PDA

View Full Version : pop pop pop?

01boneless
07-22-2011, 10:59 AM
hey guy my ex has a 11;1 high comp pistin no air box lid uni filter and fmf power core slip on pipe. its jetted at 158 main and pilot 38 (stock) now it runs great has great power and sounds good and plug is light brown and a little greyish but on hard decel like going hard in low gear decel it pops some not much just a slight pop. now if i raise the pilot up to a 42 will the pop go away? also keep in mind the spark arrester screen has been cut out (previous owner) for some reason could that cause this slight pop?

chronicsmoke
07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
hey guy my ex has a 11;1 high comp pistin no air box lid uni filter and fmf power core slip on pipe. its jetted at 158 main and pilot 38 (stock) now it runs great has great power and sounds good and plug is light brown and a little greyish but on hard decel like going hard in low gear decel it pops some not much just a slight pop. now if i raise the pilot up to a 42 will the pop go away? also keep in mind the spark arrester screen has been cut out (previous owner) for some reason could that cause this slight pop?

I had that problem on my 450r and the solution was to change the Pilot to a 50. The stock one is a bit lean, even on a stock bike. (as I understand it)

The 400ex has the "choke mod" that uses a 42 pilot, I think youd fix your problem with that

honda400ex2003
07-22-2011, 04:03 PM
42 pilot will get you where you need to be with about 2.5 turns out on the f/a should help out also.

otherwise go out to 3.5 turns out on the f/a screw and see how that does with the 38 pilot. at the very least go out 1/2 turn at a time until it goes away. over 3.5 turns and you need to up the main.
steve

01boneless
07-22-2011, 08:21 PM
ok so first ? is if i screw the a/f screw in it becomes richer right? alos can i get rid of the pop by pricking with the a/f screw? if not what size pilot 40 or 42?

honda400ex2003
07-23-2011, 08:52 AM
turning screw out is richer, the stock position is 2.25 turns out. you can go to 3.5 pretty easy but dont go further than that.

if that doesnt work get a 42 and put in there and go back to 2.5 turns out on the f/a screw.

steve

MidnightBlade
07-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I raised my pilot to a 42, I have a 155 main with a HMF slip-on and UNI filter. My plug is light gray and I have a pop, as does almost everyone else I ride with. As long as it aint shootin' flames on decel you should be fine ;), I remember when mine was stock everything I had a pop through the stock pipe

On Edit: I haven't gotten ambitious enough yet to grind the cover off the F/A screw so it is still stock

CJM
07-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Mine pops, quite a bit if you go from high gear and fast and downshift like crazy. I left it be.

honda400ex2003
07-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade

On Edit: I haven't gotten ambitious enough yet to grind the cover off the F/A screw so it is still stock

which isnt required anyway. all you need is a flat head screw driver.

steve