PDA

View Full Version : DRR to Eton Swap on Tranny Gears

JustinBoots
07-26-2011, 05:28 AM
I thought I had seen somewhere on this forum where someone was going to press the shaft out of the driven gear(Eton), the sprocket rides on, and press in a DRR shaft so you can run an APEX/Eton gear ratio with a slipper clutch. Has anyone done that? I see there is a center drill in the shaft and its a two-piece, but wondering if anyone actually has done it. I accidentally bought this eton gear set not realizing the shaft wasn't threaded so now trying to make the best of it.

nastynotchback1
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
i have done it alot.I use to run only e-ton gears but have since switched to drr style with a slipper.the gears will just push in and out but may require a slight tap of a hammer.There are different gear ratios and some will not mesh so be careful with that

JustinBoots
07-26-2011, 08:43 AM
I might not have described what I want to do accurately. I want to actually take the gear ring off of the eton shaft and put it on a DRR shaft. I assume the OD of the shaft is the same since I can swap them between the DRR and Eton and its a two-piece assembly, just not sure if it would require more than my 12-ton press to separate the ring from the shaft.

Maybe I would be better off buying the Apex 36T gear since it will accept a slipper and it should mate with the 12T Eton main gear. I just already spent the dinero on this gear and I have a messed up DRR gear in the toolbox.

wrhracing
07-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Your press should be able to do it. You may want to fuse the two pieces together afterward. It is a interference fit so if you can heat up the gear that the shaft will be pushed into this may help. You generally only get one shot at it.
I use a heat gun not a torch.

JustinBoots
07-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks man! I'll give the heat gun a try first. Can't wait to get off work and give it a try.

nastynotchback1
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM
The only way i would do that is if i could tig weld them together after i changed it.I feel like it will not hold after you change it out.

JustinBoots
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
I figure I'll do a MIG tack on opposite sides of the face for security and grind it smooth to reduce chance of balancing issues. If the press tolerances are tight I don't think there would be an issue and sounds like Billy has done it before so at least I know its possible. Nothing really to lose, but time. If it makes it through practice then I'll be home free. :)

wrhracing
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Tig is what I was referring to when I said Fuse them together. In the early days we use to drill and pin them together.

chunky0071
07-26-2011, 03:46 PM
If you turn your mig real high and tach one side and grind off the spot it is the same as the tig.

JustinBoots
07-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Gear and shaft separated very easily with my press. Now what in the heck did I do with that broken gear I had lying around? hmmmmm.... :)