PDA

View Full Version : 440 rebuild.

mittman
07-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Im doing a rebuild on my 400 and I got all my parts yesterday and my cometic gaskets just now. Thing I found weird is the cometic head gasket is cardboard with a thin piece of metal in between them. Is this true cometic gaskets? Or is this a ebay knock off with just the cometic package. Will this handle the 440 with 12:1 cr? Just want to make sure before I throw it all together and ill be sure to post pics as I go.

CJM
07-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Thats thier cheaper line, return it cause those are junk.

You want ones listed as multi-layered steel aka MLS viton coated. You can buy direct from cometic for about the same price too.

mittman
07-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Thats thier cheaper line, return it cause those are junk.

You want ones listed as multi-layered steel aka MLS viton coated. You can buy direct from cometic for about the same price too.

52.00 compared to 36.00 on ebay. I asked the seller if he has metal 440 gaskets if so ill just send back and get other ones sent out. Hopefully I can get this all done by next wed.

mittman
07-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Ok got everything apart and putting my head studs back in the new cylinder now. Well got all the studs in and torqued to 33lb(spec) and they seemed a bit low. I put my head on and without a washer there is like 3 threads and with a washer there is like half a thread. Im so pissed I dont know what to do, I contacted the seller and hope he emails me back tom. If its going to take too long im going to take my old cylinder and just get it resleaved to save me time. Plus I think I can get it done for about 40.00 less then what I paid for the cylinder. Sorry guys this is just pretty much a rant! :mad:

mittman
07-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Ok well the guy got back to me in a email and said he has never had a problem with these cylinders. So I have 2 options, send it back for a replacement or find longer head studs and he will reimburse me for the price of the studs. Now what I originally had on my mind was stick a piece of all thread down those holes(like 3/8s long) so that way I can make the studs bottom out higher up and that will leave me with longer studs but if I can find longer studs I would much rather go that route. I just have to see how long mine are.