PDA

View Full Version : Welded Hubs

dxcody
07-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok so my buddys axle turns but his wheels and hubs dont.
They are stripped flat.

I completely understand that welding the hubs is just a temp fix, and that its not exactly a good idea.

I was wondering if it has been done, and if you think it would work just until he gets a new axle.

I was only planning on welding the left hub so that he would still pull the axle without having to cut the axle to replace it.

Also if i just weld one side, can that cause the axle nut to loosen on the side that isnt welded? I am wanting to do just a temp. fix on it, but i still want it to be SEMI-safe for him to putt around on it.

Do you think it would work as a temp fix?

mittman
07-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh it will work as its done on my other 400. Im good as long as I dont have to pull the axle. I've heard of a person throwing a few welds on the axle and taking a cutting wheel on a grinder and making it work with the splines on the hub. Its a lot of work but seems possible with a little patience.

dxcody
07-27-2011, 08:39 PM
lol well i just thought about it and i went oh crap, i cant weld just one side.

I figure the axle is already done for, along with the hubs. So why not i mean like i said its just a temp fix. But since all i have is a MIG,

i told my buddy to go to my other buddy and he has an ARC. I figured it gets hotter and would be alot better on something thats gonna have quite a bit of tork on it

CJM
07-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Used axle and hubs for about 100 bones on ebay is probably a better idea. Otherwise once welded you gotta cut them off. Also hope your welding skills are good, bad welds will come apart.

How about some large washers used to shim the hubs and the axle nuts-unless the nuts are already done too?

mittman
07-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
lol well i just thought about it and i went oh crap, i cant weld just one side.

I figure the axle is already done for, along with the hubs. So why not i mean like i said its just a temp fix. But since all i have is a MIG,

i told my buddy to go to my other buddy and he has an ARC. I figured it gets hotter and would be alot better on something thats gonna have quite a bit of tork on it

If you know how to weld a mig will be fine. I did mine with my hobart. I welded the backside and the nut on the other side lol

dxcody
07-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Well i just told him that if he had it arc welded it would work better, and yea CJM both HUB and AXLE is stripped down flat, on both freakin sides, I dont know how the kid did it lol

I told him this would work, but it is like putting paint over rust,
the rust is still there, and will eventually have to get fixed properly.

I figure the welds should last until he can afford and axle.

I did alot of pricing on EBAY and your price sounds about right man, so thats what i told him it would probably be.

Thanks for the input everybody. Not my problem anymore haha.

at first i thought about drilling through the HUB and AXLE but then i though, thhat axle is steel. That would be a real B****.

HondaPohl
07-27-2011, 11:22 PM
If you weld it, the heat will stress the axle and make it more likely to bend. Plus its cast to hardened steel which is not exactly ideal. For a quick fix to get around for alil you be alrite. I wouldnt jump it to hard.

dxcody
07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
hes not a jumper lol

he is more of the type who likes to just go out and watch people ride.

Like he will hit the trails with us once just cruising and then he will park and watch most of the time lol

flyboy1294
07-28-2011, 08:10 AM
I have a mint 400ex axle I'd be willing to sell to a fellow rider for a pretty good deal.

That way you know he's safe, and you help fund my 450 build. :macho

400man
07-28-2011, 09:12 AM
my wheel hub on the sprocket side of the axle is welded. its been like that for nearly 2 years since ive had the bike and I can still remove the axle if I have to. ive not had any problems with it. I can get some pics if you want.

hybridracer686
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
weld one side then post up a video of one wheel roostin then weld up both sides until a new axel can be bought if that will work:D

dxcody
07-28-2011, 10:05 AM
i will talk to him and let you guys know. I can make a video of it when my friend gets done welding it.

I hate riding thAT dumb thing. its a twist throttle and i cant do the whole twist throttle thing.

mittman
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
i will talk to him and let you guys know. I can make a video of it when my friend gets done welding it.

I hate riding thAT dumb thing. its a twist throttle and i cant do the whole twist throttle thing.

My dad has a twist throttle on his yfz lol I hate it although it is fun at times I couldnt do it all the time tho