PDA

View Full Version : New clutch pack stalls engine... ?

Daddy-=ENDO=-
07-25-2011, 11:39 PM
We have a Baja Storm 125 ( the 'new Extreme' ) that burnt the clutches BEYOND CRISP. Anyway, got the new 17 tooth auto-clutch assembly today and installed it tonight. Everything went in nice and smooth and then after backing off the clutch-adjusting screw, it shifts through the gears real crisp.
However... after firing her up (sits, idles and runs fine in neutral) and shifting into first gear (engages) with the brakes on, it stalls the engine immediately.

Any ideas on what went wrong?

Do I need to give the clutches time to become lubricated?

should I have pre-soaked the clutches before installation?

Maybe I screwed up the timing of the shift lever ?

I'm lost here and I'm not looking forward to tearing it apart again, but I know I must. I would just like to get an idea of where to look when I do open her back up....

thanks in advance.

Daddy-=ENDO=-
07-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Hmmm, something I said ?

deathman53
07-28-2011, 04:29 AM
well... its a Chinese brand to start with. new clutch plates soak for atleast an hour. its locking up, thats why its stalling. maybe release the parking brake ans see if it does?

400exrip
08-12-2011, 06:34 AM
I always soak my clutches overnight in a sealed plastic container.

What happened if you did not soak them overnight is it probably went out there with the friction plates not being soaked good ,and got hot real fast.

If you did not mess them up, I would take them back out soak them overnight then put them back in.

Daddy-=ENDO=-
08-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Well got it figured it out after taking the clutch pack back out a 5th time and tearing it down a 3rd time and then stareing at it for about 20 minutes on the bench.... The new pack had the wrong center 'cog' in it. The pack I recieved was evidently for a fully automatic 120cc rather than this semi-auto 'clutch-o-matic' as I call them. Swapped the center cog for the original, and it all works like a sweet dream !

Thanks for helpful tips about soaking the frictions, that was something I originally over-looked.

400exrip
08-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh yeah it is no such thing as over soaking your clutches I just soak mine overnight. cause that is enough soaking for me.

The pit crews for pro atv racers if you ever get a chance to look in one of their big rig trailers they already have clutches soaking in plastic containers ready to go!

So when they have to change clutches at the track they just pull them out of the oil and put them into the bike and go out for the next moto. They probably been soaking in oil for a week.

Cause they ain't got time to sit around and wait for no clutches to soak they got to roll out there,and get that job done fast.