PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Bushings

fromtheside88
07-21-2011, 12:58 PM
So after riding my quad for the last three months trying to figure out why it was shaking so bad i realized the axle was loose and the swingarm bushings are completely shot........does anyone have any idea how this happened or to keep it from happening in the future or does it just happen thanks

CJM
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
The swingarm bushings are bearings, to replace them is a real pain in the behind. Usually involves sawing apart the swinger, the bolt or both sometimes.

Your sure its not just the carrier bearings, located inside the axle carrier where the axle slides into?

DnB_racing
07-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by fromtheside88
So after riding my quad for the last three months trying to figure out why it was shaking so bad i realized the axle was loose and the swingarm bushings are completely shot........does anyone have any idea how this happened or to keep it from happening in the future or does it just happen thanks im not sure what you mean when you say swingarm bushings, but if your having problems with the pivot bearings, and the pivot bolt, its from electrolysis,

and electrolysis is present in any dissimilar metals that have an electric current passing Thru them

first thing is a pivot has terrible continuity and as such makes a terrible connection to ground!!and the corrosion is caused by galvanic action, not dirt!!

so the first issue is the grounds Honda uses are small but they use several to make up for the size, the problem comes in when we make a race harness and remove the extra wires or paint over the frame ...

if you use a larger ground you will help this issue! that being said ground connections must be good, a lot of times after powder coating if the grounds aren't cleaned of and the path is forced though the pivot, and causes corrosion!!

also like I said earlier the pivot makes a terrible connection, and there isn't anything to make it better, so instead of making it better make it a worse connection by using dielecrtc grease upon assembly!!electricity follows the easiest path!

so in conclusion the way to avoid the problem is by using a proper size ground, having good connections to ground ,and by taking the pivot point out of the path of the ground by using dielectric grease or some other type of non conductive lube or better yet molycoat..

if you use a stainless steel bolt instead of fixing grounds then they could actually corrode the rest of the parts worse, then with hardened steel because of there higher Anodic index is higher making them more prone to corrode the parts that they come in contact with

CJM
07-21-2011, 02:18 PM
FWIW If your gonna talk swingarm bolt PITA, I used some anti-seize and it hasnt given me a fit yet.

fromtheside88
07-23-2011, 08:45 PM
the whole swingarm lose so i kno it has nothin to do with where the axle goes and the axle is a whole nother story, i can fix that with no problem i have just never messed with an entire swingarm before just wonderin how big of a pain in the a** it was gonna b

CJM
07-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Pivot works carriers the swingarm bearings kit you need-it isnt cheap.

YOu will also find its a true pain to get the swingarm off like I said earlier. Use lots of PBlaster, chain lube, anything and spray it up good for about a week. Then go at it. You may wind up cutting it off.