PDA

View Full Version : Laeger Steering Stem Mount Hardware?

stever250r
07-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Couldn't find this anywhere and since several others out there have been building Laeger Quads I am sure someone can tell me what mount hardware to use for the Laeger Steering Stem.

I am thinking that the design eliminates the need for the lower collar but I just wanted to be sure about that.. So do I just need a bolt and a washer big enough to hit the steel lip where the lower Dust Seal is installed? That doesn't seem right to me either because then the washer would want to bind or spin against whatever it was tightened down against.. Maybe the collar is required?... I am lost here....

Can someone tell me how to do this, and if it requires that I order the Hardware from Laeger's?

bigmatt61
07-25-2011, 08:13 PM
No, It DOES NOT eliminate the need for the collar. You need the collar!
The bolt shoulders the collar. The collar is riding inside the dust seal and on the inner race of the bearing. The bearing is held in place by the clip. Thus when you pull up or turn the bars the bearing stays in place and allows freedom of side to side movement and the clip keeps you from pulling it all out.

stever250r
07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Thank you Matt...I dont have a collar at the moment so I wasn't sure. I assume by what you are saying that the collar extends slightly past the tapped end of the stem and the bolt will tighten down against the collar pinching it against the inner race of the bearing.

The bolt holds the collar, the collar prevents the stem from pulling through the inner race of the bearing, and the c-clip prevents everything from being pulled out at once....

Makes sense to me now...I couldnt get around thinking that the bolt had to hold the stem.... not the collar... DUHHHH..

Thank you