PDA

View Full Version : rookie attemping rebuild 07 450R - help

sunco
07-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I was told my crank is going. I want to try to rebuild it on my own. What tools would I need being I'm a rookie? I have the Honda shop book. Its my fourth motor gone south since 04' so I think I'm ready to give it a shot. Its an 07 450ER.

Scro
07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
I think the only special tool you really need is a flywheel puller. It may also be easier if you buy a socket to fit the spanner nut on the counter balancer. It can be taken off with a hammer and flat head screwdriver, but it's best to get the right tool. I would invest in a service manual as well. It tells you exactly how to do everything, from start to finish.

HondaPohl
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Good luck buddy. I remember my first rebuild was 87 tecate 4 topend and tranny when I was 14. Blew it up in one day cuz I didnt listen to my dad. Just take your time.

Scro
07-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Good thing is you have simplicity on your side with that motor. It's really not as bad as you think.

sunco
07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanx, yeah I got the service manuel. I'll get the tools. I got 2nd place in a night race on July 4th weekend the sunday while practicing I wrecked and hurt my knee, I was just told the MRI results today that I fractured my knee. Looks like I can take my time :rolleyes: I'll keep in touch, its been a rough year - two riders with two broken 450's, the kids is the trans...............
I don't want to leave the sport and if I did all my **** is broken, the toyhauler and others stuff is all over overhead :mad:

In God we Trust, All others pay cash :devil:

450R NOOB
09-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah I rebuilt my 05 without much trouble. I would try to borrow a flywheel puller, a spanner nut socket, and maybe a crank installer when you need it. Just need a flywheel puller to break it down then the other stuff for building it. Need manual, basic shop tools, and a strap wrench(to hold flywheel) and thats basically it. Good Luck.

sunco
09-23-2011, 06:25 AM
I worked hard made enough money for our guy who rebuilt us the 1st time fix them both. As much as it would be nice to fix my own stuff. One thing to know is to let the people do what they do best & you do what you do best - and for me, its construction. My body is a little better so all in all its time to head back to the track this weekend - Last race, quads only at BPG. Not sure if I'll race but we'll see how it goes. In God we Trust........all other pay cash :devil: