get off for a looksee and the green nuetral light is extremely dim as is the reverse light and brake lights. I backed it in the garage, shut it off and tried to restart it. No lights came on and there was no power to the starter. Almost like the ignition went bad and took all Key-On power away.

So, Tuesday before work I pulled off all the plastics, took all the electrical connections apart to make sure there wasn't mud in there shorting them out, they were all clean. Pulled the fuse box cover and the fuse that is the furthest back (and slightly higher than the other) was burnt out, the one in front is still good. Replaced the fuse and everything works great now.

What I was wondering was what all is on the circuit of the rear fuse (15 amp) that could cause this problem and/or the fuse to blow. Or is it just that it wasn't my day on a 6 yr old fuse? :ermm:

Pappy
07-28-2011, 07:45 AM
That other fuse is a spare....good to know if it happens on the trail

MidnightBlade
07-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Man, Now someone tells me that:mad: I just bought a box of 15A's, ya know a few extra's for troubleshooting :devil:

mittman
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I had this same problem when I first got my bike. I was on a poker run with lots of mud and water and when I got back to camp my bike wouldnt start found out it was the 15 amp fuse. I bought a whole pack and blew like 3 within a day then one 2 days later it just stopped its been 3 years and hasnt done it since lol Make sure none of the wires are rubbing on the frame and pull apart all your connections and make sure they are dry.

Stickman400
07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Yea, water and mud seem to cause short-lived electrical problems on 400's. Me and my friend with an '04 used to blow them randomly after riding in the water and mud, and sometimes for just no reason. I'd replace them and sometimes it'd blow another, and sometimes it wouldn't. Very odd.

CJM
07-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Headlight harness can rub thru, make sure they arent rubbing anywhere.

Me, I carry about 10 extra 15amp fuses just to be sure.