PDA

View Full Version : Witch one should i get Z400/kfx or a 400ex

300exjuggalo
02-22-2003, 05:41 PM
I am gettin a new quad in may and i cant decide on which to get either the 400ex, or a z400/kfx400 i no their both good and i love honda, but the others are good too, and i would like to hear some info/help on deciding from you guys thanks:scary:

RED121572
02-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Im pretty sure that the Z and KFX are the same quads. Just different colored plastics.

From what I understand, the Z/KFX have the same manners as the EX, but only a bit better suspension and a bit more powerful as well. My vote is for the liquid cooled machines.

RiPPiNiTuP7
02-22-2003, 06:19 PM
They both have their ups and downs...the 400ex has a little less power and no reverse, yet the z400 is known for having a weak frame/axle, so its your decision. I personally chose the EX over the Z, but both are very good quads, and either one will be a great choice ;)

Steve-o 400EX
02-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
They both have their ups and downs...the 400ex has a little less power and no reverse, yet the z400 is known for having a weak frame/axle, so its your decision. I personally chose the EX over the Z, but both are very good quads, and either one will be a great choice ;)

I agree, I would go with a honda, they are proven and durable. I wouldnt trade my 400ex for anything!:macho :devil

Also if ya ask me I think the z and kfx are uglyer than hell. Neon green and neon yellow?:huh :eek2:

trailburner
02-22-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
I agree, I would go with a honda, they are proven and durable. I wouldnt trade my 400ex for anything!:macho :devil

Also if ya ask me I think the z and kfx are uglyer than hell. Neon green and neon yellow?:huh :eek2:
true very true you know the EX is better looking, :eek2: :eek2: :D

trxex
02-22-2003, 08:05 PM
i agree the 400z is a good machine ,but its the most ugly gay looking quad out there!!

400EXrider#91
02-22-2003, 10:03 PM
400ex,you can never go wrong with a 400ex

OutlawEX
02-23-2003, 06:48 AM
id personally get a 400ex..A Z is having problems wit frames and stuff and for the KFX its 100% the same as the Z the only difference is the plastic color..But id personally push a EX before i get on a Z or KFX

RED121572
02-23-2003, 07:05 AM
Im gonna pick someones brain...lol

Are the Z's having problems when raced and abused or is the average trail rider experiencing frame probs as well??:D

02-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by RED121572

Are the Z's having problems when raced and abused or is the average trail rider experiencing frame probs as well??:D

dirtwheels said they bent the axle warming up the quad and just cruising around slow:huh then again thats dirtwheels so take what u want from it

02-23-2003, 07:23 AM
also if u go to z400central i bet they will say kfx/z but here they will say ex. i say ask at blutraxx:devil

RED121572
02-23-2003, 07:31 AM
According the dirtwheels, the axle is no stronger than a coat hanger? lol

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by RED121572
According the dirtwheels, the axle is no stronger than a coat hanger? lol

LOL, I dont doubt it. I do know that an EX can take a severe beating and still run like new, one of my best friends has a 99' 400ex and he beats the **** out of it and he has not had one porblem except for the usual things like bearings and missing screws, thats about it.

Impala400
02-23-2003, 09:14 AM
its up to you the Z/KFX axles have reportedly been fixed, but they still have the weak front section of the frame, if you plan on jumping alot i would either wait for the 04 z/kfx and hope they fixed the frame, or just get it and hope that the frame never breaks. Unless you think you want reverse more then anything get a Z other wise get the quad that has been threw these tests and not have to worry all that much.

i had the same decision and i decided a used 400ex, because dealer after dealer would not take any money off the price of a new Z/KFX so i said F-them and gave my money to a person that could use it more. thats my story and i am sticking to it

300exjuggalo
02-23-2003, 09:21 AM
ill probly get a 400ex i was just wonderin whut you guys had to say about it:macho

RED121572
02-23-2003, 09:26 AM
lol

RUFIO
02-23-2003, 02:08 PM
How many quad lenghs to z's get piped 400s by

trailburner
02-23-2003, 02:57 PM
look at my mods in my sig & i raced a bone stock Z from 1st gear roll to wound tight in 5th, I looked back and had him by about a truck length.....

zfire_28
02-23-2003, 03:36 PM
my piped ex w/ modified air box beat a stock z by about 2 quads

when his z was set up similar to my ex he beat me by about a half quad length. (drag racing only)

we raced many times with different results every time but on average I believe these are the average results. not really sure how far we were racn, prabably about 150-200 yards or so.

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by trailburner
look at my mods in my sig & i raced a bone stock Z from 1st gear roll to wound tight in 5th, I looked back and had him by about a truck length.....

I'd like to race a z to see where mine is at against it. I'm runnin about the same mods you are. But when i do my 416 kit their gunna be eatin my dust big time.:devil :macho :bandit:

blastersrule
02-23-2003, 04:58 PM
i dont like the way the z handles its top heavy and stuf, they are ugly too;)

renegade_400ex
02-23-2003, 07:01 PM
ya i also heard the axles are bad but i bent my 400ex axle a bit too now...:scary: i would still get the 400ex cause theyre bulletproof but the z400 is still yet to be seen. iwas at the numb bum 24hr ice race up here and there was 2 ex's and they were doing fine. the exs and the z400's looked like they were going a lot faster then the craptors and the bajas. i was kinda dissapionted by the predator that was there. man are they ugly:D

TREX400
02-23-2003, 07:32 PM
You are asking for a biased answer right???:huh The axle thing everyone brings up is a problem for all stock axles if you are getting big air. As for power the Z has 4 or 5 horsepower on the ex. The 400ex does seem to have more bottom end, I can pull a stock z thru 2nd. The best things about the Z is reverse and water cooled. The z responds to engine mods better than the 400ex. does... The 400ex is a proven durable machine, it has won baja 1000's basically stock just because it doesn't break down!! Kinda your choice... I'm waitn to see what Honda does next!!!!!!!!!

just my 2 cent.:D

roostu
02-23-2003, 07:44 PM
I like the fact that the z/kfx have liquid cooled engines BUT I would get a 400ex any day, they are reliable and handle great. Also if you must get a z/kfx wait another year or so until they can get the frame/axle problems worked out.

~Roost-U

Steve-o 400EX
02-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Just the looks of the z turned me away, plus I dont like the way that the axle carrier is built and a few other things i looked at before i got my ex. I'm glad I made the right decision!:macho

01TRX300EX
02-24-2003, 03:07 PM
I would personally go with the Z. If u ask me the 400EX looks old and outdated, and the way the lights are set together, it looks scared. While to me the Z looks very aerodynamic and ready to get up and go. Not to mention the liquid-cooling is always good as well as reverse. The axle problems have been fixed, I dont know why people still bring that up. If you race anything in MX, including a 400EX, your gonna have to strengthen the frame up. For casual riding, and even fast riding, the Z is fine.

bmx554
02-24-2003, 04:54 PM
get the kxf over the 400ex for sure. John Natalie was running one at Motorama this past weekend and smoked everyone in every class. He pulled many holeshots against CRF450's, yz426/440's and cannondales. It was awesome.

1fast400ex
02-24-2003, 05:45 PM
get the honda!! i have run about 10 zss in drags never lost all in stock classes. but did lose to the kow about a half a bike. but cut a sorry light!! also a friend just bought a new z bent his axle first time out in the woods. two months ago!!!!:mad:

Steve-o 400EX
02-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bmx554
get the kxf over the 400ex for sure. John Natalie was running one at Motorama this past weekend and smoked everyone in every class. He pulled many holeshots against CRF450's, yz426/440's and cannondales. It was awesome.

How modded up was this KFX. I dont believe for a second that it beat a dale. Those things are sick. Also, this john guy could just be really good a gettin of the line quick.

Whoever said the ex looks outdated and weird lookin compared to the z and kfx, i dont know what ur smokin :uhoh: :bandit: :tired: :eek2: :huh but i think the other two are messed up looking. Its all sharp jagged edges and its got a seat on there for someone with an *** the size of wyoming.:rolleyes: . They have also not stood up to the test of time yet, the ex has. I think i've about had enough of this thread.

Peace out!

Dune Surfer
02-25-2003, 09:33 AM
I have said it before, Get the Z. Don't get me wrong I love my ex. But...... the Z is faster , runs way cooler, has a modern engine, rides great, runs cooler, has a better power band, revs higher, higher compresion, runs cooler, lights are brighter, jumps well, feels more up tp date.
Sure the EX rides great and you can make it faster but it will cost you, plan on a piston and cam.. I ride both . Remember this is a EXriders site. What do you think the will tell you. Go to Z400central and they say buy a Z

Steve-o 400EX
02-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I have said it before, Get the Z. Don't get me wrong I love my ex. But...... the Z is faster , runs way cooler, has a modern engine, rides great, runs cooler, has a better power band, revs higher, higher compresion, runs cooler, lights are brighter, jumps well, feels more up tp date.
Sure the EX rides great and you can make it faster but it will cost you, plan on a piston and cam.. I ride both . Remember this is a EXriders site. What do you think the will tell you. Go to Z400central and they say buy a Z

Thats true about the biased oppinions, but i really do truely believe that the ex is a better machine. All my friends have either bough 400ex's or cannondales because we believe they are built better than the rest. JMO.

Personally if i had to choose between the z and kfx i would choose the z. As everyone knows, the kfx is a ripoff off the z i would buy a suzuki over a kawasaki any day.

Cannondale is another option right now. the prices are at rock bottom because they are bankrupt, but rebuilding the company. they are going for 5500 around me, the only downside is no warranty.

01TRX300EX
02-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Ok its my opinion that the Z looks better than the 400EX and that the 400 looks outdated. The Z's seat is freaking awesome, have you ever sat on one, they are sooooo comfortable. I'm not gonna try and argue though, your probably another Honda loyalist, and I know what its like talking to those types, like talking to a brick wall, you arent gonna get anywhere.

buckeye400ex
02-25-2003, 04:44 PM
I've ridden both a Z and I love my EX, however it's in the shop getting the big bore kit, cam and some other engine work to keep up. Dirtwheels also did a shootout between a Z440 and a 440EX, the Z smoked it every drag, on the track. Let's face it, it's a liquid cooled, hi revvin', smooth as silk motor. And it's NOT new, it's been in the DRZ400 dirtbike for years.

I would have no problem believing a pumped up Z or KFX would smoke a C-Dale. Stock for stock, no way, but that Z motor really runs well, especially after being modified to let it breath.

Get the green one, it looks better, identical to the Z though.
JMO

300exjuggalo
02-25-2003, 08:16 PM
you no whut wuold be teh **** well maybe:rolleyes: ... if you took a z or kfx 400 motor and put it in a 400ex:macho that would be pretty cool maybe:ermm:

Steve-o 400EX
02-26-2003, 08:41 AM
01TRX300EX, I am one of those honda loyalist, its my opinion that the ex looks better and all that. I was already kinda fired up when i wrote that post from another thread. No flame intended.

From what my dealer told me yesterday when my best friend and I went over to pick up his new 400ex, he told me that honda is working on a new liquid cooled 500cc 4wheeler, but there is no release date yet. He said honda is taking their time with it because the 400ex is still selling so well and they want to make a machine just as dependable as the 400ex. They want all the kinks worked out before it hits the showroom. Guarunteed that that honda goes back to the top of the latter when this is released.:blah

roostu
02-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Steve-o wouldent that be great? Man It's been to long since Honda was on top! I have also heard rumors about a 450ex from the dealer but dirtwheels shot that down as hype.......I wish Honda woud give us a clue....

~Roost-U

Steve-o 400EX
02-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by roostu
Steve-o wouldent that be great? Man It's been to long since Honda was on top! I have also heard rumors about a 450ex from the dealer but dirtwheels shot that down as hype.......I wish Honda woud give us a clue....

~Roost-U

It would be nice, i just hope they do it soon. I know that when they do come out with a new machine it will be the best and it will be reliable. I have a 1984 honda 3 wheeler and it still starts in one pull and it was really beat on over the years. Hope were cool after the last forum, i have a tendencey to get really hard headed.

roostu
02-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Steve-O yea were all good, no hard feeling I hope.
Yea thats the best part about Honda's when they come out with new bikes (motorcycles/atv's) they never have the problems you hear about with other new quads, like the z400/kfx, or the raptor. when Honda releases a quad it's bulletproof from day one!

Yea I have had a trx125 (85 i think, no suspensin,LOL) and it was my fathers company quad for 8 years before I got it...man that thing was awsome, it was so reliable and fun it was amazing...and the first quad motor I ever rebuilt. It was pretty quick also because i remember being able to beat up on my buddies 2 atc185s's!

~Roost-U

Steve-o 400EX
02-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Yea my atc 200s has no suspension. We were beating on it since we were 5 and it still runs like new. We rolled it more times than I can remember LOL.

zroost
02-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Tisk tisk tisk...I guess we are going have to meet at towercity for a nice drag between the Z and your 400...best out of 3...what do you say? I know you remember me..bought the 300ex for my son.
Didnt know u had such horrible thoughts about the Z..See ya at towercity I hope..And to think I was going to let you use my campsite and trailer....Only kiddin u guys can use it anytime..

rigged400ex
02-26-2003, 03:59 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ya thats crap go log in to z400central:rolleyes:

rigged400ex
02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Ok its my opinion that the Z looks better than the 400EX and that the 400 looks outdated. The Z's seat is freaking awesome, have you ever sat on one, they are sooooo comfortable. I'm not gonna try and argue though, your probably another Honda loyalist, and I know what its like talking to those types, like talking to a brick wall, you arent gonna get anywhere.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the z400 looks better if your drunk, take off your beer gogles:rolleyes:

01TRX300EX
02-26-2003, 05:09 PM
[i]the z400 looks better if your drunk, take off your beer gogles:rolleyes: [/B]

Ok, its very obvious you are honda loyalist and probably support communism since you don't believe other's should have their own opinions. How about this; Hail the almighty Honda, I bow before your magnificent presence! Now quite obviously I don't believe that, I remember when I used to be a Honda loyalist, yeah then I realized that other brands had better products, and now I can see the light, maybe one day you will to.

Steve-o, no hard feelings, I understand, I'd rather have a discussion about it with someone more mature like you rather than rigged400EX over there.

dirty_d73
02-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Go with the KFX400 they flat out fly i rode one the other day, and they go. It killed a raptor. They sound like a great bike if i was gettn a new one that would be it. but i love hondas to death, but i also love reverse. :eek2:

oakharbor400ex
11-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I beat a z400 all stock with my stock 400ex by like 4 quads and we aer both good riders!

oakharbor400ex
11-19-2005, 11:24 AM
I think the z and kfx are lookin like space ships people overrate them just because ov water colling wich is nice by too much to woory about!
:chinese: <z400

11-19-2005, 08:30 PM
dudes.. this post is wayyy to old... lol

ommkevin
11-20-2005, 11:42 AM
id pick the dvx over all them

it looks the best and is a good machine

texasame
12-09-2005, 07:37 PM
400ex is the way to go

MoToX199
12-10-2005, 07:58 AM
all og you guys are complaing about the frame problems,and now for 05 and newer they have gusseted frames so they took careof that problem,axle is a lil weak on them but most ppl end up putting on extened axles anyway so it will get replaced,i used to have a 465ex and the thing was *****in,but now i sold that for the dvx,no matter what i did to that 400 it will still come up short if i put that money into my dvx,i mean if i had a z with a 450 kit and a 400ex with a 465 the z would win hands down,no matter what you do the z will be faster,the 400ex is gettin old now,i also have a stock 400ex and my dvx is stock and the power difference is huge! the dvx pulls way harder,and also the 400ex isnt liquid cooled,now days basically every sport quad is liquid cooled,also the 400ex doesnt come with rezzie shocks,read dirtwheels they had a test with the c'dal440,z400,and the 400ex,the z400 won hands down,also in another issue they tested a z400 agianst a raptor and the z400 won again,now if that doesnt say some then the your messed up,so i would say go with the z400,you will never regret it

MoToX199
12-10-2005, 10:19 AM
if you dont like the looks of a z the get a dvx,looks better the the 400ex and the z