PDA

View Full Version : which mx tire?

tants
02-22-2003, 05:20 PM
ive only herd good things about grooved turftammers and grooved radials for mx. i plan on ordering them soon, but with all this snow/rain we've been having the conditions of the begg of race season will be very muddy. will turfs/radials be horrible in muddy conitions? also should i just go with holeshot mx's because ive herd there good all around (soft/muddy,hard conditions) thanks!

ny300exrider
02-22-2003, 05:25 PM
i heard grooved tamers will do good in the mud if they are grooved right. i know im getting tamers and ill probly end up grooving them too.idk im getting them for a good deal so it dont matta to me lol

Sparks425Ex
Grooved Tamers and Radials are what I run and I love them. They work great in everything.

grooved radials are a hard pack only tire. tamers are good in looser stuff only if there grooved. if not there not so great

DaveEX7
02-22-2003, 05:28 PM
ITP Holeshot MX (18x11x8)

tants
Originally posted by QuadMX18
grooved radials are a hard pack only tire. tamers are good in looser stuff only if there grooved. if not there not so great

so your saying radials on hardpacked/dry conitions, turfs either hard packs or "looser stuff", so would the holeshots or razzrs be more for mud?

should i just buy turfs/radials for when its dry, and holeshots or razzrs for when its muddy? :confused:

how much money u got ? 2 full sets of tires:eek2:

i would run holeshot mx's in front and grooved tamers in the rear. its a good all around cuz the fronts can handle a little mud and the rears can too and still work great on hardpack

tants
02-22-2003, 05:30 PM
how much money u got ?

im low. id be lucky to have my quad the way i want it by racing season.

02-22-2003, 05:30 PM
maybe u should try the new rear kendas>

250rmike
02-22-2003, 05:48 PM
id go with the mx razr's i dont know why but i just like the razr's better than holshots for any type of tire. i beleive razr's are the best tires

Mxbubs
02-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
ITP Holeshot MX (18x11x8)

I just got the BRAND NEW itp holeshots 18x10x9's.....I like the looks of them. They also make an 18x10x8 now.

I have had radials and tamers before. I dont like them. The radials dont turn as good in wet/powdery/or rough conditions, but they turn great on smooth hard pack perfect surfaces, which you dont find alot. I dont like the turf tamers because they dont last near as long as the ITP's if you groove them, however they are much cheaper. I like the ITP tires, front and back.:cool:

TC17
02-22-2003, 06:04 PM
i just ordered some ITP Holeshot MX 20's that should be in by Monday no later than the end of the week hopefully.

DaveEX7
02-23-2003, 10:26 AM
I've had my Razr 2's for about 2 months now, and I ride everyday. And they have as much tread on them as when I got them, but I don't know of anyone that uses them for MX.

02-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Razr's - Decent, wear kind of quicker, get mudpacked sometimes, and are't the best for the amount of money, sucks at corners...
Holeshot's and MX's - Dont wear quick, long lasting trust me!, dont get mudpacked too often, rip around the croners and i mean rip, and very good for the mount of money
Turf's, get mudpacked quick unless you groove them right, wear kind of quick, good mx tire, rips around the corner pretty good

02-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Front's I heard the fornt holeshot's wear kind of quicer but work like a charm, my grooved radials and other people's have said they are the ebst which i agree on for MX, front razr's I have no clue...

tants
02-23-2003, 11:14 AM
i only have enough money for turfs/radials or holeshots. it will only be real muddy in the begg. of the season due to all the snow/rain. if i get holeshots will they still do just as good as tammers would on the dry stuff? :confused:

turfs/radials or holeshots? :confused: :confused:

02-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Get Holeshot MX's for the rear, and Front radials grooved if you can afford it, if not get rear turf's grooved --- >cheaper, and radials grooved.

DaveEX7
02-23-2003, 12:13 PM
So Lathers, for MX you say that the Razr's dont do too good?, and Holeshots are better for MX and dont wear quick at all..... so do you think that you could leave your Holeshots on for normal trail riden or are they better for MX then anything?

02-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by SpeedDemin85
So Lathers, for MX you say that the Razr's dont do too good?, and Holeshots are better for MX and dont wear quick at all..... so do you think that you could leave your Holeshots on for normal trail riden or are they better for MX then anything?

Well you can race razr's mx but there not the best, you can get better ones for the same price. Holeshot MX's are very good for mx and I mean very good. You can ride holeshot's or holeshot's on trail riding also they dont wear fast riding trails either.. Holeshot's are a very good all around tire. I think Holeshot MX rear is the best mx tire out and the front radials grooved..

modracer5
02-23-2003, 12:23 PM
i run 18x11x8 shredders on the rear and and radials on the front. shredders seem to work as good as the tamers. my .02 worth.

Sparks425Ex
02-23-2003, 12:24 PM

Then why are they ranked the #1 Hardpack tire then?

You are messed up. Holeshots are for loose stuff adn Tamers are for Hard Pack. If ya groove tamers they will hook up in anything. I have been running them for years...

02-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Nacs425ex
Then why are they ranked the #1 Hardpack tire then?

You are messed up. Holeshots are for loose stuff adn Tamers are for Hard Pack. If ya groove tamers they will hook up in anything. I have been running them for years...

Radials can be used for anything, dont want to really go mudding with them though haha. Turf's can be used for mx and hard pack same for holeshot's both work good

stocktires
02-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Holeshot MXR, its the new Holeshot tires that is supposed to be a whole 1.5lb lighter!
The tires depend COMPLETELY on the track conditions.
Tamers/radials = hard pack
holeshot = med packed
razr mx = soft track

thats a GENERAL statement, the holeshots are good for all tracks, its the tire you want if your gonna be riding many different terrains...

crap-banshee32
02-23-2003, 05:35 PM
turf tamers!!!!

Mxbubs
02-23-2003, 05:37 PM
I agree 100% with Stocktires....I really like my ITP holeshots, Im glad I went with them..... I was going to get tamers again, but Broque Ward Racing got the itp mxr's for me really cheap.....I was told by ITP they expect to outsale all other MX tire makers with the new MXR's.