PDA

View Full Version : My 2011 Laeger ProTrax Build "Orange Crush"

stever250r
07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Well now that the 88 stocker is up and running for the girlfriend I can get back to building a MX quad for myself. I debated over the colors for days. I am personally a sucker for anything Orange, and while drinking a Diet Crush at work one day, I decided to go with the colors on the Crush Soda Can... Silly, but that's how it started and it just stuck, so I took a dive and went with some off colors... Orange, White, and a Translucent Green for some accents..I also decided to have some parts faded...Since I will be running white plastic, I wanted the bike to be Orange at the core, and transition to the White.. Something different, that I wanted to try... I dont know... I am a gambling man I guess...

At this point, I am questioning my color choice, but I am hoping as it goes together the Blacks and the Polished Aluminum will mix it up and tone it down a bit..I guess we will see...

I have the wishlist... ESR Powerplant, and Billet Parts...Motowoz Shocks, Fullbores,OMF Wheels, Fourwerx Carbon.. etc. etc.. but I always end up changing my mind, so I expect some things will change.

I have a few parts already tucked away, so I will start piecing on the parts that I have and can install this weekend.

This will be a slow moving build thread, but I will update as I make any significant progress.

Throw on some sunglasses...Pictures are coming... :cool:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/075.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/073.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/079.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/077.jpg

KSRRider
07-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Sweet. I like the contrast. Different is good!

250Renvy
07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
The fades are definitely cool and original.

It is seriously hard to come up with a cool, original and eye popping color scheme.
This should definitely stand out.

I'll wait to see how it comes together to see if I like the green.

danhung11
07-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Powder looks awesome. Makes me kind of thirsty! :D

Grande Huevos
07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
i think its gonna look dope! i like how u faded the orange to white. I just finished my bike its orange black and polished allum and i think it looks pretty good. i have a thread on this page "the ressurection" u should check out, it might give u a lil better idea of how it will look assembled???

BULLET99Z28
07-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Very sharp man! Makes me feel like my Black n Chrome build is kinda plain. Ahh well, keep us posted.

racerx167
07-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Very original I must say, but I am a little curious about the green CR500 link you having laying there along with the no-link swingarm?

SilverLake250R
07-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by racerx167
Very original I must say, but I am a little curious about the green CR500 link you having laying there along with the no-link swingarm?

Both look like standard link to me.

Very original, I am gonna watch this for sure to see how it all comes together!

stever250r
07-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by racerx167

Silverlake is correct.. This is a Standard Link Rear Laeger, and that is a standard link 88 Length dogbone, and a Laeger Standard Link, 17.5' Swingarm...

Thanks for the replies.... I am sure there will be some that like the colors, others will want to puke at the site of it.. LOL... Heck, I myself am still a little skeptical and unsure of how its going to turn out, but thats the fun of it... The more I look at it, the more I wish I would have coated the Steering Stem solid white rather than fade it to break up the Orange in the Front.. Oh well.. If I had to the change the color everytime I changed my mind, I would never get any further than the frame..

White Fullbores Dan..... I'm wanting some White Fullbores....

racerx167
07-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Good to know, thanks guys!!

maryland450r
07-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Very cool looking so far! Especially how you faded the colors together, not something you see often. I am looking forward to seeing more of this build.

socal
07-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Looks amazing man!I love orange as well.Creamsicle ha,ha (orange crush sounds better),my friend built a 63 Impala low rider for show and its named orange crush!!! I would do a more neutral color shock,maybe PEP or Axis,not sure how the blue on the Motowoz would look?

troybilt
07-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Looks great Steve, let me know if you still wanna play around with some graphics

stever250r
07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Looks great Steve, let me know if you still wanna play around with some graphics

Thanks Everyone...

I would love for you to play around with some graphics for this one Troy. No big hurry though...

I got a little of the assembly done this weekend.. It was just too hot to spend much time in the garage. I need to get new swingarm bearings, bolt and TM Designworks Chain Guide then I can mount the Swingarm, Axle, rear Caliper, Hubs etc..

I am going to have to modify the steering stablizer mount to get it to mount correctly where I want it. I like it under the tank so I can adjust it while sitting on the bike..

Since I have to replace my front Hubs, I didn't feel like rebuilding the calipers yet so the front brakes are just on there for mock up. The lines are supposedly +3 but they seem really, really long.. Weird :ermm:

Oh well, Heres a few pictures of the Weekend Progress....

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/051.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/053.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/052.jpg

TRUTH
07-24-2011, 05:30 PM
I will be keeping my eye on this build. Very interesting!

profab250R
07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
That color scheme is dope! Dont second guess the colors, I would consider the orange fullbore plastics to compliment the frame,butwhite would look sweet too!

89trx250r
07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
yeah that thing is gonna look so nasty when its done ive always wonder'd why people didnt go with the gradient effect on powder ever 1 solid color seems outdated lol :)

dtowndiesel
07-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Looks great so far! I really applaude your willingness to think outside the lines and try something totally different with the color scheme, I think it's really going to pay off. I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full so I sent you an Email through the forum instead. Let me know if you get it or not!

stever250r
07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by dtowndiesel
Looks great so far! I really applaude your willingness to think outside the lines and try something totally different with the color scheme, I think it's really going to pay off. I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full so I sent you an Email through the forum instead. Let me know if you get it or not!

Doug,

I replied to your email...... My PM box hasn't worked in years....Wish I could get it fixed....

Thanks everyone....Hopefully I will be able to make some more progress this weekend..Supposed to be scorching hot here the next few days so I doubt I will be spending any time in the garage...

troybilt
07-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by stever250r
Doug,

I replied to your email...... My PM box hasn't worked in years....Wish I could get it fixed....

Thanks everyone....Hopefully I will be able to make some more progress this weekend..Supposed to be scorching hot here the next few days so I doubt I will be spending any time in the garage...

That heat has been here for ~14 days now... just get you a big fan from Home Depot, that's what I did and it was manageable then... nothing keeps me from working in the garage... haha..

danhung11
07-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
That heat has been here for ~14 days now... just get you a big fan from Home Depot, that's what I did and it was manageable then... nothing keeps me from working in the garage... haha..

It feels like a big hair dryer. :D

skyeryder
07-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by stever250r

Doug,

Have you ever cleaned out your sent box? Can't wait to see how this one turns out keep em coming

stever250r
08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Well the weather has finally cooled enough this week to spend a few hours in the garage. I've made a little progress. Nothing real substantial but its coming together.

I am not sure what I am going to do with these Nerf Bars. I need to order replacement nets, but I am thinking of having the nerfs powder coated. I guess it just depends on how well they clean up. I haven't spent any time trying to do that yet.

I am also debating on whether to powder the UM Design Rock Guard for the Radiator in the Translucent Green to add some contrast while viewing from the front. I know for sure I am going to powder the rear master cylinder guard in the green. Maybe the tie rods.. Opinions are welcome...

I finally found the sweet spot for the steering stabilizer where it clears the tank, and has full motion without any binding. That was a chore, but I like the stabilizer under the tank so I can adjust it on the fly if I have too..

I will finish up the rear end, with matching green brake line and rebuilt caliper, then I need to find some replacement hubs and another set of ASV levers for the front end. Jerry is working on my RTC replica shrouds.

I guess after that I am going to start rebuilding my bottom end..

Heres the latest..The Sun and the Shadows dont really make for the best pics

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/IMAG0119.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/IMAG0121.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/IMAG0124.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/SteveR250R/Laeger%20250R/IMAG0123.jpg

HAYESTRX250R
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm with everyone esle on the faded PC work. Looks great.

dquarton
08-11-2011, 08:47 PM
As I am seeing this come together it is growing on me! Cant wait to see the progress!

D Bergstrom
08-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by dquarton
As I am seeing this come together it is growing on me!

I am with you. At first I wasn't to sure on the fade, but I am starting to like it! Should be a good looking 250R when it is done.

I saw in your first post you were thinking about running Motowoz shocks. I currently have a Motowoz rear on my stock link 250R that I may be selling in a month or two, thinking about going to a no-link frame/swingarm. If you are interested, let me know and I will PM you some info.

Doug

TRUTH
08-18-2011, 03:58 PM
The fade is killller!!!!!! Looking great man. Keep up the good work.

stever250r
08-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Hey Guys... I am wanting some opinions before making a definite decision on having some more parts Powder Coated.... I have went backwards instead of forward, and have actually removed some of the parts I had installed to take back to the Powder Coater..

First.... What color do you guys think I should Powdercoat the Engine Center Cases?.... I cant decide whether I should have them coated Orange to match the Frame, or Keep them Black, and have the Engine Be a combination of Black and Polished Parts..or Orange, Black and Polished Parts...

I also want to add a touch more Green to the Bike, so I thought about Coating the Handlebars, TieRods, Front Master Cylinder, Radiator Guard, Antifade, and Sprocket Hub in the Green Translucent...

Its hard to picture what things will look like ahead of time, and I hate to spend the money on Powder Coat and then realize I dont like it, or its not what I wanted afterwards...

What do you all think? I would really like some opinions...

Oh... and BTW.. .I was able to find another set of Merrel Extreme Front Hubs to replace the set that was ruined. I have them already, and I am going to take them to have them Powder Coated Green as well. .Hopefully he will not try to use Chemicals to strip the Anodize again...

dquarton
08-26-2011, 09:54 AM
I have never been a fan of cases being any other color than black or polished. Maybe I am boring, but every time I run across a bike with oddly painted cases I cringe. They seem to look worse as time goes by and the paint fades. It will also greatly increase the resale value of the motor should you ever want to sell it. I like the idea of the added translucent greeen on the tie rods and other parts.....

stever250r
08-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by dquarton
I have never been a fan of cases being any other color than black or polished. Maybe I am boring, but every time I run across a bike with oddly painted cases I cringe. They seem to look worse as time goes by and the paint fades. It will also greatly increase the resale value of the motor should you ever want to sell it. I like the idea of the added translucent greeen on the tie rods and other parts..... .

Thanks Dale.... I really think I feel the same way about the engine... I have seem some Powdercoated Center cases that I liked, but I think for this bike it might be a bit too much.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinon..

TRUTH
08-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey man,
In my opinion, black and polished on the motor. I have never been happy with the end result when I do the motor the same color as the chassis. I think it looks muddy so to speak. A clean black and polished motor would be the cats PJ's haha.

89trx250r
08-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Idk how much you like that green but you could do the center cases that nice green color being as you said you wanted to introduce more green to the bike...Also it wouldnt be as bright as the orange and i think chrome would accent the green nicely if you went with stator cover, jug, clutch side all polished in all honesty it depends on what you like the best but so far i really think your bike is gonna be a head turner good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

reconmaster
08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
very nice project you got love the color scheme!

banshee33
08-28-2011, 01:32 PM
dude that R is looking good,keep up the good work,very nice!

IRISH-RACER-14
08-28-2011, 07:02 PM
representing us irish with them colours man :D nice bike

stever250r
08-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
representing us irish with them colours man :D nice bike

YES SIR!!......Last name of Roark here....The Surname O'Rourke dates back to 1172 and was one of Ireland's great princely families from Breffney.....I'm plan on racing this in my Kilt..

IRISH-RACER-14
08-29-2011, 05:15 AM
the kilt comes from scotland but i actually know alot of people with the name o'rourke. you should really do an irish theme it would be cool.

fastrnrik
08-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Miami Hurricane colors! LOL I like it, it's cool & unique!

250Renvy
02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Bumping to see if there is any updates.

socal
02-17-2012, 02:27 PM
+1 on updates!!!

trx250r1
02-18-2012, 06:18 AM
I'v got some bright orange nets for a/c nerfs that have never been used that would look sweet on this quad!