PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying this R, need some advice.

TRUTH
07-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Hey guys,
I build quads as a hobby, I have fun tearing them down and making them better. I have owned alot of 450s, but I have always wanted a 250R. Its been so long since I've ridden a 250 I dont even remember what it feels like.. which is a tradgedy. I am looking at an R to purchase. The guy has it listed as having "LT arms" and a "racing swingarm" but no specifics. Could some of the more knowledgable guys here help me out? What brand are the arms and swinger? The front end doesnt "look" LT to me, but I am not real familiar with the R front ends. Any and all info the highly informed can share with me based on the pictures will be greatly beneficial! Thanks, Frank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/TRUTH609/250r4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/TRUTH609/250r3.jpg

TRUTH
07-24-2011, 08:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/TRUTH609/250r2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/TRUTH609/250r1.jpg

danhung11
07-24-2011, 08:48 AM
It looks like a nice quad. The front arms look like ST Burgard to me. It's got a full set of PEP's which is nice. The wheels and tires look good. Sparks silencer, what's done to the motor? appears to be a nice gussetted 88-89 frame. Swingarm looks OEM. Does it have aftermarket carrier and antifade? Its a nice bike, I'd guess the asking price is $3500-4000? Just remember to check the frame for cracks, etc.

TRUTH
07-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Thank you for the help dan, I really appreciate it! He said in his email the motor is " powdercoated, highly ported .20 over cyl with cool head" no more specific than that. I asked him some detailed questions, but have not heard back yet. He says "widened adj axle with cooling locknut". He is asking around $3700 for the machine. The going rate for a nice stock framed R seems to be $3000-3500 or so. I like the PEPs, but do not like them being passed off as LT and a stock swinger being passed off as an aftermarket unit. Here is an angle that might show you the swingarm better. Thannks again! Frank
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/TRUTH609/250r5.jpg

Rich250RRacer
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by TRUTH
Thank you for the help dan, I really appreciate it! He said in his email the motor is " powdercoated, highly ported .20 over cyl with cool head" no more specific than that. I asked him some detailed questions, but have not heard back yet. He says "widened adj axle with cooling locknut". He is asking around $3700 for the machine. The going rate for a nice stock framed R seems to be $3000-3500 or so. I like the PEPs, but do not like them being passed off as LT and a stock swinger being passed off as an aftermarket unit. Here is an angle that might show you the swingarm better. Thannks again! Frank
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/TRUTH609/250r5.jpg

The swingarm is definitely not stock, but I'm not sure what brand it is. Need more close-up pics to determine that. Doesn't look to be long-travel front though, but I could be wrong on that.

superman
07-24-2011, 10:37 AM
The swingarm looks to be a Lonestar, if you look at the very first pic of the LH side of the bike, you can see that the rear chain guide holder back near the rear sprocket in made out of round stock, that is a design very common with Lonestars swingarms.

wilkin250r
07-24-2011, 11:20 AM
PEPs all around and aftermarket swinger definitely add value, but $3500 still seems a little high for stock frame and stock cylinder.

A lack of information, or incorrect information, is a real problem if you ask me. "highly ported" is a silly description, and I would definitely ask for more details on that guy. If it has a drag port, you're going to need to redo the entire top end to make it sellable.

And the front end definitely doesn't look long travel to me. Spend a few minutes looking through 250r pictures, you'll see that if the arms are straight, long-travel shocks generally mount below the arms. If they mount above, the arms generally have a gull-wing shape to them.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/blee0303/TRX250R/bleetrx250r-51006002.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t206/lathersr/DSCI0050.jpg http://www.atvriders.com/images/qotm/2010/feb/chad-donovan-hill-blue-honda-trx250r-atv-front.jpg http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/fiveOnick/250R/IMG_0040.jpg

Honda5
07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
The rear wheels don't match (shame on you Dan for not catching that) the swingarm is a Lonestar. Where is that quad located? Looks like one I have seen befor.

250Renvy
07-24-2011, 01:44 PM
It looks like a decent quad, but if you plan to rebuild it, that price is way to high.

You're going to have to get it for around $2500-$2800.

A normal person that just wants something to ride right out of the gate could pay as high as $3K, but that could even be high in this market. It's a buyers market. There are much better deals out there. Although if you have to have one right away, then you might pay more.

My guess is swingarm and a-arms are lonestar, probably the stem too. Shocks are standard length. Beadlocks in the rear look to be omf, possibly omf baja style in the front.

Honda5
07-24-2011, 01:49 PM
No it has a rear beadlock

superman
07-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Good catch Honda 5! A single rear beadlock on the RH side, he must have been doin some oval track qualifying with MX tires!! :D

TRUTH
07-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Hahah good eyes guys! The guy told me a long story about the single beadlock. He was up front about that. I am in no way shape or form in a rush. I have no problem waiting for the right deal. We are actually in discussion of a trade and I have a few decent prospects, but nothing that I really really want. I do not mind waiting for the right machine.

89rebel
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
I saw that quad on craigslist somewhere, cant remember where. But I got $3500 last winter for my '89 with brand new motor top to bottom, fmf exaust, triple rate comp adj elka's and oem fenders in great shape. All it really needed was a rear shock rebuild. I think that quad is nice but $2k-$2,500 might be reasonable. times are still tough and these are not exactly necessities

sand_blaster
07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
It has alot of good things going for it, full bores, lsr & curtis sparks. Try to get it for $3000

mx Eli
07-25-2011, 04:37 PM
3200ish would be a good price i think,

p.s. if u buy it and switch to lt front i'b be interested in the front shocks:devil:

skyeryder
07-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I agree for that price if you look long enough you can find a aftmkt framed R

TRUTH
07-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! I have passed on that R and found another. I have a trade deal lined up for this sunday. I will be selling some parts off of it, so keep an eye on the classifieds. A +4 eyeball engineering chrome swinger, ESR centermount pipe, LSR std travel arms and works pro series all around and full set of red plastics with graphics will be some of the items up for grabs. I'm super excited to build an eye popping 2stroke!!

danhung11
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Could you post some details/pics of this bike you are going to trade for? In my opinion, the bike you posted was in pretty good condition just looking at it. The wheels/tires, plastic, pipe/silencer, and shocks, would probably bring over the $2k range alone. Just my $0.02.

I paid $3300 for my first R, it was a POS when I got it but had some nice stuff on it. But nothing in comparison to what you posted.

Good luck!
Dan

TRUTH
07-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the help Dan, I really appreciate it. The one I am trading for is an 88 R with an ESR 330 PV motor with 6 hours on it, ESR centermount pipe, 38mm mikuni, ESR airbox elim, ESR brake and shift lever, hydro clutch, asv break lever, moose throttle, durablue axle and hubs, eyeball eng +4 swingarm, LSR std travel arms, works pro series all around, new rims and tires. The pics I have are small, but it looks extremely clean. I would be setting it up for play/mx so i'd be selling or trading some of the parts. If everything is in good clean solid shape, would you value this machine around the $3500 mark? Thanks! Frank.

TRUTH
07-26-2011, 02:15 PM
pics

TRUTH
07-26-2011, 02:16 PM
pic

danhung11
07-26-2011, 02:58 PM
In my opinion, I'd take the 1st bike if prices were the same. The 2nd bike doesn't look like a full out duner to me, and does not look setup as nice as the 1st picture. The PEP shocks on the first bike is nice, along with a nice gusseted frame, etc. The wheels and tires look nicer, the Sparks pipe is one of the nicer setups for stock bore to mild overbores. Also, it has the FullBore Plastics, etc. Both bikes have aftermarket antifades, etc, looks like the first bike has a wide aftermarket axle also.

Those ESR powerpackages are priced pretty low these days, so don't let that sucker you into a deal. This is all my opinion, I've had a few 250R's come through my garage so it's the things that really add up. If that first bike was parted, it would bring the asking price at least.

If you have a chance to see both of them in person, go for it and bring a wad of cash. It's crazy what folks will do when the see a stack of bejamins! :p

turdboy
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
I say bike numer one too, it has a lot of nice things going for it.

TRUTH
07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Dan,
I have been doing alot of reading and research on this site and your opinion is very valuable to me. I had pretty much decided it was a done deal with the ESR330, now I am unsure. I will contact the guy with the PEP one and see if he is still interested. Ill keep everyone posted on what deal goes down. Thanks! Frank.

TRUTH
07-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I have tried 3 times to post this pic, if it is showing up a bunch of times, I apologize.

danhung11
07-26-2011, 08:15 PM
No problem Frank, just trying to help you identify some items on your potential R. I am not trying to talk you out of either bike, let's be clear. You need to pick which bike is set up for your style of riding. The last pic you posted of the 2nd bike shows motor detail as to what is there. It has a nice setup, but what are the specifics? I can't see if it's a 5-11-9-7 pipe, what porting? Check out the link below, those topends are "fairly" inexpensive these days, and ESR's pipes etc are always competitively priced. Tom will work with you on pricing.

http://www.eddie-sanders-racing.com/product_p/330%20power%20valve%20cylinder.htm

The frame on the 2nd bike appears to have some guessets, as well. I haven't had a stock frame in a while, but that doesn't look like the factory line coming down by the foot peg. As far as my choice, I'd still take the first bike over the 2nd. Can't beat top of the line shocks in my opinion, that would suit my riding style more. Both quads look to be in decent shape, the 1st one is simply dirty, it appears.

socal
07-27-2011, 09:17 AM
If you were going to leave them close to the way you bought them,the 1st one def...Since it sounds like you will be doing a tear down on either machine,either would be o.k...You have to try to figure out which one has the parts that would fetch you the most $$$...But like stated before,people do strange things withe green in front of them!

TRUTH
07-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Thank you very much for the help guys! I will be tearing whichever machine I get down and making it the way I want it to be. I will be setting it up as an mx/play quad. Id like good low/mid accel and a wide low stance along with good quality susp. Dan, are you suggesting that the 2nd quad may have an aftermarket frame or a modified (beyond simple gusseting) stock frame? I will be calling the gentlemen with the 2nd quad tonight to discuss specifics. It is looking like the 1st guy is no longer interested in a deal. I'll keep everyone posted! I will also find out which pipe and porting it has and report back tonigh. Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated! Frank.

danhung11
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Both frames look stock. Buy both if you have the cash, consolidate the parts, etc, and sell off the rest.

socal
07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Thank you very much for the help guys! I will be tearing whichever machine I get down and making it the way I want it to be. I will be setting it up as an mx/play quad. Id like good low/mid accel and a wide low stance along with good quality susp. Dan, are you suggesting that the 2nd quad may have an aftermarket frame or a modified (beyond simple gusseting) stock frame? I will be calling the gentlemen with the 2nd quad tonight to discuss specifics. It is looking like the 1st guy is no longer interested in a deal. I'll keep everyone posted! I will also find out which pipe and porting it has and report back tonigh. Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated! Frank. Mx/play,check out my MX build thread!I went with the +4 Laeger LT A-arms.You said you werent too familiar with the Rs front end.This is just a FYI,to get to the MX 50" width you need +3 or +4 arms (yes per side)...Just so you dont make the same mistake as me and order +2s like the 450s we came from!:D Kinda premature but I wish I would have known!:mad:

TRUTH
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Gorgeous socal! Thanks for the heads up! I will be trading a 450 for the R, so I can't buy both and consolidate.. I wish I could! I talked the the owner of the 330pv, it has the TRX7 porting and the TRX5 pipe, a 38mm TMX flatslide carb. It has a complete new barnett clutch also. The combo would work perfect for my style of riding I think. He said the frame was gusseted by the previous owner and was done well in his opinion. The deal is still tentatively planned for sunday. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

socal
07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Cool,just be cautious when a seller says things like,it has a "new"...anything internal...It very well could but you never know!

TRUTH
08-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Update guys, the 330 ESR PV guy bailed on our deal. At the last minute he "lost his ride" to meet up. I am currently back at square 1 in my search for an R....

turdboy
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I see you are in WI, check out Minneapolis craigslist for R's. I know there a lot on there especially ATC's, but maybe something will interest you. My old R was on there listed at $2650 located in (Lonsdale).

TRUTH
08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Im def not looking for an ATC. I have looked on craigslist, not coming up with anything promising. Frank.

TRUTH
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Just an update on my R search.. I sold my 450 yesterday, so I got a stack of 30 Hundos and I'm on the hunt for the right R... The first one I posted is still avail, but I feel a bit iffy spending 3gs on it. I am considering offering him less. The second one I posted is still avail and he would take $2800 ish for it. As of now, I'm searching hard for the right R. I'll post up if I find a nice one! Frank.

TLR-Online
08-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Just an update on my R search.. I sold my 450 yesterday, so I got a stack of 30 Hundos and I'm on the hunt for the right R... The first one I posted is still avail, but I feel a bit iffy spending 3gs on it. I am considering offering him less. The second one I posted is still avail and he would take $2800 ish for it. As of now, I'm searching hard for the right R. I'll post up if I find a nice one! Frank.

I like the first one for some reason... it just has that "look". Plus it has some nice quality parts that are a little more expensive than the average upgrades.

Offer him less.... or go look at the bike and see what you think. Just looking at it should tell you a lot, follow your gut feeling.

TRUTH
08-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Update guys,
I think I found the R I am going to pull the trigger on, the motor has a complete rebuild new piston, cylinder, crank bearings, tranny gears, new outer cases, both sides, brand new pwk carb, cylinder is ported with stock bore, vforce reed setup, full curtis sparks pipe. The chassis has, PEP ST front shocks fresh rebuild, and powdercoat on springs, rear is PEP modified, new lonestar a-arms, steering stem, and axle (stock swinger), also has brand new laker custom plastics, handle bars, boysen shock out grips w/thumb throttle(has anti vibration dampning inside grips, reduce vibration, and also has a better thumbthrottle). Almost new kenda klaw tires, brand new ac nerf bars and rath front bumper, new brake lines clutch lever, etc. The guy works at a quad shop and said he tore it down and rebuilt it from the tranny down to new bolts to "better than new" We agreed on $2900. Looks like a real nice quad!

89trx250r
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?location=54981&maxDist=200&region_us=1&search_string=trx250r&keytype=adv&Region=na&cityselect=zip&page=0&showeb=1&category=8&subcat=sss&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

this guys 250r looks pretty nasty but its 200 miles 1 way from your zipcode hes asking 3500 obo tho you could probably offer like 2700 its got what looks to be a longtravel front end with axis shocks maybe an old sparks "works" pipe?

TRUTH
08-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey,
Thanks for the link, but I am not sure which one you are talking about.Tthere are alot of quads in the link you posted.Frank.

89trx250r
08-18-2011, 10:54 PM
sorry i thought that was the direct link...if you scroll down look for michigan-upper peninsula then it says 250r,450rand enclosed trailer 1$ if you click the link theres a few pics and the guys phone number.

TLR-Online
08-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Here it is: http://up.craigslist.org/rvs/2524865450.html

Has some big money parts... but looks like it was rode hard.

TRUTH
08-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks man, I texted him.. Looks pretty nice.

DoonRider
08-19-2011, 01:11 PM
That one (and other stuff) is in the for sale section here too, if you want to PM him.

TRUTH
08-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Guys,
If anyone comes across an after market framed, long travel susp R, please drop me a pm. I'm always looking and willing to wait for the "right" one. Thanks! Frank.