PDA

View Full Version : help no spark agian

dirtycj5
07-22-2011, 08:17 PM
88 250r stock ignition. wiring is simple no lights

i tryed 2 different stators both checked out ok both were on running quads

check all the wiring

followed the troubleshooting guide in the manual checked continuity and resistance form the cdi plugs

i tryed 3 cdi's.... (is there a way to test them)

flywheel key is good

even tryed 2 different flywheels

any ideas???????????????
thanks

sand_blaster
07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Try a new spark plug cap? Im having spark issues cause of a bad cap. I heard if its good it makes a snap sound when it goes on the plug.

dirtycj5
07-22-2011, 08:42 PM
i also checked that too it snaps on tight. i really think i have bad cdi's i even tryed tapping in the cdi

wilkin250r
07-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by dirtycj5
i tryed 3 cdi's.... (is there a way to test them)
No way to test them. Imagine trying to test whether or not your hard drive is good on your computer, you're not going to be able to check it with a simple multimeter.

Check the pulse coil mounting, make sure it's not too far way from the flywheel.

DnB_racing
07-22-2011, 10:33 PM
check the red wire at the cdi plug, make sure that the plug doesnt look black or corroded,

also with key on and in run position make sure you DONT have any contnuity to ground on the black/white striped wire

dirtycj5
07-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
No way to test them. Imagine trying to test whether or not your hard drive is good on your computer, you're not going to be able to check it with a simple multimeter.

Check the pulse coil mounting, make sure it's not too far way from the flywheel.

How far does it have to be? I don't think I seen anything in the manual

dirtycj5
07-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
check the red wire at the cdi plug, make sure that the plug doesnt look black or corroded,

also with key on and in run position make sure you DONT have any contnuity to ground on the black/white striped wire

Plugs are clean. I don't have a key switch but I'm running my kill switch off that wire b/w

dirtycj5
07-23-2011, 02:03 AM
I also have a good running Stator out of a 85 atc250 will it work with a 88 cdi if I change the plugs?
It's so weird it was running strong last weekend at the track then it just cut out maybe its time for a cr ignition

DnB_racing
07-23-2011, 07:38 AM
with someone else helping to kick it for you , check for spark with them kicking it, and while they are kicking try moving and lightly wiggling the wires at the cdi connector.. Ive seen this happen several times, that the wire connections inside the connectors, is not good...

Im trying to get some numbers for updating the stock connectors just for that reason ...

and hopefully I will have replacement part numbers for all the connectors... im hoping to have them real soon

but give the giggling a try it might just be a bad connector connection

dirtycj5
07-23-2011, 08:52 PM
i just checked the coils agian 1 comes out 0.0 ohms and the outher comes out 0.6 ohms when i check them yesterday i was getting 0.1 and 0.3 i think all ignition need to be replaced with new stuff i even tryed 2 multmeters

dirtycj5
08-01-2011, 07:16 PM
fixed the 250r
the problem was the coil. it would short out when it came warm

but i also replaced the cdi with a ricks hot cdi off ebay. the cdi gave it just a tad more grunt on the bottom end.