PDA

View Full Version : Seat Latch Q

CJM
07-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Does everyones seat latch have a large notch in it that the lever part of the latch thats on the seat goes into? Mine seems worn in that area. I have shimmed the latch on the subframe with washers and its tight but of course it still comes loose b/c the bolts loosen a bit.

If someone would be so kind as to provide a picture of the latch on the subframe Id greatly appreciate it. Like I said mine seems worn, I mean unless its to have a notch in the subframe latch or is it supposed to be straight?

This is the only picture I could find, the part circled in red is worn on the underside quite a bit and has a large notch in it where it seems the leve rpart of the latch rubbed.

finsteratv
07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
i just locked mine up in the trailer..but i'll see if i can help you out.

CJM
07-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Would appreciate it.

PaRedneckRiders
07-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Mine was also like that.
I think i may have an omf style seat latch laying around in the garage pm me if your interested.
Got in as a trade but never put the seat latch on because of the fact you have to remove the stock plastic locating pins on the bottom of the seat.

Baileygunns
07-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Just went down and looked at my Wife's bike and that round piece has a notch in it.... But I'm positive that's from wear. There's no way Honda took the time to notch out a piece of round bar for the seat latch plus it feels uneven on hers. Think about how much your seat rattles on that hinge from taking it on and off, normal vibration and the constant body weight coming on and off it...

I would have sent you the one she has on hers if it wasn't worn... I just put a 250R style OMF seat latch on it that takes the stock hook off.

CJM
07-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the offer for the OMF latch, but Im not to game to chop the seat like that right now.

I think Ill take some epoxy and build the latch area up and see about tightening it all up somehow.

I change my mind PA ill hity a up tho.

Baileygunns
07-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Go with the omf... The posts are much stronger and it's a clean cut job. No hacked up mess at all

Stickman400
07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Don't know if it matters now but here's a couple pics of mine. It isn't all that worn, pretty smooth to be honest. So I'd say yours is deff. worn.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0099.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0101.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0108.jpg

CJM
07-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh yea mines worn pretty bad then. I clearly have a notch in it.

Ill buy a new one or maybe build mine up with epoxy. Honestly its a dumb design, I always hated how the rear fenders come off this thing. Flip top subframe would be cool but way to $$$.

Baileygunns
07-23-2011, 03:43 PM
CJM, not for nothin' but that epoxy isn't going to hold... Look into that OMF latch, I can post pics of the one I just put on my wife's bike... Best way to go, hands down.

dxcody
07-23-2011, 04:47 PM
lol mine doesnt even latch hardly and my little release lever for the seat doesnt move properly, i have to use my foot to get my lever to move........

dont have to worry about mine getting loose and rattling tho! Or coming off tho.

Yes i agree poor design, especially how you have to try to get the front of the seat into place on the gas tank.

Fliptop subframe would be awesome, especially if it was HD spring loaded so you could put like cats and stuff on it and launch them off.

CJM
07-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
CJM, not for nothin' but that epoxy isn't going to hold... Look into that OMF latch, I can post pics of the one I just put on my wife's bike... Best way to go, hands down.

Ill see bailey.

What I was gonna do with the epoxy is bond it to the metal-usually it works for me. If not Ill just throw a bead of weld on it and sand it down.

Dont get me wrong, I like the OMF-I just dont feel like doing all of that right now.