PDA

View Full Version : What The Heck Could This Be ?!?!

quadgod440ex
02-22-2003, 04:35 PM
ii have a 02 400ex ....bought it around november...i wanted to strip everything and get the frame powdercoated...well i stripped the hole front end electrics everything excep the motor and the swingarm.....as i go to take the swingarm bolt out IT WONT MOVE! not the sligtest bit and yes i no im going the right way im not that dumb....it wont budge at all i used an air gun which moved it and the nut is off but the actual bolt with not come out ive hit it with a happen for probley and hour straight didnt move the slightest little bit....air gun didnt move it at all either the air gun makes it move freely but the bolt wot actually come out and i need to get that out to get the motor out WHAT could this be?? any way anyone could help me out on getting it out ?? any sugestions thanks guys

QuadTrix6
02-22-2003, 04:55 PM
it spins but wont come out?

quadgod440ex
02-22-2003, 04:56 PM
yes... i even hit it with a sledge hammer and it cracked and it wont move...there isnt a pin or something isthere?

QuadTrix6
02-22-2003, 05:03 PM
i have heard that they seize up and stuff and rico had to get his laser cut out.

speedy400
02-24-2003, 03:29 PM
oooh boy, i feel sorry for you, i had the same problem with the 98 banshee, the bolt just Didnt move, i'm guessing you havn't greased it in awhile, we tried heating it, thats the 1st step, ours didnt budge, so after HOURS of getting more and more mad.we ended up getting our saws-all and cutting bolth sides inbetween the frame and the edge of the swingarm,we dont really remember how we got the bolt itself out of the swingarm(the edges just fell out) , this was a few years back, but anyways the bolt was crewed up HORRABLY, and the inside of the swingarm was so bad we had to have a guy hone it, and then we just replaced all the brearings and stuff, and its good as new. good luck man.-any Q's shoot me a PM

Rip_Tear
02-24-2003, 03:36 PM
This seems to happen to a lot of people. I wouild definately suggest taking your swing arm off atleast once a year... Mine better come of nice and easy! :D Here hoping. Good luck with yours.

quadgod440ex
02-24-2003, 03:38 PM
thanks for all the help if i were you i would take it off soon and grease it so that this doesnt happen cause it is a pain in the arse

TEAMPHIL
02-25-2003, 10:34 PM
I've had this same problem before. It turned out to the bearings going bad causing a groove in the pivot bolt preventing it from coming out. It finally had to be drilled out at a machine shop. not a fun experience.

02-26-2003, 08:11 AM
There are spacers that the pivot bolt go thru..these spacers rest inside the swingarm and press against the needle bearings...well after a long time,,those spacers seize/rust/corrode to the pivot bolt and that's when things turn ugly... I had to have mine cut out with a plasma cutter.:eek: I sprayed it down with antisieze for 5 days straight,,beat it with a hammer, a punch, a 10 lb sledge hammer and it never moved..well it moved a little but that was the frame starting to spread...:eek2: Odds are you'll have to cut it out..or use a torch to heat it up while someone else beats on it..but be carefule with the heat because the bolt runs thru the back of your frame..:( Here's how my pivot bolt removal started out like....:eek:

twisted threads
02-27-2003, 04:17 AM
I know how you fill Rico. When I first got my R the swing arm bolt was seized up and I hit it with every thing I had and It didnt move. So me and my dad cut it out with a saws-all. What I hate about that you got to pay a arm and a leg for a stupid bolt. So I make sure that bolt comes out of each of my bikes a few times a year. I just took my swing arm bolt out of my R this last weekend and I didnt even half to use a hammer, I just pulled to out. IT WAS SO NICE!:cool: :D

GNCC#829
02-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Cost me about 200 bucks to get mine out when it did that. Now I take it out and never-seize it every time I change the oil. It only takes about 5 minutes to take it out and put it back in.

02-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Or tap a grease zerk on one end..cap the other end with a bead of weld,,then drill to small holes in the pivot bolt were the spacers are at,,,walla..you just grease the mofo up all the time and rotate it and you never gotta take it out again..:D

Rip_Tear
02-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Good idea Rico. Mine better come out this time so I can do that... :D