PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ice????

jpfmotors
07-21-2011, 07:09 AM
I am about to run an xc race in new england this weekend the outside temp is suppose to reach upwords of 95+ degrees has anyone usedor recommend some type of coolant additive to lower engine temps like Engine Ice plusses and minuses thanks

patrickj75
07-21-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm running Engine Ice in my 450R this year. I run TT mainly. I don't have a fan and the temps have been around 160 I think.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-21-2011, 09:58 AM
engine ice would be a good addition for this heat, just make sure you flush the system and remember you can't mix a different antifreeze with the engine ice.

KEVIN132
07-21-2011, 10:25 PM
we run no fan and oversize radiators and we use race car coolant its about $45 a gallon

evans coolant is the name

coryatver
07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Engine ice is a Propylene glycol base. Non toxic but it oxidizes causing corrosion and has a lower boiling point than ethylene glycol.

Read your owners manual it will say use ethylene glycol coolant(regular car antifreeze).

Also Engine ice gels up and clogs up everything. It also oxidizes and does not work as good as a coolant as ethylene glycol (regular car antifreeze) not to mention it is WAY overpriced.

Ethylene glycol(normal antifreeze) cools better and doesn't cause corrosion but is toxic. Ethylene glycol also not only has a higher boiling point but also better heat transfer properties than engine ice.

Evans coolant is also propylene glycol but it contains no water like Engine Ice does. The drawback of Evans is it doesn't have as good of heat transfer characteristics(no water) and it raises the boiling point so much that it won't boil and let you know that your bike is overheating and melting all the seals and destroying bearings.

I believe the best bet is regular antifreeze and mix in a little water wetter to bump up the boiling point a little.

But if you ask your local shop they are going to say whatever they think will get you to buy a 50 dollar bottle of that engine ice crap.

Do a search on here and see the people that had to clean nasty gel stuff out of there coolant system and had overheating problems from using engine ice.

KEVIN132
07-22-2011, 02:42 AM
interesting.. i had no idea..

i do know tho i have run evans now for 4 yrs and every time ive split my cases and done tranny work everything looks great with no gelling or oxidation. it does not overheat thats for sure . in my sons bike tho we run engine ice and when i rip it down this winter ill let u know what we find in his. evans is very expensive..and has paid for itself with me so far :)

XC_Racer_129
07-22-2011, 09:47 AM
I've ran engine ice the last few seasons and never had an issue with it.

robinson446
07-22-2011, 02:39 PM
i had a problem running ice .its chemicals in it messed with my top end gaskets and orings , just sayin we run honda hp coolant now

Lquad71
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by robinson446
i had a problem running ice .its chemicals in it messed with my top end gaskets and orings , just sayin we run honda hp coolant now

same here.im done with engine ice. ive moved on to honda coolant.

piglet400ex
07-22-2011, 06:37 PM
i have had good luck using redline water wetter.
it will mix with all antifreeze

jpfmotors
07-24-2011, 05:06 AM
I have heard good things about water wetter also i did not know about the corrioson of engine ice thanks for the info

rollie
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
I've been running engine ice for 5 years with no problems, and absolutely no signs of corrosion or gelling when i rebuilt the motor, not saying it doesn't happen, but i've had good luck

upnorthridered
07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
i have been running amsoil coolant boost this summer doing harescrambles and the first race it was soo muddy i thought for sure i would have overheated but it didnt and there were alot of guys who did over heat

Dave400ex
07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
I ran Engine Ice for several years with no issues. I think the best coolant to get is GT Thunder's.

arTuReX
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I been Running Engine Ice since 2008 so far so good!